Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

Trans cooler for Honda Oddyssey

We purchased a coachman clipper weighing approximately 2900 lbs. We plan to tow it with our 2009 Honda Oddyssey. We were thinking of waiting to put a trans cooler on at tax time. It around 70 degrees here in Md. Does anyone tow without a trans cooler. We are new to campers, so we appreciate all opinions.
kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

As far as I know all rigs with an auto tranny have a cooler, installing a after market would help when it is hot or you are in the hills pulling hard.

I think you will be fine.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Site Team

i have to tell you that if you bought the 17BH, you will exceed the Honda's hitch capacity.
the 17BH has a fictional "dry" hitch weight of 406lbs.
your actual loaded hitch weight will easily exceed the Honda's max capacity, since its tow capacity is only 3500lbs.

as to the trans cooler, if you got the factory tow package, a trans cooler would be part of that.
and if you expect to pull a TT with a minivan, a good WDH with sway control is a must.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

Yikes, thats pretty scary. We were planning on getting the weight distribution package when we had the hitch put on. Now, I am wondering if I should try to get my deposit back. I don't want to blow up my van, nor do I want to buy a truck for camping. We went with a smaller travel trailer because of the weight.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmak View Post
yikes, thats pretty scary. We were planning on getting the weight distribution package when we had the hitch put on. Now, i am wondering if i should try to get my deposit back. I don't want to blow up my van, nor do i want to buy a truck for camping. We went with a smaller travel trailer because of the weight.
do not tow with your odessey, you will tear it up!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Just trade the Honda in for a Peterbilt and satisfy all the naysayers. You can't pull even a lawn cart without at least a 3/4T.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just trade the Honda in for a Peterbilt and satisfy all the naysayers. You can't pull even a lawn cart without at least a 3/4T.
Then upgrade to a fifth wheel.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Then upgrade to a fifth wheel.
Looks like he needs some airbags. She's a little down in the back.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
DDC

I have seen the odyssey set up to tow airstreams and I had remembered reading about others towing with them too, here is one I copied from another forum, hope it helps.

We tow a 30' Excella with our 2010 Odyssey, with 7 passengers in the Odyssey. If properly set up it is an excellent tow vehicle. Last summer we towed it nearly 7,000 miles, including twice through the Rockies. Mileage was approx. 13mpg for the trip, and then a wonderful 25 to 30mpg when not towing - which is about 90% of the year for most people. Towing was absolutely stable (we have a Hensley Arrow hitch) - we felt nary a cross-wind or push/pull from passing vehicles the entire trip.

Talk to the experts at CanAM (Andrew T has commented above already) - they know their towing specs and can answer any of your technical questions and concerns about ratings, warranties, etc. There are plenty of 'experts' on these forums who will weigh in (as above already) about the manufacturer's towing capacity, but that is the only item they focus on when towing involves so much more than that. And none of those posters have ever tried it, whereas CanAM has set up hundreds of Odyssey's and likely thousands of other combinations - tried, tested and true experience that has not let them down.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Team

just be aware, CanAm is the ONLY place i know of that, that promotes exceeding auto manufacturers' specs. i've never seen any other dealer in the U.S. that follows this line of thinking.

yes, they do some unusual setups but usually with Airstream trailers, which are very different than conventional travel trailers.

if you want to spend the money for an Airstream and CanAm's tinkering, then go for it.
and remember, they are in Canada and probably exempt from a lawsuit if something goes wrong.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

Thank you. I am really afraid we may have jumped the gun placing a deposit on this trailer. It seemed perfect for our needs/wants. Now I am not so sure.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Site Team

DDC's statement of other factors in towing is correct.

but you focused simply on the "dry" weight and not any of the other numbers.

the brochure/website "dry" weight of 2818lbs. does NOT include the weights of:
awning, a/c, oven, spare tire, battery and other things. it's the weight of a stripped-down base model.
you can add 200-300lbs. to that number to get a ballpark weight of what it actually weighs when it leaves the factory.
my Roo 23SS weighed 400lbs. OVER its brochure/website "dry" weight, when it left the factory. and it only had the normal "options".
so the Clipper could weigh 3100lbs. before you add propane, water and cargo.

and the actual hitch weight of the loaded Clipper will easily exceed the Honda's spec for that. Payload is the downfall of most minivans and another weight that many forget to factor in.

and then there the frontal area limit that most minivans have. as far as i know, other than a Airstream/HiLO/TrailManor, any conventional travel trailer's frontal area will exceed any minivan's max amount.

i have to respectfully disagree with DDC's recommendation for CanAm. minivans are excellent for what they are designed for, carrying a lot of people efficiently. unfortunately, the things that make a minivan great at that, are completely opposite what's needed for a good tow vehicle.
unibody construction, front wheel drive, high drive axle ratios just to mention a few.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Although your minivan may tow up to 3,500 lbs max, just make sure you have a trans cooler before you tow. This must be an external cooler (i.e not only routed thru the vehicle's radiator). Overall, just be aware of what your vehicle's tow rating and max hitch weight (check the owner's manual and your original window sticker). Do not go over the vehicle's tow ratings especially on a minivan. We previously towed a 3,000 lb pop-up with a Grand Caravan and we made sure it had a trans cooler. I've seen too many vehicles eventually fry their tranny without the cooler.

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
DDC

I forgot to add that you should add an external tranny cooler, the lower you keep that the better.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #15

Thank you everyone for the great information. We are going to see if we can transfer that deposit money on a lighter pop up. I guess if the dealer wants to make a sale, they will work with us. Otherwise, we are out 500 bucks, but get to keep our Oddyssey running. Any recommendations with a pop up?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmak View Post
Thank you everyone for the great information. We are going to see if we can transfer that deposit money on a lighter pop up. I guess if the dealer wants to make a sale, they will work with us. Otherwise, we are out 500 bucks, but get to keep our Oddyssey running. Any recommendations with a pop up?
I don't want to put you off but going by some on this forum if it weighs more that 32oz you might have a problem.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #17

You might check out this Honda website regarding towing.....Towing Package Odyssey - $763.16..... I would do a Google search on towing with an Odyssy . I don't think that came out right. Just do a google search and you will find plenty of dependable information. I would have no qualms towing with it.....
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #18

We towed 3000 lbs of trailer with Chrysler minivans over an 8 year period. But that 3000 lbs was the loaded weight, and it was a popup. I added a 400-lb rated Single Bar WDH to support the 375lb TW, friction sway controller, 12V/braking wiring, and a Prodigy brake controller (still going strong in the Mounty!).

The problem you will find (as has been said) is the loaded weight, which you would be lucky to keep under 3500 lbs, and the frontal area. Our Chrysler minivans had a 32 sq-ft frontal area limit, which is pretty much a popup (short & wide), or a utility trailer (tall but narrow). You get something tall and wide, regardless of weight, and it's like pulling a barn door thru the wind. Airstreams will be more aerodynamic (more forgiving).

If you want to stick with the minivan, and want to get away from tent camping, I highly recommend you look into a mid-sized popup camper, with a dry weight of no more than 2500 lbs. Even better, look up the combined vehicle rating (GCVWR) for your van, subtract all of your known weights, and see what you can handle. The good thing about minivans is that they typically can handle the full 3500 lbs of trailer, and still have enough GCVWR left over for the driver AND several hundred pounds more. Truck owners often don't understand how this is possible, but the proof is in the numbers. But that few hundred pounds would not be enough to cover your family and whatever else you put in the van.

I loved our time with the van/popup combo, especially the gas mileage when NOT towing. If you have any questions about it, send me a PM.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
DDC's statement of other factors in towing is correct.

the brochure/website "dry" weight of 2818lbs. does NOT include the weights of:
awning, a/c, oven, spare tire, battery and other things. it's the weight of a stripped-down base model.
you can add 200-300lbs. to that number to get a ballpark weight of what it actually weighs when it leaves the factory.

That is not always correct. The dry weight quoted for my TT (Surveyor) included all of that except the battery.

OP:
I cannot comment on towing with an odyssey or any minivan as far as that goes but I will say that there is all sorts of hyperbole on here about what one can tow from both sides. You need to research the facts and make the decision on your own. What is your actual hitch weight? You can alter your load in your TT to vary that amount (make sure you always have 10% of the load on your hitch). Frontal area only affects you on the highway. It will kill your gas mileage (just like everyone else) and make hills more difficult. Where are wanting to tow? Flat land? Cross country? In the mountains? What kind of load will you be taking with you? These are (some) the questions that need to be asked and answered.

Make your decision on logic and facts...not based on someone saying something and another poster going Yikes!
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #20

While I had my popup, I spent a lot of time on www.popupexplorer.com (aka "PUX"). This is the source for anything popups. You'll find plenty of my old posts under my same username. You will find plenty of Odyssey and other minivan owners defending their ability to tow within their limits safely and effectively. You'll get lots of help there as far as your tow vehicle goes.

If you end up with a ForestRiver family popup, be sure to stick around here, too!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote