Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
daydreaming about camping

We used to have a Flagstaff HW27SC: Flagstaff Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River

We loved the trailer but decided to go bigger (we already had a large tow vehicle.) We camped one weekend across from some people with a Sienna or Odyssey (I cannot always tell the difference) who were pulling a similar trailer. It was a good match for the van.

If set-up correctly, I am sure you could manage the Clipper by being vary careful with your weights. You would need to have a Honda shop set-up your van correctly with tow package including the transmission cooler, 7-pin trailer wiring, electronic brake control (do yourself a favor, and whatever RV you end up with, get a Prodigy brake controller) and hitch set-up. Then make sure you purchase a good WDH set-up, not the cheapie the dealer will offer you.

However you would probably more comfortable towing a pop-up. I love the way this Rockwood is set-up and looks.
Rockwood Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
While I had my popup, I spent a lot of time on www.popupexplorer.com (aka "PUX"). This is the source for anything popups. You'll find plenty of my old posts under my same username. You will find plenty of Odyssey and other minivan owners defending their ability to tow within their limits safely and effectively. You'll get lots of help there as far as your tow vehicle goes.

If you end up with a ForestRiver family popup, be sure to stick around here, too!
Thank you. I went back to the dealer on Monday. I transfered my money to a pop up. I am scheduled to pick up a Coachman Clipper 108 sport pop up on Friday. We do plan to camp mainly at campgrounds. I would have loved the convenience of the Bunkhouse, but the pop up definately gives us more space. It has lots of great features (outdoor shower, ac, heated beds). We bought a self contained toilet for the kiddos middle of the night bathroom needs. It cost 2000 less than the bunkhouse, and the dry weight is approximately 2000 pounds after the ac was added. It sleeps 7, so we can bring family if we choose. The pop up is probably the better fit, and I am not in fear of burning up my van. The advice from everyone is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
Moderators' Assistant

glad you were able to decide on something that meets your family's needs and still will be an easy tow for the Honda.

here's to great future memories/adventures for you and your family.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

I do not recommend any of the highwall models for a minivan. Both of those links (respectfully) point to highwall popups that have a dry weight greater than 2800 lbs. By the time factory and dealer options are installed, and you load with gear, you will not be able to keep it under 3500 lbs, which is why these popups have GVWR of 3800 lbs or more. You really need to keep the dry weight limit to 2500 to have any chance. Our 2000 Coleman Mesa (12ft box, no slideout) was about 2350 dry, around 2500 actual empty weight, and 3000-3100 loaded (depending on the trip and what we needed to load in the front storage trunk).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I do not recommend any of the highwall models for a minivan. Both of those links (respectfully) point to highwall popups that have a dry weight greater than 2800 lbs. By the time factory and dealer options are installed, and you load with gear, you will not be able to keep it under 3500 lbs, which is why these popups have GVWR of 3800 lbs or more. You really need to keep the dry weight limit to 2500 to have any chance. Our 2000 Coleman Mesa (12ft box, no slideout) was about 2350 dry, around 2500 actual empty weight, and 3000-3100 loaded (depending on the trip and what we needed to load in the front storage trunk).
hmmm, I had to go back and look at my link. Turns out these have gotten heavier, or my memory was not at it's best. I recalled our '11 27SC was around 2800 loaded.

Going by the information posted, I concur, the HW series would be a little too much.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmak View Post
Thank you. I went back to the dealer on Monday. I transfered my money to a pop up. I am scheduled to pick up a Coachman Clipper 108 sport pop up on Friday. We do plan to camp mainly at campgrounds. I would have loved the convenience of the Bunkhouse, but the pop up definately gives us more space. It has lots of great features (outdoor shower, ac, heated beds). We bought a self contained toilet for the kiddos middle of the night bathroom needs. It cost 2000 less than the bunkhouse, and the dry weight is approximately 2000 pounds after the ac was added. It sleeps 7, so we can bring family if we choose. The pop up is probably the better fit, and I am not in fear of burning up my van. The advice from everyone is greatly appreciated.
You'll have no problem with the 108. Looking at Coachman site, you could handle the 126, 127, or 128. But the 108 might not need the WDH. Check the numbers after you get it delivered and loaded up. Have fun!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #27
GGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I don't want to put you off but going by some on this forum if it weighs more that 32oz you might have a problem.
The OP has to be comfortable on what he is towing, but I completely 100% agree with your statement. I usually don't post in a towing thread but when I saw this one I had to .

When we decided to move up from our Coleman Utah p-up to a Coleman Niagara HW p-up in 2010 (which people said was too heavy for our brand new 2010 Toyota Sienna) we went to the one and only experts (that I am aware of) on towing, Can Am RV and they set up our van. This year we decided to move up to a TT and went back to Can Am and bought our trailer and also had them fine tune the set up (new WD and dual sway control due to length of trailer).

Here is what we are towing now;

So far we have towed this trailer for over 5000 miles and out of that was a 3600 mile trip to the east coast of Canada and back. Our van has nearly 50K miles on it now and we have towed nearly 25K miles with it since we picked it up in 2010 and that has been towing the Niagara with it until this year. I change the oil every 3000 miles and I changed the trans oil every 30K and I replaced the breaks at 38K miles. Other than regular required maintenance by Toyota we have had no issues with our van .

DDC, how is your Tourage, my other vehicle is on it's last leg and I am looking at the Tourage and the ML350 (diesel) as I do a lot of milage on a daily basis. PM me with your answers, thanks.

Sorry to highjack the thread.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
That is not always correct. The dry weight quoted for my TT (Surveyor) included all of that except the battery.

OP:
I cannot comment on towing with an odyssey or any minivan as far as that goes but I will say that there is all sorts of hyperbole on here about what one can tow from both sides. You need to research the facts and make the decision on your own. What is your actual hitch weight? You can alter your load in your TT to vary that amount (make sure you always have 10% of the load on your hitch). Frontal area only affects you on the highway. It will kill your gas mileage (just like everyone else) and make hills more difficult. Where are wanting to tow? Flat land? Cross country? In the mountains? What kind of load will you be taking with you? These are (some) the questions that need to be asked and answered.

Make your decision on logic and facts...not based on someone saying something and another poster going Yikes!
x2!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #29

This should get interesting...
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #30

We started out with the "Oddity" pulling a 17' hybrid. The only problem I had with it was the rear suspension was too soft to take all that weight, even with a WDH. Bottomed out on the hitch once over a speed bump. So still get a good distro hitch and sway control since even a pup can play around with you at highway speeds. Oh, and one more thing. You'll want to stop that trailer from time to as well. Get a trailer brake controller installed. I'd recommend the Prodigy. Worked great for me.