Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Lightbulb Truck Thoughts

I have purchased a 2010 Wildwood 26tbss. We pick it up Friday. I tow with a 1993 Chevy Silverado 1500 factory built for towing. Looking for personal opinions - is the 'ole chevy (which is very well maintained) going to do ok with the spunky new camper, that is a bit heavier than our old Coleman Caravan?

Thanks for your opinions!
derekrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Team

With a GVWR of 7805# and a TW of over 800# you're gonna be close to the limit of that TV. We'd know more if you could post more info about the truck. I.E. engine size, gearing, etc. Whatever you do get a good weight distributing hitch with built-in sway control and make sure it's set up correctly.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #3

If she's paid for....what have ya got to lose??? I say try it out, and see how she does. If you aren't happy, then you can add parts and rear end gears, and if you're STILL not happy, there's always a new truck possibility! GOOD LUCK!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #4

Give details on the truck. If it is an auto, should be a 4l60 and it not last long. I hope it is at least an extended cab or long bed and has at least 3.73 gears also or you will not like pulling with it.
I would like to hear how this truck is" factory built for towing"
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #5

I have few details that I know for sure. It is an extended cab - and 3.73 gears, according to my grandfather, the truck's original owner. It was built with a larger than standard radiator, and aux. trans cooling system.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #6

You should be okay, depending on the engine. A 305 for instance wouldn't cut it, but a 350 would do the job. I pull with a Ram 1500 hemi; which is a 5.7 engine (347 ci),and a 3:46 rear. With 17 inch tires. It gets it done... BUT I would NOT pull this rig in the mountains! Not even hills! I live in Florida, and I pull 250 miles around here- expressway, 60-65 mph. It does OKAY, but the suspension is weak, and the power is marginal.My camper is 7575 lbs. AS DELIVERED. I put a K&N intake and Flowmaster true dual exhaust on it, not really much difference, except noisier! BOTTOM LINE: Try it- Ya got the truck now...If youre not happy, trade it for something that will handle the job. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #7

Sounds like I'll be fine with my 5.7 engine - especially since we go under 100 miles to camp and no mountains.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

It will pull it fairly decent. Just keep the cash handy for a new trans because it probably will not last and is your weak point. DO NOT tow in overdrive at all! That is your only chance for the trans to last a while.
I believe the tbi 350 is rated around 210 hp and 250 tq and will pull decent as long as you are not in hills.
I would go with at least some air shocks or maybe even bags as the rear springs are on the soft side on your truck.
The goodthing is it is easy and cheap to modify this rig and the trans can be beefed to handle anything.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #9

By the way - the truck does great with the new camper.