Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #71
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
I know several guys like you and they can't understand why I don't turn mine up and let her bellow lol that smoke is dollar bills flowing out that pipe.

to the op I have a tuner on mine not a chip or programmer a tuner. I can switch tunes on the fly with a digital control. I have intake and exhaust and I changed the factory turbo intake wheel to quiet the whine and bring boost in lower and faster on the hills w/o producing higher egt's. high egt's are the killer of the diesel's and is why I have gauges. don't think for one second that a factory truck can't hit high egt's, I hear soooo many say it defuels to save itself. I told a buddy with an 06 duramax to add the gauges and tell me that, he was shocked at what he found. so all those mods are good if they were done for the right purpose and to find one with all that is money ahead but if all the owner did was beat it w/o concern of what it was doing to the engine then you don't want it. a good friend of mine bought a 2011 dodge 3500 dually w/o mods and it was clean. on his way to the sand dunes in Idaho with his toy haulers it was just running way high on egt's. he took it in while he was there to a dodge diesel shop just to find out it had been run damn hard and hot. the engine was cooked but with out pulling heavy he couldn't tell. he had the engine re-built while he camped and he couldn't believe the power diff and lower egt's. he also had some additional mods done at that time like ex intake etc etc. best thing to do no matter what is have it checked out by a good diesel mechanic that loves and knows that brand! if the owner wants to sell it they won't have a problem with that!

AND the difference between a tuner, a chip and a programmer are?? sound like semantics to me, especially programmer and tuner. they all do the same things.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #72

Kinda...a chip and a programmer are pretty much the same...both are plugged into the ecu and give you a single modified program to run...and no ability to turn it off or modify it while driving....so if you got a "hot" tune you are always running with a hot tune....

I use a programmer for my o3 cobra to modify the a/f and such after mods...

The tuner is a mounted module that allows for on the fly parameter changes...anywhere from stock to high hp....and also usually provides real time feedback on engine parameters...so you can run a low power tune and use a tow tune when u hook up trailer. ..

Sure in the end they all modify ecu programming , but a chip limits you to ONE power level and offers no ability to monitor vital system parameters for saftey...

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #73

they do similar things but not in the same way. a programmer flash's the pcm via the data link connector and can scramble it in some cases. a chip is just a chip, plug it in and it does what it does , hopefully. there are diff forms of tuners as well. my tuner has a digital display, I can change tune on the fly and it holds up to 16 tunes, I use 3. if I unplug it from the pcm, it retains the stock tune. programmers require re flashing the pcm to change programs or tunes. dp tuenr is for ford only but efi live seems to work well for many and many liked the edge. the best tune is always a live tune on the dyno for your purpose. where the end result may look the same they do it in diff ways and to myself anyways that is the important part.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Kinda...a chip and a programmer are pretty much the same...both are plugged into the ecu and give you a single modified program to run...and no ability to turn it off or modify it while driving....so if you got a "hot" tune you are always running with a hot tune....

I use a programmer for my o3 cobra to modify the a/f and such after mods...

The tuner is a mounted module that allows for on the fly parameter changes...anywhere from stock to high hp....and also usually provides real time feedback on engine parameters...so you can run a low power tune and use a tow tune when u hook up trailer. ..

Sure in the end they all modify ecu programming , but a chip limits you to ONE power level and offers no ability to monitor vital system parameters for saftey...

+1
well.....you said it better than I!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #75
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:

Funny!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
twins or compound? why did you take them off? either way that was a pulling machine with them on!!
twinned with a s475 over stock VGT, I wanted a change and have 3 more turbos one is a 475 with the double bat 87/1, GT4094V AVNT and a HTT366 66/71/16 billet with a race cover , want to see how a big single works. and might just put the 87 over a VGT

Quote:
single modified program to run...and no ability to turn it off or modify it while driving....so if you got a "hot" tune you are always running with a hot tune....
You dont know about EFI Live do you, and the DSP2 or 5. or CSP switch for the dodge guys. I have my ECM flashed with a factory modified tune (EGR OFF) and 4 more tunes from 25hp heavy tow to 300hp race. DSP/CSP users can switch between any position at any time

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #77

But does not efi live require at some point pc based programming?... efi live is more of a hybrid tuner/chip imho.... my old "flip chip" accomplished the same thing too?...and dont the data logging have to be downloaded using efi live?...I dont have much experience (read any) with that particular system, but I have watched it being dyno tuned

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #78

Attachment 48086
Quote:
But does not efi live require at some point pc based programming?... efi live is more of a hybrid tuner/chip imho.... my old "flip chip" accomplished the same thing too?...and dont the data logging have to be downloaded using efi live?...I dont have much experience (read any) with that particular system, but I have watched it being dyno tuned

my old 99 7.3 had a chip, physical placement, EFI is a PC based programming, nothing like a chip it is downloaded into the ECM. data logging is a tool available to look at how the engine preforms with said tuning. I can run my heavy tow tune for say 10 miles and datalog, then without stopping I can switch to the 150hp tune and datalog that 10 mile run. my tunes are made just for my truck and accompanying mods , not for the masses and sold off the shelf for anyone with a (insert year and RPO code). I can email my EFI data log file to a tuner and he can help me if their is a issue I can`t resolve or a tweaking in the tune file that would help me. All of this with a V2 or autocal hand held unit and a P.C. the computer is required just like a tech2 is used by GM mechs to look at issues. the computer is only necessary if you want to look at your datalog.. here is a snapshot of a tune I was running
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file efi.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	48087  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
twinned with a s475 over stock VGT, I wanted a change and have 3 more turbos one is a 475 with the double bat 87/1, GT4094V AVNT and a HTT366 66/71/16 billet with a race cover , want to see how a big single works. and might just put the 87 over a VGT

You dont know about EFI Live do you, and the DSP2 or 5. or CSP switch for the dodge guys. I have my ECM flashed with a factory modified tune (EGR OFF) and 4 more tunes from 25hp heavy tow to 300hp race. DSP/CSP users can switch between any position at any time

Dont go with the big single! I did this with my 01 ctd before twins and it was a huge mistake. laggy as heck and HOT when towing. It always seemed like when I was running a constant boost someone would pull out or slow down and I would be back fighting to get back to speed without too much soot.

14' Coachmen 320 BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
IColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post

so you like to have fun!! lol options are always the best way and those are some good options!!

no i have never used efi live but know two people that are.....1 duramax and 1 dodge, they both speak highly of it. it sounds like it works well for them and sounds like they tried to take the best of all and put it into 1. the edge tried this with the attitude with juice and the early model worked well with chevy , don't know about dodge but not good at all with ford. fords don't like or didn't i should say, they don't like being re flashed or flashed very much and then you get the pcm scrambled! now i don't know about the 6.0 nor would i do that to one of those engines....or 6.4 or 6.7 but on the 7.3's they were no good. i don't like leaving mine in a tow mode if i'm not towing and i pre-fer economy mode when i'm empty on the hwy so i need one that changes. but efi live sounds promising!

Tags
truck