Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

TrailerMate X10 Brake Controller--good controller?

We need to get a brake controller (never pulled anything heavy enough to need brakes before), and in searching etrailer.com, I've narrowed it down to the TrailerMate X10 or the Tekonsha Prodigy P3. AFter factoring in shipping and the wiring to plug it in to my 2003 GMC Yukon XL's junction box, the Tekonsha is going to be just over $60 more.

I don't think I need any of the "extra" features of the Tekonsha P3. As best I can tell, those features are:
  • Configurable display color
  • Remember settings for different trailers
  • Display error *message*, not just code you have to lookup in the manual

In addition, it seems that the Tekonsha P3 is well known, whereas the TrailerMate X10 is not. I can't find many reviews on it.

Is the TrailerMate X10 a reputable unit? If the only extra features of the P3 are what I listed above, I'm happy to save a few bucks and skip them. Interested to hear feedback from more seasoned folks.

Thanks!

-Josh
jbeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

I cant give any first hand on the X10 but I do really love my P3. It was well worth the money. Only thing I noticed on the X10 was there was no mention of how it is affected by hills. The P3 has built in software that negates the effects of hills.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Honestly, the wording for the X10 sounds a lot like the Tekonsha wording for the P2 or P3. I wonder if the X10 is made by Tekonsha, and simply rebadged.

Anyway, if you want the Tekonsha (I recommend it), but don't need the bells and whistles on the P3, then get the P2. These 2 controllers function identically, but the P2 has the same old basic readout as the original Prodigy. My Prodigy is now finishing it's 11th season without a problem.

etrailer has the P2 for $125
rvwholesalers also has for $125

I suspect the X10 is probably on par with the lesser Tekonsha Primus ($95).

Personally, there are SOOOOO many recommendations for the P2 or P3, based on the historical experience with the Prodigy. For something you will use for at least 10 years, why sweat $40? Get the P2.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

The Prodigy products are very, very good. My current truck has a factory installed built-in brake controller, and I actually miss my P2 in my last truck. I would go with the P2 if you want to save a few bucks (and there are often used ones for sale here).

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Agree. You can't buy a tank of gas for $40. I have a P2 that is now on it's third TV.
rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, trailer, brakes