Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #1

Truck and Trailer Tilt

Put my new Blue Ox 1500 on last week and notice a substantial difference in the force required to release the passenger side trunnion bar. I had previously noticed with my Equal-i-zer hitch that I always had to raise the jack more to get the passenger side bar on and off. Now I'm wondering if it's the trailer leaning a bit causing it.

I've put a level on it and the box of the trailer leans about a half bubble toward the driver side. It also seems that the truck is leaning about a half bubble toward the passenger. Looking in the mirror going down the road I can see the lines of the trailer are not level with the defroster lines in the truck back window.

What do I look for? It's hard to tell if a parking lot is truly level so I'm thinking about going to the CAT scales and checking it on there. I figure the scale building folks probably make sure those things are pretty level?

Yes, the tires are properly and evenly inflated on the trailer and the truck. The trailer isn't particularly loaded but passenger side does have the 2 slides and the only outside storage. All the appliances and the bed are on that side but I assume the FR takes all that into account when they build them and that they at least ride level out the factory door. (I know about assuming though)

So what's the dealer going to say or do about it if I take it in and tell them that it's not level? My guess is the first thing is to tell me to take out everything that didn't come from the factory and then check it. Is there an axle shim adjustment to level the box?

Is GMC going to give a hoot if the new truck is a bit off bubble?

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8329SS Platinum
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Crew Cab Duramax
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

I would bring it to a local spring shop and let them put an eye on it.

They should be able to level it out by rearching the springs.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
tjm

Should be able to take a tape measure from the ground to wheel well on both vehicle and trailer un- hooked. This should be an easy way to see which is leaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
Should be able to take a tape measure from the ground to wheel well on both vehicle and trailer un- hooked. This should be an easy way to see which is leaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X2

And if Op's truck is the gm hd that he had listed, you can adjust the front torsion bars to make level.
My gmc 3500 sits about 1/2" higher on drivers side with a 1/2 tank of fuel.
(Its really common for vehicle to sit higher on one side than the other)
Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Head Rambler

The last two RV's I've owned have listed about " to the slide side. So, no FR doesn't compensate for the difference in side to side height.

I just compensate by adding a set of 'LEGO' leveling caps to that side when parking on a level pad. I could take it to a frame shop and have longer hangers and perches installed (or even do it myself), but since I know the amount I need to add, I just keep a couple of caps handy.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

To the OP,your 2 Big slides are on the Drivers side! The "Stove/Refer/Kitchen sink/bathroom/and Queen Bed! Just Naked without anything your unit is going to LEAN! Then you run the Slides out and the LEAN will Increase! The Rubber Ride/Torsion Axles are NOT adjustable for weight difference side to side! You will also be a candidate for "Shimming/Raising" the Drivers side "Before setting up or Deploying Slides"! Youroo!!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

Yes, I misspoke. The big slides and most the heavy things are on the driver's side.

Obviously I know it'll lean more with the slides out however I try not to drive down the highway with the slides out.

I would have thought that these things are made to be level when they're closed up though. Kind of basic Design 101.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

I have the same truck but in 3500. One of the DIC display options is to show exactly how many inches left/right and front/back you are off center, in a picture on the display. A neat display option. We don't have our trailer yet, so I'm curious what it'll show when it's attached.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have the same truck but in 3500. One of the DIC display options is to show exactly how many inches left/right and front/back you are off center, in a picture on the display. A neat display option. We don't have our trailer yet, so I'm curious what it'll show when it's attached.
Yes. It's built in inclinometer shows (in degrees, not inches, I think) the truck level from side to side even with the trailer hooked up. Depending on how much weight I transfer with the hitch, it shows 0 to 1 degree negative with the trailer coupled.

Tags
trailer, truck