Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
H2oski

Truck Stop Dangers

We all talk about being very careful about backing up, we must also remind our ground guides to be aware of their surroundings.

This just happened at our local Pilot Flying J truck stop.

Woman struck by truck at Flying J

An 82-year-old woman from Maine suffered multiple injuries Wednesday morning after being run over twice by a truck at the Flying J truck stop.

The incident occurred at 9:45 a.m. when the woman, who was returning home after vacationing in Florida, was standing behind a box-style truck to block traffic for her husband who was driving an RV. The truck driver didn't see the woman, backed over her, and then drove over her again after witnesses started yelling at him to try to gain his attention.

The victim had numerous injuries, but doctors expect her to live.

Dothan police have ruled the incident an accident and no charges will be filed.

Woman struck by truck at Flying J - Dothan Eagle: News
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

If one is doing this a reflective vest would be a great idea also make sure everyone knows you are there .................

Having said that I try to park away from the big rigs & park hopefully where I can pull out forward (I know it does not always work.........)

You would be surprised the number of people that are backed over...... often buy the vehicle that they are helping back up...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

She could have been his blind spot. I know that sometines I can't see my wife in my mirrors so I stop and tell her to move over. Sorry to hear about that being her age, it's takes alot longer to recover, HOPE she is alright.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Smile

The person directing the backing up driver should ALWAYS be able to see the drivers face in his mirror, if you can't see each other then the driver can't see you. Not sure how to make this understandable.. Person directing driver must move with the vehicle so he can see the driver in his outside mirror. Let's see try this....If I can't see you, you can't see me..

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Folks, as a Class A driver and CDL driver trainer, I can tell you that a fair amount of the blame here should go on the driver of the truck. Before backing, he should have done a walk-around of HIS rig, or at the very least, given his horn a yank. Yes, it is kind of a 'double-edge sword', meaning, she should have been more aware of her surroundings, as should he have. That said, let it be a reminder for all of us to more alert when we are surrounded by these large trucks.
-Absolutely, class 2 vests would be a great, inexpensive item to include in our checklists.
-when I do evaluations for new hires, it IS part of my regiment to include, 'safe backing' techniques. One such 'test', - I will be behind the vehicle off to the drivers side, in view of each other via mirror. I will wait until he/she looks in passenger side mirror, then jump about 15 feet behind (out of his/her view) so as to 'disappear' from sight. He/she will get gigged on this if they don't stop immediately. Better to be a controlled event than a 'real' one.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
She could have been his blind spot. I know that sometines I can't see my wife in my mirrors so I stop and tell her to move over. Sorry to hear about that being her age, it's takes alot longer to recover, HOPE she is alright.
My wife does the same thing!, stands in the blind spot and expects me to see her and her kar-azy hands signals that looks like she is trying to land a helicopter. People should pay to watch my wife help me back into camping spots. It is a spectacle to behold.

The article said she was trying to direct her husband in an RV, not the guy backing the box truck. She probably never even noticed the box truck moving, as she was watching her husband. So sad. Hope she fully recovers.