Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

Question Tried to move camper with E-Brake wire pulled out, now controller doesnt work.

Hi.

I tried to move my camper yesterday with the emergency brake cable detached. I might have drug the camper an inch or 2 before getting out realizing the problem.

Once I reattached the cable the brakes unlocked and I was able to haul it home but the trucks integrated brake controller isn't working now. Fortunately I was at local campground winterizing. I didn't "need" the brakes to get home.

My truck's DIC has a message saying "Service Trailer Brakes" and if I let the truck/trailer coast a bit and press the brake buttons together, nothing happens. I tried adjusting the gain. No change.

Any thoughts? Is there something I need reset somewhere after the ebrake cable is pulled out?

Truck and trailer listed below.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #2

You may have damaged your brake controller. I know the prodigy manual says to never test the breakaway cable with the controller connected as this may cause damage to the controller.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Why was the cable pulled out? I hope that was an accident and not intentional. (We've had a case or two where the dealer tech or salesman told the owner to pull it out when parked. That is totally wrong.)

You probably burned out the wheel brake magnets.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Site Team

You may have damaged the proportional brake controller by backfeeding an entire 12 volts from the emergency breakaway switch/camper battery.

I know on all the breakaway switches I have installed on our tire trailers, that the documentation (and some have warning labels) state to not test the switch while hooked to the tow vehicle or it may damage the brake controller, just like Happy Vibe said.

Here is a copy from Tekonshas's site:

4. WARNING Disconnect trailer plug
before testing breakaway unit. Failure
to do so will result in severe damage
to electronic brake control.

I know this isn't good news, and perhaps there is some kind of built-in protection for your proportional controller to help out in these circumstances.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Why was the cable pulled out? I hope that was an accident and not intentional. (We've had a case or two where the dealer tech or salesman told the owner to pull it out when parked. That is totally wrong.)

You probably burned out the wheel brake magnets.
Pulled out by accident. I honestly didnt even know I had a brakeaway cable. Wasn't covered in PDI. This is my 1st trailer with brakes.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

All the info I've found so far ALSO says don't have the 7 pin trailer connector plugged in while testing the brakeaway switch or damage will be done the controller. So I assume I fried the controller. .

On to the Silverado message boards.......

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Bryan, would you let us know what you do find out...as it may help other members in the future who have similar circumstances?

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #8

Certainly

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

My emerg. brake -a-way control wire became tangled when I was backing in to my shed and pulled the control out, I was spinning my truck tires when backing up, didn't realize what was happening at the time, I knew something was wrong. I discovered the problem, as you said I may have caused some damage. On my next trip my brake controller was working ok, should I replace the brake control, damage my show up at the wrong time.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #10

I moved the camper around a little today and the truck controller and trailer brakes were working again and no errors on the DIC. Maybe it just needed to be disconnected for more then a minute or 2 with the keys off? Not sure but everything is working and I wont be moving the camper again until spring. Many lessons learned here for free I hope!

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S

Tags
camper, controller, led, brakes