Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

Truck bed cover in the winter?

This is my first Northern Ohio winter with a pickup truck. I have the vinyl trifold tonneau cover on it. It is an "outside truck." Should I leave the cover on all winter outside? Or take it off and leave the bed uncovered? I worry about the weight of snow on the cover (if we actually get any snow this year. LOL!). Any thoughts from you experienced folks? Thanks!
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

Leave it on and brush the snow off when needed. Otherwise you end up with a pickup bed full of snow and that is much more of a pain the butt.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Leave it on and brush the snow off when needed. Otherwise you end up with a pickup bed full of snow and that is much more of a pain the butt.
X2 !!!
This is the first truck I've had that has a "Hard" cover on it. Hated all the snow and Ice that would build up in the back and then when driving, the wind would whip it against the rear window and you'd have to keep running the defroster until the cab was warm enough to keep it melted.
Now it was nice when I had a two wheel drive, I'd add snow to the back for more weight and traction.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

That sounds like what I thought. Leave it on. I'll watch for heavy snow and clear it off. I don't expect to do much driving with it in the winter. It is not one of our passenger vehicles. And we really only tow to camp. But I've also never had a truck that I had to dial into 4WD (rather than automatically goes into AWD when needed) ... so does putting it in 4WDHi help with the fish tailing I hear about? I plan to leave the extra wood from the camping season in the bed and also might throw in a couple bags of river rock I have from gardening. Should that do it?
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #5

It's tough to get it to fishtail when in 4WD. On occasion, I still find a snow covered parking lot, turn off 4WD, turn off the traction control and bust a few cookies in the lot for old times sake. Grew up in the 70's with rear wheel drive 71 dodge charger and cutting cookies in snow was always fun and something you always dealt with during the winter.
My Chevy 1500 silverado had an "Auto" setting for 4WD that would only turn it on when needed or you could use a Full time setting. My 2014 GMC doesn't have the Auto setting and only 4H or 4L.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
WFD

I have had a soft tonneau cover on my last 3 trucks...living in Canada, I am far too familiar with snow. Never has created a problem. Yes you do need to brush it off, otherwise it will blow off onto vehicles behind you once you get going on the road. I like having a truck box that is free of snow accumulation in it.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #7

Like I said earlier, the only time I used it to my advantage was when I had my 79 F-150 2WD. I'd shovel more snow into back for more weight. Funny how I never missed a day of work in a 2WD vehicle and every winter several people I work with...that own AWD or 4WD...never seem to make it in.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I have had a soft tonneau cover on my last 3 trucks...living in Canada, I am far too familiar with snow. Never has created a problem. Yes you do need to brush it off, otherwise it will blow off onto vehicles behind you once you get going on the road. I like having a truck box that is free of snow accumulation in it.
X2.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Multi-Slacker

Just remember that 4WD helps you go, doesn't help you stop.

YMWV

Old 10-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #10

Rain, snow, ice, in Wisconsin 100 degree temps in Florida, we have had vinyl bed covers on our trucks since 2008. The only time we have had to change covers is when we sold the truck. It stays on year around. Bed covers are a great investment.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
RetiredRVer

I also live in NE Ohio (Lake County), and I'm on my 4th pickup, all equipped with some form of roll-up cover. I've never had a problem with any of them in the winter. They are very durable, and have supported huge amounts of snow for all my trucks. No worries!
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Also in Canada, in Southern Ontario's snow belt. I have a Tonno Pro Hardfold with an aluminum skin under the vinyl- going into my third winter with not regrets. It will support a substantial snow load (nice if you can't get to it quickly), and has no cracking or faults. We do occasionally get some very low temps (-20 C and lower) and it handles that well.

Here's a link to the Tonno Pro site.

It was also the lowest price of all I looked at. And research has shown that you get better fuel economy with a cover on.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Like I said earlier, the only time I used it to my advantage was when I had my 79 F-150 2WD. I'd shovel more snow into back for more weight. Funny how I never missed a day of work in a 2WD vehicle and every winter several people I work with...that own AWD or 4WD...never seem to make it in.
I am now retired but I commuted nearly 40 years a distance of 37km (22 miles) each way to work in a rural area in Southern Ontario's snow belt, and never really felt a need for 4WD. If conditions got that bad, then the roads would probably be closed, which is a no go situation. In all those years, I went into the ditch once (due to black ice, not snow) and ran into a big snowbank once due to poor visibility, and I admit- excessive speed. The best vehicle I ever had for snow conditions was a 71 VW van. I wish I still had it.
I did spend quite a few nights stuck at work after evening shifts, getting home the next AM in time to change clothes and go back at it again, but that's life in this part of the world.

My biggest problem was fog during spring and fall- worse than snow any time.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #14

Truck cover

I have a Bak-flip truck bed cover on my 2010 F150. I've had it for seven years, it's been through several winters in central PA and NJ. It holds up to 350 lbs. I've included a link below for you to review.... Good luck with the snow!

www.bakflip.com
Chuck.Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #15

Quote:
It's funny that those who live close to work never get to work and those who live some distance from work never miss a day....whether they drive or take public transit!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
My 2014 GMC doesn't have the Auto setting and only 4H or 4L.
FWIW, I would only put it in 4H when there is snow on the road. Expect you might be causing problems running 4H on dry pavement.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #17

Have had PU,s with "Soft Covers since early 60's! From button snap to Alum frame type,use them for Snowmobile trips in NY,Mi,WI,MN,Ontario,and Quebec! Have never had a issue using the bed! After the truck sits "Outside" and the snow sometimes is 2' deep we remove all so it doesn't come off in "Huge Sheets" like from Tractor Trailer Rigs! I am a Firm believer that God meant for PU Trucks to have "Tonneau Covers"! Youroo!!
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #18

I use a Tonneau Pro tri-fold in winter. Where I am in Canada we're very familiar with snow and cold. Cover keeps the bed dry so it's useable for small things. I don't often have cause to remove it but it's an option if needed. As has been said you need to clear the cover of snow or you'll really annoy following vehicles. Might even get a ticket from the local constabulary around here.

My old half-ton and several SUV's had 2Wd, Auto, 4hi and 4lo but my 3/4 doesn't have the auto. I believe that is common with HD vehicles.

Also as has been said 4WD makes you go but doesn't help you stop. If folks paid a little more attention to some of the basic laws of physics (inertia and coefficients of friction come to mind) there would be a lot fewer collisions. That being said I've been driving for 50 years and still find that every year I have to re-familiarize myself with winter driving. I guess I'm a slow learner.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #19
Canadian Member

As other posters said, snow accumulation on soft tonneau covers is not a problem. They are designed to handle the load and the cold temps.

Please sweep ALL the snow off your vehicles before driving on the road. Nobody likes driving behind the snow squall coming of your vehicle because you couldn’t be bothered to clean it off. And you’ll be able to see out the back window better.

Edit: Get yourself a good, telescopic handled snow brush. It’ll be extremely helpful getting snow off the roof and tonneau cover and for scraping ice off the windshield. I bought one at Costco similar to this one:

2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #20
Wrench Turnin Fool

I have a hard toneau cover, no experience with the soft ones.
I love that it protects my fifth wheel when I'm not using it, and the bed is still usable in the snow, and it also keeps pretty dry in the rain.
As far as 4wd... It actually does help you stop. Try it sometime, pulling a trailer in less than perfect traction condition. The transfer case actually ties the brakes together somewhat... No it doesn't mean you can go 70 mph in a blizzard, but it can help.
Towing my boat down the gravel Hill from my house to the lake (pretty steep grade too) it definitely helps to put in 4wd.

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cover, truck, winter