Old 05-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post

Yes sir its about 58", and yes my trailer rides fairly level
What's the height of your camper under the nose...I bet it more than 58 1/2". Does the Wildcat have 16" E tires and leaf springs?

My truck sits at 55 1/2" unloaded with 10 psi in the air bags. The camper rides level when hitched with about 6 1/2" of clearance over the bed rails. The TV is dropping about 3 1/2" measured at the tailgate.

I say raise the hitchhead as needed to get some reasonable clearance to get it home and take the time to assess it with the TV and camper in the driveway.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
What's the height of your camper under the nose...I bet it more than 58 1/2". Does the Wildcat have 16" E tires and leaf springs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
My truck sits at 55 1/2" unloaded with 10 psi in the air bags. The camper rides level when hitched with about 6 1/2" of clearance over the bed rails. The TV is dropping about 3 1/2" measured at the tailgate.

I say raise the hitchhead as needed to get some reasonable clearance to get it home and take the time to assess it with the TV and camper in the driveway.

Dave
Dave, my Wildcat does have leaf springs, and 16" tires. I have not measured the camper height hooked up to the truck, I was mainly concerned with getting about 6 inches between the trailer and bed rails...
Next time I hook up to the trailer I will check and see what the drop is in height from the ground to the top of the tailgate, and distance between the ground the bottom of the 5th wheel overhang..

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your input. I feel better prepared for whatever happens on the day we pick the rig up. I at least know I have some good options. Thanks again, this is a great site !
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
guy

Arrow 5th wheel height adjustment

I have the same promblem. I am looking at raising my trailer .I have 6 inches diffenrence between the front and back with the front being higher.I looked for some info on the net with no result. I also have 2008 gmc 2500hd with a 28 foot 5th wheel. Any idea with solution would be appreciated. I cannot lower my my hitch on the truck any lower.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #15

Fortunately, all my concerns were for nothing.
We picked up the rig, and had just at 6" of clearence, front to back tilt is just about 1 1/4" Think we are good to go,thanks again to everyone who answered. I had fewer sleepless nights because of your help!
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
I have the same promblem. I am looking at raising my trailer .I have 6 inches diffenrence between the front and back with the front being higher.I looked for some info on the net with no result. I also have 2008 gmc 2500hd with a 28 foot 5th wheel. Any idea with solution would be appreciated. I cannot lower my my hitch on the truck any lower.
Welcome to the Forum!

What type of suspension do you have on the camper...torsion axles or conventional axles with leaf springs?

By your measurement, you need to increase the height of your camper (or reduce the ride height of your tow vehicle) by 3 inches. You may be able to remount the camper's axles to the underside of the leaf springs (called flipping the axles) to gain about 2 to 3 inches. You can also add spacer blocks were the leaf springs mount to the frame. If the camper is a torsion axle set-up, you'd have to add a 3 inch spacer between the camper frame and the axle mount.

Personally, I never like the idea of raising the camper...more wind resistance, higher center of gravity, etc. I'd be looking at reducing the ride height of the tow vehicle.

Dave

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmall View Post

From what I have heard and read on the trailer web sites, having the nose of the trailer raised slightly above level makes for better towing

This goes against everything I have ever heard.

Level to nose down an inch or so is supposed to tow best but most people get obsessed with the looks of nose down and make a bunch of adjustments.

Also nose up can promote chucking in a 5th wheel trailer from what I hear.

Like I said, not saying right, wrong, or indifferent, it just is not what I have heard.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
guy

My trailer has torsion axle. The problem when towing is quite a bit of chucking. I just want to know if anybody has ever changed the shackels on the truck which will lower it by about 2 inches and where did you buy them, My truck is 2008 2500HD 4x4 short box
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

There should also be spacer blocks between the rear springs and the axle housing...you could replace the block with ones from a 2WD to drop the ride height. If you change the front coil springs with the ones for a 2WD, you'll have the same ride height front and rear as the 2WD 2500. Check with your dealership.

Are you trying to reduce the ride height of the truck to level the camper when hooked up?

Dave

Old 08-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #20
guy

Yes .like I said when hookep up the front of the 5th wheel is about 6 in higher than the rear.

Tags
5th wheel