Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
KenNTennessee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 10
Skipper,
As long as the tranny stays below 200 F it's fine. If it occasionally goes over 200 it will not hurt it, but the fluid life will degraded, so may need changed more often (using the manufacturer's "severe service" schedule).
__________________

__________________
KenNTennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
BigDaddySC1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 17
I have an 01 F250 with a quit a few upgrades including tans temp, boost, egt gauges, and a DP Tuner with a 60hp tow command. According to Ford the normal running temp of these transmissions is 80 degrees above ambient. When we took our Sandpiper out for the first time I had to pull it through town with a lot of stop and go traffic and the tranny hit 195 (ambient was 92) and began cooling down on the open road. I have the stock 7.3 12 row aux cooler but I am thinking of upgrading it to the 6.0 26 or 32 row cooler, from post I've read this will reduce temps by about 25-30 degrees. Have any of you had this done.
__________________

__________________
BigDaddySC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #33
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySC1 View Post
I have an 01 F250 with a quit a few upgrades including tans temp, boost, egt gauges, and a DP Tuner with a 60hp tow command. According to Ford the normal running temp of these transmissions is 80 degrees above ambient. When we took our Sandpiper out for the first time I had to pull it through town with a lot of stop and go traffic and the tranny hit 195 (ambient was 92) and began cooling down on the open road. I have the stock 7.3 12 row aux cooler but I am thinking of upgrading it to the 6.0 26 or 32 row cooler, from post I've read this will reduce temps by about 25-30 degrees. Have any of you had this done.
Most of the 7.3 ford guys do that cooler upgrade. It definitely is an improvement. You and I have different transmissions but I will tell you my trans temp is usually around 160 degrees towing. Trans temp is my last concern.
__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
cstover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Where the USCG sends us.
Posts: 357
We did it to my buddies truck. Huge difference. Before he would have to pull over to let it cool down. Now.....no more.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lil's Hair Salon and Peanut-eria (Georgia)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Most of the 7.3 ford guys do that cooler upgrade. It definitely is an improvement. You and I have different transmissions but I will tell you my trans temp is usually around 160 degrees towing. Trans temp is my last concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstover View Post
We did it to my buddies truck. Huge difference. Before he would have to pull over to let it cool down. Now.....no more.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums


With a 26row cooler, I run about 50-60deg over ambient unloaded and 60-75deg over ambient with my camper and a GCW of just under 16,000lbs. With the 13row that was installed with my HD4R100 transmission(stock is a 9row in the diesels), unloaded was 60-70 over ambient and 80-100deg over ambient loaded.

That post that brought this up was from 2012, but still good info.
__________________
'01 F-250 PSD CC 4x4 SB
'08 Wildwood LE 26TBSS

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #36
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,920
I think the chart that started this thread may be dated; or at least it may apply to older vehicles. My 2012 F150 transmission runs at 195 degrees; whether towing or not. That's its normal temp. And it doesn't vary much more than a few degrees from that.
__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
This data is definitely out of date. The new trannys and synthetic fluids are much improved regarding heat tolerance. Its not uncommon to see my trans temp run about 200 when towing. Synthetic fluids can take upwards of 220 without degradation.
__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddySC1 View Post
I have an 01 F250 with a quit a few upgrades including tans temp, boost, egt gauges, and a DP Tuner with a 60hp tow command. According to Ford the normal running temp of these transmissions is 80 degrees above ambient. When we took our Sandpiper out for the first time I had to pull it through town with a lot of stop and go traffic and the tranny hit 195 (ambient was 92) and began cooling down on the open road. I have the stock 7.3 12 row aux cooler but I am thinking of upgrading it to the 6.0 26 or 32 row cooler, from post I've read this will reduce temps by about 25-30 degrees. Have any of you had this done.
I upgraded my '01 7.3l to a 6.0 size trans cooler bought through Rockauto. It works very well. My trans temps seem to stay about 30-40 degrees cooler than they used to with the original setup. I also upgraded to Valvoline full synthetic trans fluid.
__________________
2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lil's Hair Salon and Peanut-eria (Georgia)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
I upgraded my '01 7.3l to a 6.0 size trans cooler bought through Rockauto. It works very well. My trans temps seem to stay about 30-40 degrees cooler than they used to with the original setup. I also upgraded to Valvoline full synthetic trans fluid.
Rock Auto tried to ship 2 of those to me, but both showed up crunched with little packing material. I gave up on them and I ended up with a Ford 26row, but even them the first one they shipped showed up damaged.
__________________
'01 F-250 PSD CC 4x4 SB
'08 Wildwood LE 26TBSS

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I think the chart that started this thread may be dated; or at least it may apply to older vehicles. My 2012 F150 transmission runs at 195 degrees; whether towing or not. That's its normal temp. And it doesn't vary much more than a few degrees from that.
I can't believe this thread went 4 pages before someone finally said this. I absolutely agree with you. Additionally, One size doesn't fit all when it comes to operating temperature of a transmission. With synthetic oil, that chart is outdated and regardless of the oil, I question the source also. Nearly every transmission and rear axles comes with synthetic oil in trucks. That chart may be a rough guideline for transmissions of yesteryear.

Just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.