Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Its done on all of them. Its quicker to pull a cab than trying to wrestle body parts and car parts. The sooner you learn this as a tech, the quicker you will you will make money. Sometimes an extra couple minutes taking parts off will save you dozens compared to fighting in tight spots.
And I've done frame swaps on all of them. The 6.7 ford being my least favorite since i had to pull the turbo and intakes just to mount a lift plate on the motor in the turbo valley.

Good pics!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Its done on all of them. Its quicker to pull a cab than trying to wrestle body parts and car parts. The sooner you learn this as a tech, the quicker you will you will make money. Sometimes an extra couple minutes taking parts off will save you dozens compared to fighting in tight spots.
And I've done frame swaps on all of them. The 6.7 ford being my least favorite since i had to pull the turbo and intakes just to mount a lift plate on the motor in the turbo valley.
Looks like you spent more than a extra couple of minutes on this one..
Looks more like a chop shop
What was wrong with that truck that you took it down to the frame and took the wheels off. That guy must have put the wrong fluid in every orfice....

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #23
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I guess once you start fixing other people's stuff, you get a bit picky on what you own.

Ford had all kinds of issues
Gm durtymax has head problems and the labour times for those engines are really high.

The CUMMINS is a simple inline 6
Easy to work on, and fairly problem free. ( it's just all the dodge stuff that breaks)
True. I know all the right guys to get anything gm done.
I like cummins ok. I had one in my semi and would get another cummins over others in big trucks. I just cant stand dodge or toyota. They are the biggest piles of junk on everything except the motors ( well all toyotas knock if you don't start them once a day, i think its valve train noise, cant stand it tbough).

Dont get me wrong, none of them are worth what they cost ( and i just bought a 3500 Denali duramax).
My rating for quality of body and everything else would put gm and ford at the top, and dodge and Toyota at the bottom, mainly because of corrosion and plastic cracking. My least favorite to work on is nissan, and pretty much the whole vw, audi, porche group. (They are all the same parent company along with a couple other brands)

Alright.....done high jackin' i think
Old 11-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #24

So the Cummins is available in a Nissan Titan now, saw that on the Grey Cup. All wee need is 3/4 ton Nissan and we don't need the Ram part of the Cummins.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #25

Hey Millertime, thanks for your insight. I'm sure some will disagree with you but I can see your under the hood for more than your DEF. Hope I never have to see my truck down to the bones..

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 11-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #26
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Looks like you spent more than a extra couple of minutes on this one..
Looks more like a chop shop
What was wrong with that truck that you took it down to the frame and took the wheels off. That guy must have put the wrong fluid in every orfice....
It was under warranty at our collision center. I did it last fall when i worked for a large auto group that had ford (and just about every high end car also).
It had a popping noise on the front when you turned the wheels. Service had replaced everything they could and then it came to me. I replaced frame rivets with bolts and looked at everything. It was determined that the rivets were installed incorrect and it left gaps in between frame cross members and the frame with the rivets sitting crooked. This was a 2014 f250 2wd. Needless to say, a new frame was installed and it solved the problem. Ford ended up buying the truck and giving the guy a new 4wd by the time we got done with it. I felt really bad for that guy. His truck spent months in a shop.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:33 PM   #27
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Hey Millertime, thanks for your insight. I'm sure some will disagree with you but I can see your under the hood for more than your DEF. Hope I never have to see my truck down to the bones..
Yep. I never like someone to see their car or truck tore down like that or cut apart like we have to do on collisions. Their kinda scar'd, and then they think anything that ever goes wrong is your fault.

That job took about 2.5 to 3 days to do the swap from start to finish.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
So I though I'd be smart.. On our way down the DEF needed a top off. So I usually hit the RV lanes at the Flying J's for Diesel... SO I figured I would use the DEF pump in the truck lanes and top off. For the Chevy the fill in the engine bay by the passenger firewall.

So of course, the DW needs to walk in and prepay since I cannot just swipe a CC and activate. She has them turn on the DEF pump and Diesel.. I go and pull out the pump and it comes out about 2.5 feet and stops dead of course flinging the last bit of DEF all over the side of the truck from the last fill....

End up spending 15 minutes just getting fuel because the lady forgot to activate the pump which needed another wait in line of all the trucker's ordering breakfast.. No I know why I just stick to the RV lanes... LOL

SO, are all the pumps this short? Or did I just get the mess with the four wheeler in the truck lanes one? If they are all that short now I see why everyone has such issues..

I usually keep a 2.5 can with me for DEF but left it hoe this time since I should have been fine.. This assumed that Chevy filled the tank like they said they did!

I've had a Chevrolet Duramax for 3 years and always get DEF in the truck lane. Much cheaper than the stores. Never once have I had a problem with length of the hose. I'm guessing that was just an odd ball situation. As far as spilling it on the side of truck. That can happened with gas or diesel hose too. What I have had happen is when it tops off the pump doesn't shut off quick enough and there will be some back splash just like what a gas or diesel pump does sometimes

Your last paragraph you mentioned "Chevy filled the tank like they said they did!" That is one thing I have found in my travels. I bought my current truck Dec 2014 and it came with the free services for first 24000 mi. Some of these dealers are not filling the DEF tank as required by GM. One in particular was Michaels Chevrolet in Fresno, CA. The service manager told me flat out they would only add 1 gallon. It took a call to GM right then to get them to fill it.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:53 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I found out the cost of DEF is coming down and buying it at Walmart is only $7.50 for 2.5 gallons. If you top it off before your trip you should be able go 2-3 thousand miles before refilling the DEF in your GM. The cost will be about the same and less of a hassle if you fill it away from the diesel pumps. Why stress out?
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
Old 11-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #30

If you're accidentally putting DEF in your diesel tank, it's time to trade in for a gasser. You're not observant enough to own a diesel...and that the nicest way I could think of to put it at the moment.

But don't worry...SCR is coming soon to a gasser near you. We'll all be getting plenty of practice at using the DEF pump, regardless of our fuel of choice.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Closed Thread

Tags
pump, truck