Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
moondog2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 154
Transmission recovery add

About a week ago I saw an add that came with a scale on tranmission temps.It was about transmissions that gets hot. If anybody has a link that would be great. What I am looking to do is find a cooler that the transmission fluid lines can go to and get them out of the radiator. Should make the engine run cooler and the trans run cooler. It seems this add had something like that. Thank you
__________________

__________________
05 Silverado Z71 4X4
2013 Forest River X-LITE
Days camped in 2017,36
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cool Pool, AB
Posts: 783
Some good info here:

Max Chevy Trans Temperature
__________________

__________________
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 1,547
Last fall I purchased and installed a trans temp guage from
GlowShift | Trans Temp Gauges

I am really happy that I can watch the guage and see in real time what my temp is instead of having to worry if it is overly hot...

I mounted the gauge on the windshield pillar and it is out of the way and easy to see. I also added an oil pressure gauge to supplement my idiot light on the dash so I have both on the pillar.
__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
SYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Burton, MI.
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
About a week ago I saw an add that came with a scale on tranmission temps.It was about transmissions that gets hot. If anybody has a link that would be great. What I am looking to do is find a cooler that the transmission fluid lines can go to and get them out of the radiator. Should make the engine run cooler and the trans run cooler. It seems this add had something like that. Thank you
My2005 GMC 2500HD that I just traded in had a separate transmission cooler that was in front of the radiator. When towing my 5th wheel it used to run about 200 degrees give or take. My new Diesel with the Allison Tranny runs around 135, big difference from the 4 speed to a 6 speed tranny. If you do not have a transmission cooler, other the the lines connected to the radiator, you may think about adding one.
__________________
Scott & Vicki
2018 Silverado 3500HD Dually 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2018 Columbus 366RL 1492 Edition
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
moondog2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 154
Temp gauge looks real good, Maybe this winter as a hot summer just takes it out of me. Where did you put the sensor. Too bad I could not find one that was wireless.My Z71 came with a big trans cooler but from there it goes into the radiator cooler that warms it back up. My 05 1500 has the weak trans so I am trying to make it last. I saw an add in the forum in the last month that said some thing about trans recovery ? It sounded like they had a small cooler that the lines going to the radiator went to instead of the radiator cooler.This might make things run cooler. With no temp guage I don't have a clue if I'm running hot, I look at the graphs on the forum and feel I need to do some thing. Thanks Mike
__________________
05 Silverado Z71 4X4
2013 Forest River X-LITE
Days camped in 2017,36
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 1,547
moondog

I had a neighbor that runs a garage out of his backyard do the install... he said it took him two hours total, but he has a lift so I did not have to crawl under...
the manual link is here for sensor info
http://www.glowshift.com/instruction...ture-Gauge.pdf

install video link here
__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Schings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 303
There are lots of instruments that plug into the on board ECU port in your vehicles. They can display most every parameter of your drive train. (trans temps, oil temps, water temp, RPM, engine load, fuel consumption, etc. Similar to these : ScanGauge II - Scan Gauge OBD II Scanner - OBD2 Scan Gauge


They also have the advantage of reading and resetting and engine or trans and sometime brake codes. I have something similar in ALL my vehicles.
__________________
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
Temp gauge looks real good, Maybe this winter as a hot summer just takes it out of me. Where did you put the sensor. Too bad I could not find one that was wireless.My Z71 came with a big trans cooler but from there it goes into the radiator cooler that warms it back up. My 05 1500 has the weak trans so I am trying to make it last. I saw an add in the forum in the last month that said some thing about trans recovery ? It sounded like they had a small cooler that the lines going to the radiator went to instead of the radiator cooler.This might make things run cooler. With no temp guage I don't have a clue if I'm running hot, I look at the graphs on the forum and feel I need to do some thing. Thanks Mike
Strange. On my 2013 and my current 2015, both 6-speeds, the flow is:
From the trans (lower pipe) to the radiator, from the radiator to the external air cooler, then from the external air cooler (top pipe) back to the trans.

And this is the flow for a 4L60 GM trans....
__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
moondog2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Strange. On my 2013 and my current 2015, both 6-speeds, the flow is:
From the trans (lower pipe) to the radiator, from the radiator to the external air cooler, then from the external air cooler (top pipe) back to the trans.

And this is the flow for a 4L60 GM trans....
If this is right this is great.I have not taken the time to trace the lines, I only took a persons word on the flow. This saves me a lot of hassel. thanks Mike
__________________
05 Silverado Z71 4X4
2013 Forest River X-LITE
Days camped in 2017,36
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
moondog2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
There are lots of instruments that plug into the on board ECU port in your vehicles. They can display most every parameter of your drive train. (trans temps, oil temps, water temp, RPM, engine load, fuel consumption, etc. Similar to these : ScanGauge II - Scan Gauge OBD II Scanner - OBD2 Scan Gauge


They also have the advantage of reading and resetting and engine or trans and sometime brake codes. I have something similar in ALL my vehicles.
This looks like the easy fix, do you think my 05 silverado will have trans temp in the ECU port. My trailer control had a loom that plugged into a port, I hope it wasn't the ecu port. So this just velcros to the instr cluster. Mike
__________________

__________________
05 Silverado Z71 4X4
2013 Forest River X-LITE
Days camped in 2017,36
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cover

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.