Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #21
RCW

When using a WDH, you are using a lever to lift the rear axle. By doing so it transfers weight. Some of that weight is transfered to the front axle, and considering that the other end of the lever is attached to the trailer some must be transfered to it.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
When using a WDH, you are using a lever to lift the rear axle. By doing so it transfers weight. Some of that weight is transfered to the front axle, and considering that the other end of the lever is attached to the trailer some must be transfered to it.
Agreed. Many people don't realize that the WD hitch transfers weight back to the trailer. You will see this effect at the CAT scale when you weigh with bars attached vs bars sitting in the back of the truck.

Engaging the bars has no effect on GCW because the overall weight of the rig is the same, but it does help with payload of the TV some, particularity if you have already counted the weight of the hitch against your payload.
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1 liter, 4.10, tow rating 12,000, GCWR 19,000, Doorjamb payload: 2108
2003 Suburban 1500 Z71, 5.3/3.73, airbags, LT tires, Big Brake Upgrade, Prodigy P2
Shamrockthecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #23

If buying from the owner see if you can hook and go I don’t endorse overweight towing but get on the highway see how it handles regardless of the weight if you don’t feel safe then it’s not worth it. Even if under weight if you have “ white knuckle “ experience think twice if you don’t mind the way it handles take it to a scale if within a reasonable range and you like it go for it
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #24

Good idea Moose, I agree and am requesting that from the seller.
TT: 2011 Coachmen 28DDS
GreenHorn Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #25

OP you can do it

IMO, you are getting into 3/4 ton territory. But based upon flat Midwest roads and short trips, I’m leaning toward GO FOR IT!

A test run is a nice idea, but will you be able to do it with a WDH and anti-sway bar?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
IMO, you are getting into 3/4 ton territory. But based upon flat Midwest roads and short trips, I’m leaning toward GO FOR IT!

A test run is a nice idea, but will you be able to do it with a WDH and anti-sway bar?
I'd probably do the same thing for short, flat trips. I always tend to be one of weight police. But if you're using the truck within reason, you'll be fine.

In my case, we'd go from 8' to 5300' above sea level in the same day and our maxed out F150 was getting another passenger (Baby #3). We needed more truck. But a 1/2 ton can make it happen within reasonable expectations.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #27

Thanks

Thanks for the comment, Beachbourbon. My intention is to do a test run using the equal-i-zer WDS, drive it on the highway for a bit, and get the combined TV and TT weighed at a CAT scale.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHorn Hauler View Post
Thanks for the comment, Beachbourbon. My intention is to do a test run using the equal-i-zer WDS, drive it on the highway for a bit, and get the combined TV and TT weighed at a CAT scale.
Check out equalizers YouTube video on setting up the hitch as well. All you need is some wrenches and a tape measure and you can get it dialed in really well.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #29

Likely as not you will be over payload.

The rear will likely need spring help, maybe.

30’ is a big sail and more truck weight will keep the truck on four wheels.

Fuel is not included on factory stickers payload.

You have to load the truck ready to camp with the hitch in the back with the other gear. Then pay the $14 to weigh it. If you read the history on these published numbers it will scare you what went on in the past.

For the trailer use 12% of the maximum weight on the sticker not dry weight for hitch weight. Many are overloaded with water in the tank. We all haul too much.

Will it tow it, sure. You are at or near the 3/4 ton truck line.

Near Branson the truck will not like those hills. Expect 25-30 mph in the slow lane with the engine screaming.

Don’t trust me, weigh the truck.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #30
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
After you think you know where you are weight wise, go to a scale (Like a Cat Scale) and weigh. You might be surprised.

Do this loaded like you are heading to camp.

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/
x2

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #31

Update- Cat Scale and Door Sticker

Last night, when I got home I looked at the sticker on the door and it said "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1550lbs."

The GVWR of the TV is 7200.

I went and fueled the truck up completely and weighed it at a scale with me in the vehicle. Total weight came to 5820 (3440 front axle, 2380 rear axle). According to my calculation that leaves me with another 1380 lbs for additional occupants (wife, small child, dog), cargo (truck bed), and the hitch weight. To play it safe I'm thinking of limiting only firewood (enough for one night as we frequently camp with others) and very light gear like kids toys to the bed (150lbs or less). Coolers and other heavier items that previously went in the bed would go in the TT as it has more room than our last TT.

I also recalculated my hitch weight to include battery weight, equalizer hitch, and tongue weight of the trailer (930lbs). I didn't account for propane tank weight as I called Coachmen and they said they include propane tank weight along with the hitch weight when the camper leaves the floor.

In all, this really leaves a thin margin of available payload in the TV, however I'm still under my calculated GCVWR of 15000 and towing capacity of 9500, but I will confirm that this weekend when I pull the camper to a Cat Scale to measure the gross combined weight of the TV and TT. I also know that I will need to factor in the weight of cargo that we will be putting in the camper as well. If I buy the camper, I will fully load it up before a camping trip and then take to a cat scale by my home.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #32

Well done. We do have very similar trucks then. My payload sticker said 1511 lbs and weighed in at 6028 with me in the truck plus some gear, tonneau cover and spray on bed liner. Pretty sure the bed liner added a 100 lbs of weight.

On the bright we have a very small trailer so no where near close to payload when it will be loaded.
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #33

It appears the OP has a good weight plan of attack.
I expect he will be able to keep below the weight capacities within his rig.
My CAT scale trip was eye opening. I was overweight and no longer haul a load of firewood or any water in the tanks. I removed a LOT of stuff from both TV & TT.
Yes, a WDH does indeed lever some weight to both the front TV axle AND the TT axle(s). My WDH pushed 140# to the TV steer axle and 80# to the TT axle.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #34
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHorn Hauler View Post
Last night, when I got home I looked at the sticker on the door and it said "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1550lbs."

The GVWR of the TV is 7200.

I went and fueled the truck up completely and weighed it at a scale with me in the vehicle. Total weight came to 5820 (3440 front axle, 2380 rear axle). According to my calculation that leaves me with another 1380 lbs for additional occupants (wife, small child, dog), cargo (truck bed), and the hitch weight. To play it safe I'm thinking of limiting only firewood (enough for one night as we frequently camp with others) and very light gear like kids toys to the bed (150lbs or less). Coolers and other heavier items that previously went in the bed would go in the TT as it has more room than our last TT.

I also recalculated my hitch weight to include battery weight, equalizer hitch, and tongue weight of the trailer (930lbs). I didn't account for propane tank weight as I called Coachmen and they said they include propane tank weight along with the hitch weight when the camper leaves the floor.

In all, this really leaves a thin margin of available payload in the TV, however I'm still under my calculated GCVWR of 15000 and towing capacity of 9500, but I will confirm that this weekend when I pull the camper to a Cat Scale to measure the gross combined weight of the TV and TT. I also know that I will need to factor in the weight of cargo that we will be putting in the camper as well. If I buy the camper, I will fully load it up before a camping trip and then take to a cat scale by my home.

That was a good move!

When you go back, fully hooked up, pay attention to the Front Axle weight of your TV. If it drops a lot, it will give you an indication of how your WDH is set up and if it needs adjustment to throw more weight to the front.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer, travel, travel trailer, truck