Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #21

This brings up a related topic, changing the trans fluid frequently. Most manufactures state trans fluid does not need to be changed until 100,000/50,000 miles. but depending the operating temp it may need to be done way sooner. Some said adding a trans cooler is cheap insurance so is changing the trans fluid. If you frequently run above 175 degrees requires more frequent changes

Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRoo View Post
You reccommend the older tube and fin type coolers over the newer and supposedly more efficient designs?
Yes, to a degree. Hayden coolers have turbulators inside the tube that causes the fluid to spin inside the tube, that results in the fluid exchanging heat very well, nearly as well as a newer design flat stack cooler. They're cost effective as well.

Would a Hayden 678 or 679 be better? Sure. Worth the added cost, in this case I think the added cost is unnecessary.

He'll be fine with either one honestly.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #23

You guys are great! Just want to clarify/get a consensus on how often the tranny fluid will need to be flushed/exchanged after I add the aftermarket cooler..

Does it really need to be flushed every year, or just more regularly/frequently? My local GM dealer charges $169.95 complete fluid exchange (included torque converter), install conditioner, and synthetic fluid replacement. I'm not cheap by any means, but $170/every yr. is definitely something that I want to make absolutely sure is 100% necessary.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #24

Yet another question!

My GM service center can install the cooler any time next week (I'm supplying them with the aftermarket cooler and they're fine with that). Given that we're still in winter here, should I wait until the spring to do this? Will the winter temps hurt the new cooler at all?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Yet another question!

My GM service center can install the cooler any time next week (I'm supplying them with the aftermarket cooler and they're fine with that). Given that we're still in winter here, should I wait until the spring to do this? Will the winter temps hurt the new cooler at all?
Do it now ... will not hurt.
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #26

Thumbs up

Quote:
You guys are great! Just want to clarify/get a consensus on how often the tranny fluid will need to be flushed/exchanged after I add the aftermarket cooler..

Does it really need to be flushed every year, or just more regularly/frequently? My local GM dealer charges $169.95 complete fluid exchange (included torque converter), install conditioner, and synthetic fluid replacement. I'm not cheap by any means, but $170/every yr. is definitely something that I want to make absolutely sure is 100% necessary.
I think not about the $170 a year ... but over 10 years it's only $1700.00, still less than a transmission and much less of a head ache after a break down.
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #27

Blackstone Lab will test your oil and tell you if it needs changing for about $25. No way I would spend $170 a year to change oil that might be perfectly fine.

The reason you should change the fluid when you put the new cooler on is that you may have overheated the old oil. Oil breaks down w high heat. Start fresh with new synthetic and have it tested after a year and see how it is doing.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
Blackstone Lab will test your oil and tell you if it needs changing for about $25. No way I would spend $170 a year to change oil that might be perfectly fine.

The reason you should change the fluid when you put the new cooler on is that you may have overheated the old oil. Oil breaks down w high heat. Start fresh with new synthetic and have it tested after a year and see how it is doing.
I may get blasted here.. but.. I'm getting the aftermarket cooler installed next week by my GM service center and do not think I'll be getting a full trans fluid exchange at that time. I only towed my new camper once a few weeks ago (home from the dealer) and my transmission temp never got above 170 degrees F and was usually in the 150's; not to mention I never get above 120 degrees F without towing. My vehicle barely has 40,000 miles on it and has runs on synthetic trans oil already.

I think I'll be fine if I get it fully changed out at the end of next winter in approx. a year. Wouldn't you think so?

And thanks for the blackstone lab idea, appreciate it!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
3) So if I have both the transmission cooler and engine oil cooler installed but stick with the 3.08 rear axle, would the math still work out; that I would maybe have 7,500 lbs towing capacity since my manual states increasing from a 3.08 axle to a 3.42 only gives me 500 lbs more trailering capacity? Or does it not "work like that" with trailering?

Thank you all for your time and sorry for the novel!!!
I would say it doesn't work like that. The COMBINATION of the ratio and coolers is what raises the capacity to 8000lbs. The addition of just one of these would still only give you maybe 500lbs capacity.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #30

Quote:
I may get blasted here.. but.. I'm getting the aftermarket cooler installed next week by my GM service center and do not think I'll be getting a full trans fluid exchange at that time. I only towed my new camper once a few weeks ago (home from the dealer) and my transmission temp never got above 170 degrees F and was usually in the 150's; not to mention I never get above 120 degrees F without towing. My vehicle barely has 40,000 miles on it and has runs on synthetic trans oil already.

I think I'll be fine if I get it fully changed out at the end of next winter in approx. a year. Wouldn't you think so?

And thanks for the blackstone lab idea, appreciate it!
Odds are your fluid is fine right now, and you're coming up on a regular change interval since I think you're on a 50,000 mile schedule with the syn. I'd get it changed at the normal mileage when you reach it.

The yearly thing is mainly to get people to think about it. Is it best? Yes, truly necessary? Not at all. The big concern is if it sits a lot and isn't run regularly. That allows the oil and detergents/additives to separate, moisture to condense and never get burned off, etc. That's where the yearly comes to play.

As for the future, once you get your change done at a regular interval if you tow a lot I'd keep an eye on it and change a little early, I'd subtract your towing mileage from the interval. For example, if the interval is 50,000 miles as I suspect and you tow it 10,000 miles over that interval then I'd get it changed at 40,000 miles, up to half the interval or 25,000 miles. Even at 40,000 miles that's still two or three years if you're an average mileage driver.

And I'd still look into the oil cooler, engine oil is very neglected and the lines and all won't cost that much.