Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Transmission coolers

Probably a very old subject to those who have been on the forum for awhile but I am new and don't know where to look yet. Has anyone had a transmission cooler installed by a dealer on a 2010 Tahoe/Yukon. What was the approximate cost? I have a lot of warranty left and would like to stick with a dealer if possible. Thanks , Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Site Team

if you have the factory tow package, it already comes with a tranny cooler.
some do add an auxiliary tranny cooler. you can get one on Ebay for around $75.

if you don't have the factory tow package, you'll need more than just a tranny cooler.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #3

Thanks bikendan, I have a factory tow package but not the heavy duty one. With the addition of a cooler, mine should be identical except for the rear end ratio which I probably won't change.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Site Team

i'm a little confused. i have an '07 Avalanche, the same GM900 platform as the Tahoe/Yukon. in fact, it's the same as the Suburban, without the back seats.

my '07 Avy's factory tow package came with a tranny cooler, pre-wiring for a controller, 3.73 rear end, 7-pin connector and type III/IV hitch receiver.

did something change that they now offer two different factory tow packages?
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #5

Apparently so. My Tahoe said "Towing Package" and came with a factory 2 " hitch , 7 pin connector and pre-wire for brake controller which I have since added. According to a man who works for a chevy dealership and ran my vin number, My car does not have a trans cooler and has a 3.08 rear end. I think there is a heavy Duty towing package which has the exact same equipment as mine plus a trans cooler and a 3.42 rear end ratio.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

Here's a VIN decoder if you want to double check:

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #7

Thank You DL but it apparently doesn't have 2010's in the database yet. I have not been able to find a site that has detailed vin info on a 2010 yet. I believe the info that I got from the other member is probably correct.

Thanks, Jack
Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

I had a Suburban a couple of years ago, added a heavy duty transmission cooler installed by my local mechanic, around $150-200 installed. Hope this helps as the other responses did not address your original question. I didn't check with the local Chevy dealer, I don't trust them.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #9

When we were buying our 2011 Acadia one dealer had quite a few without the tow package. While the slick saleman tried to tell us it would only cost a few hundred to add the tow package after; I asked him to talk to the service department. They said due to the Acadia's transmission putting one on after would be over $1000.

I hope yours is a lot less.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 AM   #10

There are many different types and sizes of transmission coolers. Don't get ripped off from a dealer. It all depends on what you are pulling for weight etc. Take a look at B&M transmission coolers. If you go to their site you will see them rated by weight and BTU. I always used the largest I could get in my motorhomes and tow vehicles. While the factory one s are OK these are much better. You can even get a temp guage for them . Not a bunch of money, maybe $80 worst case. Install takes maybe 2 hours. If you are at all handy you can do it yourself. If you lived near me I'd do it for you
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 AM   #11

Don't forget it is combined weight to size these, truck and trailer with contents.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #12

Check around on the WEB for pricing once you select a model
Old 07-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #13

Just priced one for my Avalnache, $258 installed. The coolers vary in price like everything else, have seen the from under $100 to over $300 for just the cooler.
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
i'm a little confused. i have an '07 Avalanche, the same GM900 platform as the Tahoe/Yukon. in fact, it's the same as the Suburban, without the back seats.

my '07 Avy's factory tow package came with a tranny cooler, pre-wiring for a controller, 3.73 rear end, 7-pin connector and type III/IV hitch receiver.

did something change that they now offer two different factory tow packages?
Have an Avalanche as well, this is my understanding from several other Avalanche owners.. The radiator in the tow package has an extra fin or two and Cherolet says it is equipped but that is not the same as an auxiliary cooler.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #15

The radiator core thickness is only to help cool the engine better and has nothing to do with a tranny cooler. Some radiators have coolers built in, but if the water is at 200 plus degrees than the tranny fluid is no cooler, hence the external coolers in front of the radiators.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourn3833
The radiator core thickness is only to help cool the engine better and has nothing to do with a tranny cooler. Some radiators have coolers built in, but if the water is at 200 plus degrees than the tranny fluid is no cooler, hence the external coolers in front of the radiators.
No argument from me about what you are saying. But apparently Chevrolet has made it sound as if the Avalanche was equipped with one. One owner I know of said the garage refused to put a tranny cooler on his saying it already was factory equipped.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #17

Could the factory cooler on my Tahoe be the little finned thing about 2" square and 15" tall running vertical in front of my ac radiator on driver side with 2 metal tubes running throug it?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #18

Could be, trace the tubing if it heads back to the transmission that's it.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourn3833 View Post
Could be, trace the tubing if it heads back to the transmission that's it.
1 line will probably come from the radiator, and the other running back to the transmission if that is indeed an auxiliary cooler.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourn3833 View Post
Some radiators have coolers built in, but if the water is at 200 plus degrees than the tranny fluid is no cooler, hence the external coolers in front of the radiators.
Almost all vehicles with automatic transmissions have a separate heat exchange for the transmission built into the radiator. Even though the inlet water temperature going into the radiator is 200° (or whatever temperature thermostat is installed), what goes back into the engine is significantly cooler......that is what the radiator does for a living. The hot water goes into the radiator at the top, and goes back into the engine from the bottom of the radiator. Some transmission coolers are located at the bottom of the radiator, taking advantage of the cooler water ready to go back to the engine. Some may run down vertically on the none inlet side of the radiator, but the fluid will still come out of the bottom....the coolest part.

This is the 1st step in cooling down the transmission fluid, and for many vehicles that is enough. But in towing situations where the transmission fluid can really heat up, an auxiliary transmission cooler is needed to further cool the fluid, since the primary cooler my not be able to keep up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote