Old 06-18-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
Traveling with pets

We have a 2500 GMC Duramax diesel for towing our 5er. We travel with our furry friend. Does anyone leave their pets in their running truck with a/c on when making stops?

Jimmy, Frances and Darcy the goldendoodle
Everidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #2
I have done it with 2 vehicles. My results:

First one started leaking a bit of oil from the rear main seal when it got hot. I stopped using it as a dog cooler and went to heavier oil. That cured the leak.

Second one's A/C compressor failed about 3 weeks ago. It's a 10 year old CRV and they do have known compressor failures, but I suspect this may have pushed it.

After these experiences, I am no longer going to do it.

2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:42 AM   #3
We don't leave our dogs unsupervised in our trucks... they have been known to jump around in the cab. One of us will stay with them or both of us get out and one will take the dogs to a grassy area so that they can do their business.
2013 Flagstaff 27RLWS - Chole'
2012 Ford F-150
2015 Ford F-150
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #4
"On the road again"
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
When the weather is acceptable (not too hot or not too cold) we put ours in the fifth wheel and open a couple of windows. She normally is asleep under the edge of the bed when we return, totally content.

In weather that is too hot or to cold...we never leave her alone.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'12 Columbus 320RS - 2015 Ford F-350 King Ranch & 2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015: 458 ~ Nights Camping 2016: 95 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Site Team
Originally Posted by Everidge View Post
We have a 2500 GMC Duramax diesel for towing our 5er. We travel with our furry friend. Does anyone leave their pets in their running truck with a/c on when making stops?

All depends on how long you're referring to as a 'stop'. At rest areas, we either:

A) hit the remote start so the ac continues to run, all go in to do our business, then come back to get the dogs on the grass to do theirs.

B) one of us (usually me) gets the dogs on the grass, the other (DW) takes the kids in to do their business, when DW and the kids get back, we swap and she's the dogs while I head in to take care of mine.

At longer stops, like picking up groceries on the way to the campground, we put the dogs in the trailer with radio on, windows open and if hot, fan running.

If really hot I try to bypass stops like that until I can get to the campground and setup the site enough to ensure the dogs have AC, then back-track for things like groceries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
We don't leave ours in overly hot weather. As others have noted, while one is inside doing their thang, the other will walk the dogs then we switch out. If we are stopping to eat, we'll have one go in and order and bring the food out. We'll eat in the trailer itself or an outside eating area if one is available.

If the temps are cool, we'll leave them but we'll always park in an area where we can keep an eye on the vehicle.
Dwayne and Susan
Jiro and Phoebe-4 legged family members
Mike and Dana - Traveling buddies
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
If we stop for a meal or grocery store, we normally move the dog into the camper with windows open and the fan in the bathroom running. If it's cool enough outside or cloudy out, we will just leave her in the truck with the windows opened 3" or 4".
2016 Grey Wolf 26DBH following a 2014 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
Winter :'(
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)
We don't leave them unattended. If its a quick stop (fuel only for example), then one of us stay with them in the truck. For longer potty, leg stretching, etc then one will walk them while the other goes inside and then switch if needed.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
I used to leave Jake in the truck with the AC on I don't do that anymore. If it other then a quick pit stop I roll the windows down and leave him in there. He is far better then an alarm system. I do put up shade on the sunny side
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #10

Judymakem is offline   Reply With Quote