Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #21

The charts are generic but still relevant IMO. More to consider other than fluid (gaskets, seals, etc.) The hottest fluid is the fluid that leaves the converter and goes straight to the cooler. There are numerous devices available that allow you to read temp off that line if you feel the need, but you will at times see intermittent astronomical temps when pulling hard with an unlocked converter (slip = heat). My Dodge monitors temp through the governor pressure transducer inside the pan. At 260, the trans will lockout OD and lock the converter until it cools off. I think folks get too wrapped around the axle monitoring trans temp, especially when they don't understand what they are reading. I look at mine occasionally with my Edge monitor, not to specifically annotate the temp, but to look for something that has changed .
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown View Post
My 2012 F150 has a stock xmission cooler and the thermostat for that cooler doesn't open until 190 degrees. Until it does the xmission oil temp should be close to engine coolant as there is a built in xmission cooler/heater element in the radiator.
190 is the temperature of the coolant in the engine block, by the time the coolant reaches the cool side of the radiator where the transmission cooler sits, the temp of the coolant is WAY cooler.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye305 View Post
Several months ago I read on this forum about transmission temperatures. Now I can’t find it to reread it. I’m trying to find out what transmission temperature is to hot. I have one steep grade mountain north west of Chattanooga I have to top every year to and from Florida. I watch my tranny temp climb. No alarm goes off but I alway stop at the top for an hour before descending. How hot is to hot?
Are you talking about the sticky at the top of this forum?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #24

My 2014 F350 SRW truck runs 190 and it ran 193-197 when we pulled our new 40ft 5er home the other day.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote