Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Trekker WDH w/ active sway control questions

I was curious if someone could help answer some questions related to WDH.

I have a 2015 wildwood x-lite 262bhxl (30') with a trekker WDH with active sway control. At my PdI the guy provided some details on its uses and set up etc. being new to all this I paid close attention and felt I had a good grasp.

This last weekend we were involved in an MVA, causing damage to the truck and trailer. The roads were wet and slick, and I had tightened down the active sway control as usual, hand tight with about a half turn with the wrench.

I started looking into the hitch set up and watched a video that said the hitch had easy on/ off sway control (I'm assuming by loosening the cams). The video also mentioned to turn off sway control for bad weather.

So after rambling on, when towing in rain or on slick roadways am I supposed to turn off the active sway control?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thekipkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #2

Anyone have any thoughts on this

Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Site Team

Never heard of it, nor read any reviews of it on any of the 6 RV forums I am a member of.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Never heard of it, nor read any reviews of it on any of the 6 RV forums I am a member of.
I have never heard of it either but a quick google search shows it is an eaz-lift hitch. maybe that will help with some replies.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I read up on the Trekker a bit. It seems like they do recommend that the anti-sway system be deactivated on slick roads. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the anti-sway systems does not work beyond about a 10º TV/trailer angle ??

I haven't seen that warning on any other brand of WDH.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

I saw the same thing when reading up. I'd give the company a call, ask them your specific question and be clear about your setup, etc. They should be able to give you a good answer.

I haven't heard of this hitch either so you might not get many replies back.

I would certainly call the company though and not ask your dealer. Not saying your dealer can't steer you in the right direction, it's just the company probably deals with things like this all the time.

Good luck and let us know what you find, if it's a new hitch it may grow in popularity in here and down the road others might have the same type of question.

I wouldn't want to turn off the sway control personally, if I was driving in rainy weather, it's probably accompanied by wind which would mean you would want the assistance of a sway control. However, obviously, there must be a reason behind the manufacturer's statement.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #7

Thanks I'll have to give them a shout.

My dealer beer mentioned anything about this during PDI and out of my own ignorance thought they had provided all details related to the set up.

I personally like the hitch set up and it's operation, was dumbfounded when I read to turn off the sway...

Old 12-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

Made contact with customer support for camco, easy process actually getting a real person.

They advised the warning to turn off sway control pertains to ice or snow covered roads that are slick and not just wet roadways. He offered to send the PDF related to the product.

Tags
sway