Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Batts-toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRoo View Post
By one installed are you talking I should be fine with just the transmission cooler or should I go ahead with the engine oil cooler too right off the bat? Don't mind being cautious but don't want to spend more than I have to either.
With the size TT you have, personally I would only do the Tranny cooler. As long as your engine temp stays in the normal range I wouldn't worry about having the oil cooler unless you plan to do a lot of mountain climbing where your engine RPM's run high a lot.
__________________

__________________
Dale & Terri, Lulu & Tiki (our Chihuahua's), New rescue puppy Prince - Pom/Pug mix.
2013 Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7, TRD Off-Road, 4X4, Full Tow Package
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS - Sold
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
beerjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa ON
Posts: 111
I was in the same situation with my Suburban last spring when I bought the TT (3.42 rear). It is 5400 lb without cooler and 7900 lb with cooler.

The Suburban did not have the aux trans cooler (checked the build sheet with dealer). The trans fluid goes through the existing rad to warm it up initially then does a moderate job of cooling. You will find it will get really hot when the weather warms up.

I had GM put trans oil cooler in (not the GM build one but an OEM one). I towed 4000 km last summer down east up some big hills in 90+ degree weather at 3000+ rpm with AC on. My DIC never went above 200-210 F. At 265F the engine computer will slow you down and warn you to pull over to avoid damaging the trans and burning the fluid.

Have not had a need for an oil cooler.

My cousin is a mechanic, and he said to flush the transmission yearly since driving in the winter without towing does not push the fluid through the aux cooler with enough force, so it may clog up and cause problems in the summer when towing. Don't get a used cooler.
__________________

__________________

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
For the trans, I'd get an aftermarket cooler to help with the trans, install it on the return line from the radiator to the trans so that the coolest fluid goes to the trans. Flowing through the radiator heats it up to near engine temps but as stated, cools it down under a load.

Hayden PN 405 is a good option. I'm a rep for Hayden coolers, so if you have a cooler question I should be able to help.

As for oil, I'd see about getting the factory lines from a wrecking yard, then plumb in a new cooler. Best of both worlds there. A power steering cooler is a good option too.
__________________
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
BiigDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I feel the cost of the coolers is worth it, and would still pay close attention to your temps. I think the gauges are as important as the cooler, but be prepared to pull over and shut down as needed.
Sent by me

If you do experience higher temps, you would definitely want to pull over, but DO NOT shut the engine down. Let it run to circulate the fluid through the coolers until the temps drop, as shutting it down has the potential for overheated fluid to sit and cook... Welcome to the forum!
__________________
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
checca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Minooka, IL.
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRoo View Post
Thanks all for your responses! Learning a lot!


checca - Not to sound ignorant or anything, but you're towing a 7,000 lbs unit with a mid-size V6? Holy Cow! Good for you! Do you get the transmission flush every year or the fluid replacement?

**I also think I should mention that I do love my truck and it fits our family's needs beautifully.. the only possible hiccup is the trailering I do 5 - 8 times a year, which is not enough to upgrade (at this point of our lives) to a 3/4 ton. I guess I'm asking for answers with the TV I have now as I do feel, as it sits right now, that I have enough truck for what I'm towing; I just like to be conservative and extra-cautious.
I got a flush every year, the local oil change place has this machine Clore TT500 T-TECH Express ATF Exchange System

It's passive so you didn't need to worry about them overfilling or over pressuring the transmission. I also got normal filter changes at 100,000 miles. Your had to be conservative when towing, never went over 65mph. But I've towed all in the Midwest and foothills out east.
__________________
2013 Lacrosse 318bhs
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 flex fuel / Installed airlift ultimate 5000 air bags and smart lift automatic leveling system.
Yamaha EF2000iS 2000 Watt Inverter Generators
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
Member
 
BadgerRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Manitowoc
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerjay View Post
I was in the same situation with my Suburban last spring when I bought the TT (3.42 rear). It is 5400 lb without cooler and 7900 lb with cooler.

The Suburban did not have the aux trans cooler (checked the build sheet with dealer). The trans fluid goes through the existing rad to warm it up initially then does a moderate job of cooling. You will find it will get really hot when the weather warms up.

I had GM put trans oil cooler in (not the GM build one but an OEM one). I towed 4000 km last summer down east up some big hills in 90+ degree weather at 3000+ rpm with AC on. My DIC never went above 200-210 F. At 265F the engine computer will slow you down and warn you to pull over to avoid damaging the trans and burning the fluid.

Have not had a need for an oil cooler.

My cousin is a mechanic, and he said to flush the transmission yearly since driving in the winter without towing does not push the fluid through the aux cooler with enough force, so it may clog up and cause problems in the summer when towing. Don't get a used cooler.
Thanks for the advice! Do you flush your tranny before or after the winter then?
__________________
BadgerRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
Member
 
BadgerRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Manitowoc
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
For the trans, I'd get an aftermarket cooler to help with the trans, install it on the return line from the radiator to the trans so that the coolest fluid goes to the trans. Flowing through the radiator heats it up to near engine temps but as stated, cools it down under a load.

Hayden PN 405 is a good option. I'm a rep for Hayden coolers, so if you have a cooler question I should be able to help.

As for oil, I'd see about getting the factory lines from a wrecking yard, then plumb in a new cooler. Best of both worlds there. A power steering cooler is a good option too.

You reccommend the older tube and fin type coolers over the newer and supposedly more efficient designs?
__________________
BadgerRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
checca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Minooka, IL.
Posts: 169
I flushed every fall, once the trailer went into winter storage.
__________________
2013 Lacrosse 318bhs
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 flex fuel / Installed airlift ultimate 5000 air bags and smart lift automatic leveling system.
Yamaha EF2000iS 2000 Watt Inverter Generators
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Sgt. Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 269
Sounds like you would like to keep the Yukon for a while so both coolers are IMHO very good insurance - something from TRANSMISSION COOLERS | B&M Transmission Coolers - lightweight all-aluminum construction -- in addition good quality fluids (I prefer synthetic) changed at a regular interval.
Check with a good transmission shop you may need to beef up the RAD fans to move enough air with the additional coolers. I would look at a finned differential cover for the rear Mag-Hytec Performance Differential Covers - Truck Customizers if you find you are running near max capacity - look at changing the diff fluid every couple of years
__________________
PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
beerjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa ON
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRoo View Post
Thanks for the advice! Do you flush your tranny before or after the winter then?
My cousin recommended after the winter. The winter driving does not get up to the same RPMs as towing the trailer so there may be some buildup in the trans cooler.

I still can't believe the trans cooler didn't come with the HD trailer package on the Suburban. Has battery, cooling, alternator, suspension, Class 4 hitch upgrades etc.
__________________

__________________

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.