Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
The best hitch in the world won't overcome improper installation. There's lots of information available on how to set these W/D integrated anti sway units in your driveway without the weight scaling the combo. Scaling the set-up to fine tune later if necessary.

As far a floorplan and a heavy tongue weight, if that's true, your headlights would be in the trees but it wouldn't necessarily cause trailer sway. Low tongue weight is more likelier to cause trailer sway.

For better feedback you need to provide camper year and model, details on your truck and your hitch type.

Dave
X2 Don't spend your money on a Hensley/Propride until you get what you have setup correctly. A properly setup hitch with a properly loaded camper will pull very well with barely to no sway.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
President ProPride, Inc.

The best hitch "set-up" in the world will not offer you the stability of moving the pivot point of the trailer.

I read over and over that people recommend to get to the cause of the sway and fix it BEFORE you purchase something else. Well, the CAUSE of the problem is the pivot point location of the trailer and the corresponding leverage it allows on the tow vehicle. Fix the pivot point and you'll fix the sway problem. Just ask any 5th wheel owner how much of a sway problem he has.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The OP has not revisited here giving us the information that is needed, so seems like the whole thread will be unresolved until then.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
The best hitch "set-up" in the world will not offer you the stability of moving the pivot point of the trailer.

I read over and over that people recommend to get to the cause of the sway and fix it BEFORE you purchase something else. Well, the CAUSE of the problem is the pivot point location of the trailer and the corresponding leverage it allows on the tow vehicle. Fix the pivot point and you'll fix the sway problem. Just ask any 5th wheel owner how much of a sway problem he has.
I'm not going to tell someone to go out and spend 4-5 X's more on something when setting up what they have will most likely lead to a positive towing experience. In this case, the OP's problem does not sound like what hitch he has, but it's improper setup.

I wouldn't expect you to tell anyone to fix what they have since you are a seller of a rival product. That would be a conflict of your interests.

I have a Reese DC and I can tell you I have no sway. There is slight push when passed by a semi, but I can live with that for the amount of cash I saved over the high end systems.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
I'm not going to tell someone to go out and spend 4-5 X's more on something when setting up what they have will most likely lead to a positive towing experience. In this case, the OP's problem does not sound like what hitch he has, but it's improper setup.

I wouldn't expect you to tell anyone to fix what they have since you are a seller of a rival product. That would be a conflict of your interests.

I have a Reese DC and I can tell you I have no sway. There is slight push when passed by a semi, but I can live with that for the amount of cash I saved over the high end systems.

I can assure you I know how to "set up" a conventional hitch for optimum performance. And, it doesn't come close to fixing the problem. The problem still exists if the cause of the problem is not addressed. All you need is a "slight push" to be coupled with a "slight dip in the road" to unload a cam and the cause will reveal itself once again.

Spending the money is a short sighted view of fixing the cause. A Reese Dual-Cam goes for about nothing when you are done with it. A higher end hitch will sell for about $1500 so the net useable cost will be less than the cost of a hitch that masks the cause of the problem.

-
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I wouldn't expect YOU to tell anyone to fix what they have since YOU are a seller of a rival product. That would be a conflict of YOUR interests.

X2!

While I have no skin in this game any longer (I have a 5er). It seems to me that Mr Woodruff would gain better company PR if he was to apply his years of towing knowledge in assisting those who have towing issues. Instead of just hawking his own product as the ONLY solution.

It's true that IMO the Hensley & PP hitch systems are the best solutions out there. However as Len points out the other systems can and do work well for 1/5 the cost. Alot of folks simply can't afford the more expensive hitches.

I will also say that I need to thank Mr Woodruff...This was because of tenor of his posts, which I found to be caustic and self serving. As a result I switched to buying a 5er over a TT in leau of using his product. We couldn't be happier with our decision.

So Mr Woodruff my point clearly is this...Use your knowledge to help others to potentially fix what they have. It might cost you a sale or two but in the long run you stand a better chance of attracting other customers who read the forums.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
I can assure you I know how to "set up" a conventional hitch for optimum performance. And, it doesn't come close to fixing the problem. The problem still exists if the cause of the problem is not addressed. All you need is a "slight push" to be coupled with a "slight dip in the road" to unload a cam and the cause will reveal itself once again.

Spending the money is a short sighted view of fixing the cause. A Reese Dual-Cam goes for about nothing when you are done with it. A higher end hitch will sell for about $1500 so the net useable cost will be less than the cost of a hitch that masks the cause of the problem.

-
There a thousands of satisifed campers towing with Reese, Equalizer, etc. who will never have a problem. Your what if is exactly that, a what if. You make it sound like the cheaper hitches should be banned because they're a safety issue. I have yet to hear of anyone having an accident due to their properly setup WD system. I'm sure people have had accidents, but other factors were involved.

Your cost comparison means nothing when most people will keep their hitches for the life of that hitch.

The point is you advocate someone buying your product while offering no help in fixing what they have. That's what the OP was asking for.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
X2!

While I have no skin in this game any longer (I have a 5er). It seems to me that Mr Woodruff would gain better company PR if he was to apply his years of towing knowledge in assisting those who have towing issues. Instead of just hawking his own product as the ONLY solution.

It's true that IMO the Hensley & PP hitch systems are the best solutions out there. However as Len points out the other systems can and do work well for 1/5 the cost. Alot of folks simply can't afford the more expensive hitches.

I will also say that I need to thank Mr Woodruff...This was because of tenor of his posts, which I found to be caustic and self serving. As a result I switched to buying a 5er over a TT in leau of using his product. We couldn't be happier with our decision.

So Mr Woodruff my point clearly is this...Use your knowledge to help others to potentially fix what they have. It might cost you a sale or two but in the long run you stand a better chance of attracting other customers who read the forums.

I'm happy my tenor and knowledge of pivot point location resulted in a switch to a 5er. You fixed the underlying cause of sway.

Quote:
There a thousands of satisifed campers towing with Reese, Equalizer, etc. who will never have a problem. Your what if is exactly that, a what if. You make it sound like the cheaper hitches should be banned because they're a safety issue. I have yet to hear of anyone having an accident due to their properly setup WD system. I'm sure people have had accidents, but other factors were involved.

Your cost comparison means nothing when most people will keep their hitches for the life of that hitch.

The point is you advocate someone buying your product while offering no help in fixing what they have. That's what the OP was asking for.

You'll just never understand. I have been professional witness in numerous cases that people have actually DIED in a sway accident.

The fact that my product fixes the underlying cause of sway blinds you to the fact that the underlying cause of sway is the location of the pivot point.

If I came here without being the manufacturer of such a product and posted the exact same fact you would understand that I AM FIXING WHAT THEY HAVE by telling them about the pivot point location. You cannot fix a leaky roof, and think you have fixed your house, if your foundation is weak.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I'm happy my tenor and knowledge of pivot point location resulted in a switch to a 5er. You fixed the underlying cause of sway.

You'll just never understand. I have been professional witness in numerous cases that people have actually DIED in a sway accident.

The fact that my product fixes the underlying cause of sway blinds you to the fact that the underlying cause of sway is the location of the pivot point.

If I came here without being the manufacturer of such a product and posted the exact same fact you would understand that I AM FIXING WHAT THEY HAVE by telling them about the pivot point location. You cannot fix a leaky roof, and think you have fixed your house, if your foundation is weak.
Sir,

Let me ask you this ... If the PP hitch (or by extension the Hensley Arrow) is the ONLY hitch a person should own and all others are an accident waiting to happen...Why does your company sell the Reese hitches and Cam base sway control?

If you are so adamant that these other hitches are dangerous, and you are so worried about everyones safety...why sell what you state here on FRF to be an unsafe hitch?

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
Sir,

Let me ask you this ... If the PP hitch (or by extension the Hensley Arrow) is the ONLY hitch a person should own and all others are an accident waiting to happen...Why does your company sell the Reese hitches and Cam base sway control?

If you are so adamant that these other hitches are dangerous, and you are so worried about everyones safety...why sell what you state here on FRF to be an unsafe hitch?

That's a fair question but your premise is not correct. I have never stated that the other hitches are dangerous and I am so worried about everyone's safety. Those are your words. You won't find that I have posted that. I only posted about fixing the cause of sway. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone will take the facts and use them. Just read this thread for evidence of that fact.

As for the Reese... we sold approximately 5 of them last year. However, if you read the title tag of that page, there are many people who search for the Reese who end up coming to my web site. That's the way the internet works. And I sold over 900 3P hitches. Many to customers who initially searched for a Reese Dual Cam on Google.