Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
not only that they dont think about others, but they dont care about others!

Truly a sad world we live in for sure!

Thank God for things such as camping to relieve some of that pain!

Now back to our original broadcast> "truck opinion"
And sadly these often tend to be the people with the noisy construction generator as well. Not only a lack of respect for others but a lack of respect for nature.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignugget View Post
Go to other forums and see what most hot shot drivers use. Ask the people on this forum who had to return their camper to the factory what the guys who pick up their units were driving. Just saying!!!
It's funny you say that. We've had 3 campers delivered in the past 2.5 years from RVW to my house right at 1000 miles away. All 3 different drivers- all 3 had Ford's with 6.0 PSD's. I couldn't believe it. I spoke with the first driver for a while. He had over 600,000 miles on his. Something like 30+ injectors replaced and a new set of heads in that time.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
I saw a post on here about the 5.4 lte gasser.......I have been a ford lover my whole life but that whole deal with the plugs and exhaust manifold and cats is no good! I test drove one once in a 1/2 ton model for daily driving and it was gutless with only 40k miles on it. 6 speed manual and a joke.....I would by a chevy with the 5.3 or 6.0 gas long before a ford and I hate to admit that one lol
Well I OWNED an 05 F150 FX4 with a 5.4 (who knows the history on the one you test drove) and it was a nice truck with good power. I've never heard of a six speed manual in a 1/2 ton- maybe I need to research that a little.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
And sadly these often tend to be the people with the noisy construction generator as well. Not only a lack of respect for others but a lack of respect for nature.
I put people that leave their dog barking outside and people that play music loud enough to be heard outside the immediate vicinity of their camper in the same group. I think they all should be ticketed if they pull this crap at a public campground.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorgf View Post
I get really tired of the comments of its a great engine in a bad truck. I don't understand where you people get your info. I have 125000 on my truck and the only thing that i had to replace because it was bad where my front axle joints but I also put a lot of strain on them left done at 70 k right at 120k. I did replace the ball joints while doing each side but not due to them being bad. Just because i had everything torn apart and the ball joints didn't cost much. My dad has a 06 and 1997 and has only done his once in 200k miles. I do safety inspections in the state of VA and have seen just as many bad ball joints on fords if not more and older chevys have had many a bad ball joint and now that they have that problem fixed they constantly fail for front wheel bearings. The transmission in the truck is fine as well as long as you don't add extra horsepower, Never had a problem with mine. Check out the million mile club these people don't take their motor out and put it in another truck they are the original trucks as well as engines. All 3 trucks can be good trucks if properly maintained and bad trucks if not. As long as the 05 has been maintained and not chipped it will be a very good truck for you.

I have a 2006 cummins with 165,000 on it. Original injectors, turbo and trans. Only thing I have replaced by necessity was a water pump a couple thousand miles ago as well as shocks... I have a bully dog programmer on it, mostly for the added gauges but do use it in tow mode adding around 40HP... I woudl trust my truck to take me across the country without any hesitation and if and when the transmission falls out I will replace it without any hesitation. The truck is worth fixing and continuing to use it!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #66

Quote:
I get really tired of the comments of its a great engine in a bad truck. I don't understand where you people get your info.
+1 I haven't had my RAM long enough to argue that side, but I had my Ford 6.0 PSD long enough for it to steer me away from Ford when it came time to buy a new one. Every time I got in it in the last year I owned it, something else was shaking, rattling or otherwise making a noise it shouldn't be making, not to mention the doors rusting from the inside out.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
I love the sound of my truck,
I never listen to the radio when I drive my truck, the sound of the 2 turbos singing (when it was twinned) is music to my ears, and the rattle is the noise telling you it is still running, drive any P pumped 5.9 and listen "it is a great song"

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #68

Quote:
I get really tired of the comments of its a great engine in a bad truck. I don't understand where you people get your info. I have 125000 on my truck and the only thing that i had to replace because it was bad where my front axle joints but I also put a lot of strain on them left done at 70 k right at 120k. I did replace the ball joints while doing each side but not due to them being bad. Just because i had everything torn apart and the ball joints didn't cost much. My dad has a 06 and 1997 and has only done his once in 200k miles. I do safety inspections in the state of VA and have seen just as many bad ball joints on fords if not more and older chevys have had many a bad ball joint and now that they have that problem fixed they constantly fail for front wheel bearings. The transmission in the truck is fine as well as long as you don't add extra horsepower, Never had a problem with mine. Check out the million mile club these people don't take their motor out and put it in another truck they are the original trucks as well as engines. All 3 trucks can be good trucks if properly maintained and bad trucks if not. As long as the 05 has been maintained and not chipped it will be a very good truck for you.
no one's saying that all dodges fall apart constantly and your right all 3 American brand trucks (and I use that term loosely since none of them use there own motors well ford does now supposedly ) have issues and it's knowing the issues that keeps you running. the fords do have wheel bearings that wear pretty quick and replacing them with the cheap ones that all the auto parts stores sell will wear even quicker. they also sell a kit to convert back to the earlier dual bearing wheel bearing up to 06 models i believe. as far as where do I get my info......from 3 close personal friends that are diesel mechanics by trade and a couple local garage's that do see more dodge's in the shop than the other 2 brands and this area which is not predominately dodge but rather ford and chevy. if it were, then that would make perfect sense. if you work them hard or beat them all the time they will all fail and/or wear faster no doubt I have several friends that are die hard cummins fanatic's and that's why I said I think the cummins is the most efficient inline 6 cyl with best mpg's in the pickups but had ford offered internationals dt466 I may not think that! I think that might have been the era that ford owned cummins. and the reason you hear or see some people pulling the engines out of the fords and chevy's to install cummins is because they like everything around the motor and not just the motor....you know interior, dash's, seating, ride etc etc. that is a lot of money and time to go to and in the case of all those dissatisfied with the navistar 6.0 diesel in the fords I don't blame them!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I never listen to the radio when I drive my truck, the sound of the 2 turbos singing (when it was twinned) is music to my ears, and the rattle is the noise telling you it is still running, drive any P pumped 5.9 and listen "it is a great song"
twins or compound? why did you take them off? either way that was a pulling machine with them on!!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Well I OWNED an 05 F150 FX4 with a 5.4 (who knows the history on the one you test drove) and it was a nice truck with good power. I've never heard of a six speed manual in a 1/2 ton- maybe I need to research that a little.
your right I don't know the history just that it had low miles and it was a crew cab with a topper painted to match but it was a 6 speed manual and at the dealership in blair Nebraska. there were 3 of us in the truck but other wise empty and driving up a fairly steep hill I had to down shift into 4th out of 6th to make that hill. at the time I had a 92 f350 5 speed 4x4 diesel and did not have to do that when I left lol. I test drove the truck because it was a manual and no I don't know the rear end gears and never looked back after the drive. I believe it was an 03 model but not sure anymore since that was a few years back now. I have only seen a small handful come through our shop with manuals but are out there just rare and hard to find like my current 99 psd 4x4 with 6 speed. in 2wd there a dime a dozen to find but not in 4x4 especially in a dually and I just turned 90k on the truck, even harder to find lol.

Tags
truck