Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjw0831 View Post
Note that at least in Nevada if you get pulled over the officer may check the GVWR's for the truck and trailer and compare the sum to the trucks GCWR.

As the trucks GCWR is normally smaller than the trucks tow rating + the GVWR you may have a problem. They can require you to disconnect and call for another truck that has the proper GCWR.
Do you have any links to the regulations that apply to this?

This is literally the first that I've heard of a US state that actually has laws/regulations pertaining to GCWR/GVWR for non-commercial folks.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Below is a link to the Nevada DMV website page that has the information. I spoke to the DMV office this week and the different licenses only apply to Nevada residents but the police can cite anyone that is over the trucks GCWR

http://dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm

2016 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax DRW
2017 XLR Thunderbolt 340AMP

Old 06-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
... but the police can cite anyone that is over the trucks GCWR

Nevada Driver Licenses and ID Cards
(Honestly and not being snarky.)

I wonder what they're citing them with? I did a quick search of "GCWR" on the site that you linked to and the only thing that returned are the different license requirements.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #14

Joking about the weight police is usually tongue-in-cheek and limited to nit-picking.

A 40ft 5vr with SRW might be a genuine issue. I would mostly be concerned about pin weight and exceeding the rear GAWR and the max tire ratings. GCWR is not something I would worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #15

I have pulled a 40 foot 5th wheel all across this country and never a problem finding a campsite. We mostly stay in state parks and Corp parks because of the extra room between sites, and I'm a bit cheap. Just last month, stayed in a Federal park in N.C. with a paved site 117' long. You won't have a problem finding a site, and will appreciate the space in a larger rv. I will also stay out of the SRW vs DRW debate
Old 06-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Not sure what the actual citation would be. I know that insurance companies could have an issue though. Of course they wouldn't say anything until you file a claim.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #17

One other note on this issue:

You can not even take the driving test for a non-commercial class A license (GVWR over 26k and towing 10k+) if your test setup is not compliant. You can make use of a rented or borrowed trailer though. The tow vehicle can as well be borrowed but can not be rented (note for a CDL test you can use a rented truck though).

So if you have a new 44' long 5th wheel and a DRW truck you will need to take the test without your new trailer as even a DRW truck would have a GCWR that is less than the GVWR of the truck and trailer combined.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Joking about the weight police is usually tongue-in-cheek and limited to nit-picking. A 40ft 5vr with SRW might be a genuine issue.
Ah.. I'm glad you caught my intent

Look at your rig setup, look at the weights, use common sense. Don't worry about every single pound and the myriad of calculations of which most don't meet the common sense yardstick (unless you're in the weight police club

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
One other note on this issue:

You can not even take the driving test for a non-commercial class A license (GVWR over 26k and towing 10k+) if your test setup is not compliant. You can make use of a rented or borrowed trailer though. The tow vehicle can as well be borrowed but can not be rented (note for a CDL test you can use a rented truck though).

So if you have a new 44' long 5th wheel and a DRW truck you will need to take the test without your new trailer as even a DRW truck would have a GCWR that is less than the GVWR of the truck and trailer combined.

So what you are you saying is no one can tow a 44' 5th wheel without being over GCWR? That makes no sense. It all depends on the RV in question.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(Honestly and not being snarky.)

I wonder what they're citing them with? I did a quick search of "GCWR" on the site that you linked to and the only thing that returned are the different license requirements.
I found this topic interesting and ran across this informative site which talks about rules by states for licenses. Can't find much about penalties yet.

RV Driver's License Requirements

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, travel