Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
That's a fair question but your premise is not correct. I have never stated that the other hitches are dangerous and I am so worried about everyone's safety. Those are your words. You won't find that I have posted that. I only posted about fixing the cause of sway. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone will take the facts and use them. Just read this thread for evidence of that fact.

As for the Reese... we sold approximately 5 of them last year. However, if you read the title tag of that page, there are many people who search for the Reese who end up coming to my web site. That's the way the internet works. And I sold over 900 3P hitches. Many to customers who initially searched for a Reese Dual Cam on Google.
I need to appologize...

In an honest attempt at offering constructive criticism I have fallen prey to exactly what I accused you of..being caustic.

While you may not have stated specifically that the other hitches were unsafe it was the perceived message. In these forum settings it can be a challenge to not have a message missinterpreted. Maybe assisting folks on the correct setup of their existing hitch and then also touting the advantages of your hitch system would be perceived in a better light.

I hope that you can find the constructive criticism in my posts and can use it to your benefit.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
President ProPride, Inc.

No problem - I completely understand.

Thank you for that.

It's hard to offer what I know without it sounding like I'm hawking product. I really am not but it ends up being that when my product does speak to the cause of the problem.

It's a catch-22.

-
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I have never stated that the other hitches are dangerous and I am so worried about everyone's safety.
Looking back through this thread, I will have to agree with Sean.

As a factory rep on the forum, Sean has to be careful with his posts so that he does directly attempt to "sell" his product on the forum. I don't see that happening here. He has stated how changing the pivot point helps with sway. In turn, if people seek out systems that do just that, then yes, that could be good for ProPride and Hensley.

IMHO, he started out giving the OP a different perspective on WDH and sway control, and then had to end up defending himself.

So, let's get on a different track here. The OP has never gotten back to us on his tow vehicle information or his trailer stats, and all of the speculation on what the problems are can't be handled until the OP gets back on here and responds to our questions.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

As a factory rep on the forum, Sean has to be careful with his posts so that he does directly attempt to "sell" his product on the forum. I don't see that happening here. He has stated how changing the pivot point helps with sway. In turn, if people seek out systems that do just that, then yes, that could be good for ProPride and Hensley.

IMHO, he started out giving the OP a different perspective on WDH and sway control, and then had to end up defending himself.

So, let's get on a different track here. The OP has never gotten back to us on his tow vehicle information or his trailer stats, and all of the speculation on what the problems are can't be handled until the OP gets back on here and responds to our questions.
Sean,are you saying that your hitch will correct a very (TAIL) heavy trailer that(Wiggle-Waggals) down the highway? Even (Without)correcting the uneven load situation. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

I disagree, his posts are all about sway, which implies an unsafe condition. He's a salesman and uses this unsafe condition to push his product. All the while not helping people solve the sway issue of on an improperly setup hitch and RV weight distribution.

Post #11, I posted in response to help the OP and and had to defend myself his post #12.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #26

I hope Sean ansewers my post#24! Youroo!!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #27

Just looked up the price of a Propride hitch. Wow! Not many could afford that.(and I only say wow cause I can't say holy #### on here.)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulslp123 View Post
I purchased a 2013 Forest River Salem in August. I tow with a Ford Expedition Limited with a 9000 lb. limit. I towed an 8500 lb, 32' Fleetwood Prowler with this vehicle for 6 years. When I hook up to the Salem and go over 45 mph, the trailer is swaying all over road. I have purchased second set of weight distribution bars, second sway bar and purchased truck tires for rear of SUV. Cannot get control of trailer. Was told by a non Forest River dealer that he thinks that it may be poor design due to super slide and kitchen in front. Both are in front of axle and put loads of weight up front. Can anyone help me? I have a travel trailer I cannot tow.
Severe sway is normally caused by AFT CG (light on the tongue) and not forward biased CG (heavy on the tongue).

You MUST weigh your camper loaded for camping and FIRST ensure your tongue weight (WITHOUT the WD bars installed) is in limits for your truck AND falls between 10 and 15 % of total camper weight (disconnected).

If all of that is in limits (which I doubt), look at installation and adjustment of the WD hitch.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD Hitch and GVWR.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	23084  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011_Truck_Payload_Workbook.pdf (185.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Weigh Your RV - Bridgestone.pdf (447.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf weigh your RV.pdf (957.3 KB, 20 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Here is an excellent thread on how to do it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-19291.html
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Wow, how did I miss the diatribe by Mr Woodruff?

He did everything but post the link to his company's web site "ProPride"
He is president of a company selling hitches and should be (and will be flagged) as a VENDOR and as such has a "dog in the fight" on this issue.

Sorry for the non-PC example but a better one did not come to mind.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sean,are you saying that your hitch will correct a very (TAIL) heavy trailer that(Wiggle-Waggals) down the highway? Even (Without)correcting the uneven load situation. Youroo!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I hope Sean ansewers my post#24! Youroo!!
I can, and have, towed a trailer with NEGATIVE tongue weight, without sway, by changing the pivot point of the trailer. Before someone goes off half-cocked and says that I am recommending this let me say I am not recommending this. I am answering a direct question. I am not selling anything. My name is Sean Woodruff and I approve this message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Wow, how did I miss the diatribe by Mr Woodruff?

He did everything but post the link to his company's web site "ProPride"
He is president of a company selling hitches and should be (and will be flagged) as a VENDOR and as such has a "dog in the fight" on this issue.

Sorry for the non-PC example but a better one did not come to mind.
I've never hid the fact that I own a hitch company. I use my real name as a username all over the internet.

I'm not sure what flagging feels like but I think I've probably already been flagged a few times in the 16 years I've been doing this.
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #32

Herk,dont kick him off untill he answers my post! He has never held back the fact that he is the Owner of ProRide. I get tired of people that hear about a trailer that sways like hell tell people to get a (Henpeck,or PooRide) and all is good! Youroo!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

First of all Mr. Woodruff has done nothing wrong that I can see.

He is still here because his posts are informative. I finally discovered how to flag his account as commercial (his username is now green and his position with ProPride is now part of his account). The last time I tried it, the member could not log on because I messed up. (I can be taught and know how it is done now).

The only concern I had was that his posts did not clearly indicate he was in the business of promoting a particular brand of hitch and was disparaging other makes (compared to his). Understandable, of course, (If Equilizer cares, it is up to them to make a case, not us) however, I wanted to make sure everyone was aware that he had an agenda and was not a casual RV user.

As always on an open forum, Caveat Lector.
"Let the Reader Beware"
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #34
Oklahoma Proud

I can't even imagine a someone towing a bumper pull tt that is over 25' let alone 32' with a half ton, and a coil spring suv is even worse. I've seen crazy setups like this pull in at campgrounds and we just chuckle and shake our heads.

I give kudos to Mr. Woodruff if he can make these setups safe.

We tow a 34' 5er (factory ship specked around 8500lb) with a 3/4 ton diesel . We are loaded around 75% of our max tow capacity and I really can't see pulling much more than the 11k loaded with our setup. And we sometimes get some pull or push from big trucks.

Probably a diff. Tv or smaller trailer in Ops future, and using 90%+ of tow cap. is pushing it imhop.

Ps. Like others have said the front is probably to light if trailer is dancing.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #35
Oklahoma Proud

If not the hitch weight, Check axle alignment, to much toe, or difference in axle spacing could make big problems
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I can't even imagine a someone towing a bumper pull tt that is over 25' let alone 32' with a half ton, and a coil spring suv is even worse. I've seen crazy setups like this pull in at campgrounds and we just chuckle and shake our heads.

I give kudos to Mr. Woodruff if he can make these setups safe.

We tow a 34' 5er (factory ship specked around 8500lb) with a 3/4 ton diesel . We are loaded around 75% of our max tow capacity and I really can't see pulling much more than the 11k loaded with our setup. And we sometimes get some pull or push from big trucks.

Probably a diff. Tv or smaller trailer in Ops future, and using 90%+ of tow cap. is pushing it imhop.

Ps. Like others have said the front is probably to light if trailer is dancing.
Generalized statements do nothing to further the usefulness of this thread. I tow a 31ft TT with a 1/2 ton. I know for a certainty that I am safely within every weight category (GVWR, GCVWR, RAWR). I did take the time to ensure this by weighing the setup. Now I know I can't carry more than 242 lbs of cargo (after subtracting the wife, boy, and dog and 50 lbs for incidentals) in my bed when towing.

I agree that a majority of people are NOT within their weights by watching at camp grounds. But generalizations are not helpful and degrade those that do take it seriously.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #37
DDC

I am not a sales man for any company. I have used a Hensley hitch since the mid-nineties I switch because I hated the white knuckles I got from trucks and wind, I have spoken to a lot of campers who have also been towing with a Hensley and each time I talk to people I always ask the same question 'did you start out with a Hensley?' and every one said no they switched because of the safety issue.

I do not agree that Sean is trying to push his product all the posts I have read that he gives advice in also mention the Hensley which would be his competitor, his advise is well based on proven facts, I agree that everyone will not buy the same products thats why we still have Chev and Dodge ect. instead of Cadies.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #38

High jacked post?... yep

OP scared to make any further comment? Most likely!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
High jacked post?... yep

Excellent point.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
High jacked post?... yep
A little, but the majority of the posts have been concerning sway control.

Quote:
I really don't see why the OP would be afraid to follow up with his original questions. Several of us have asked for his vehicle stats, along with his Salem model....a simple request. The OP made 2 posts, and apparently hasn't been back to visit since 1/15/12. Without the requested information, then everything is just speculation.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote