Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Trucks

FYI interesting

2015 Ford F-150 Has Weakness: No Diesel Engine | GM Authority
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #2

Very interesting, I'm not a Ford guy but I admire them for being different and that will improve the market. Plus, without an efficient high power gas option from the other makes gas only devotees will flock to Ford.

It'll be interesting to watch unfold.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

IMO...Ford needs to ride the Ecoboost platform as long as they can as it's proven to be a good setup in the various vehicles that come with it.

I'd prefer to see more refined and turbo charged 4cy/6cy/8cy gassers offered for power and fuel economy for the everyday driver and leave the diesels for the work/tow crowd.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Very interesting, I'm not a Ford guy but I admire them for being different and that will improve the market. Plus, without an efficient high power gas option from the other makes gas only devotees will flock to Ford.

It'll be interesting to watch unfold.
I have to somewhat agree and disagree with this ! As far as a high efficient high power gas motor from other makes I have to disagree Not to up to date on Chevy gas motors in their 1500 but the Ram is still putting the 5.7 Hemi in the 1500 with an 8 speed auto rated at 395hp and 410 tq and from what I hear its quite a a strong setup ! TFT tested it with the F150 Eco towing 7000# up the Ike Gaunlet and it beat the F150 Eco not by much like 2 seconds or something . IMO I think Ford will miss out on a little of the market share when Chevy and Ram (which already has a diesel) both have diesels ! It will be interesting to see unfold
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
IMO...Ford needs to ride the Ecoboost platform as long as they can as it's proven to be a good setup in the various vehicles that come with it.

I'd prefer to see more refined and turbo charged 4cy/6cy/8cy gassers offered for power and fuel economy for the everyday driver and leave the diesels for the work/tow crowd.
The Europeans have proven beyond any argument that a turbo diesel engine is always more efficient that even the most efficient turbo gasoline engine. The American makers are far behind the Europeans on engine design (interestingly, so are the Japanese.) However we have only ourselves to blame.

Case in point. Chevy advertises their v6 option is the most fuel efficient full size truck produced today (gas engines only, they purposely do not compare the diesel Ram 1500.) However in an interview the design team lead said they expect to retail (non-commercial) consumers to select the v6 less than 10% of the time. In truth most truck buyers will never tow anything. If they do it will be something small and light. The vast majority of new truck buyers do not need anything larger than the v6, but virtually none of them will choose it.

The Big 2.5 are not going to sink money into engine design if they believe we customers do not care. Dodge/Fiat/Chysler/Ram was shocked that the first run of diesel powered 1500's sold out in less than 2 days. Ford has significant internal logistical problems because they could not build as many eco-boost motors as the market demanded. Both companies have realized they seriously misjudged the market.

I think you are absolutely correct that Ford intends to ride the Eco-Boost as far as possible. While this might have taught them other more fuel efficient platforms will sell well, they are still too cautious to pursue a small turbo-diesel option. Of course they have good reason to be reticent to try an all new diesel engine after the 6.oh no debacle.

Ram needs to figure out their supply chain problems ASAP. They could literally sell as many diesel 1500's as they can build, but their initial run was only 10,000 trucks (which again sold out on a single Friday-Saturday run).

And meanwhile Nissan is supposed to have a Cummins powered 1/2 ton in showrooms this fall.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
they are still too cautious to pursue a small turbo-diesel option. .
You want to talk about cautious, they were in development in 2002 of a "baby" diesel for the F-150. Everyone, and I mean everyone, on the F-150 forums was ready to trade immediately for that truck. Rumor was, they couldn't make it meet the coming 2006 emissions standards and scrapped it. I believe that Americans would embrace diesel today if given reasonable priced options. I know I would. I have a 4.6L gasser that can't tow the camper I want at just 5,600 lbs. A baby diesel would tow that easily. I don't want to have to get an F250/350 to do it.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Stick a 6.6L Duramax in a 1500 and detune it for the market and let her buck thats what I say!

I can tell my local fuel station went back to summer fuel since last friday as i filled up yesterday and drove 110 miles and averaging 19.3 mpg.
16.5 mpg last tank.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
The Europeans have proven beyond any argument that a turbo diesel engine is always more efficient that even the most efficient turbo gasoline engine. The American makers are far behind the Europeans on engine design (interestingly, so are the Japanese.) However we have only ourselves to blame.

Case in point. Chevy advertises their v6 option is the most fuel efficient full size truck produced today (gas engines only, they purposely do not compare the diesel Ram 1500.) However in an interview the design team lead said they expect to retail (non-commercial) consumers to select the v6 less than 10% of the time. In truth most truck buyers will never tow anything. If they do it will be something small and light. The vast majority of new truck buyers do not need anything larger than the v6, but virtually none of them will choose it.

The Big 2.5 are not going to sink money into engine design if they believe we customers do not care. Dodge/Fiat/Chysler/Ram was shocked that the first run of diesel powered 1500's sold out in less than 2 days. Ford has significant internal logistical problems because they could not build as many eco-boost motors as the market demanded. Both companies have realized they seriously misjudged the market.

I think you are absolutely correct that Ford intends to ride the Eco-Boost as far as possible. While this might have taught them other more fuel efficient platforms will sell well, they are still too cautious to pursue a small turbo-diesel option. Of course they have good reason to be reticent to try an all new diesel engine after the 6.oh no debacle.

Ram needs to figure out their supply chain problems ASAP. They could literally sell as many diesel 1500's as they can build, but their initial run was only 10,000 trucks (which again sold out on a single Friday-Saturday run).

And meanwhile Nissan is supposed to have a Cummins powered 1/2 ton in showrooms this fall.
That whole thing with the RAM selling out was not entirely true to a point in that there were only a small percentage actually sold to individuals. Most were ordered by dealers for lot stock.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
That whole thing with the RAM selling out was not entirely true to a point in that there were only a small percentage actually sold to individuals. Most were ordered by dealers for lot stock.
The fact remains they expected to sell about 10K units in the first production cycle (year) and they were ordered within 48 hours. Try and find one on a local dealer lot. You would have an easier time getting warranty work done on a 20 year old FR unit from a dealer who did not sell it.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
The fact remains they expected to sell about 10K units in the first production cycle (year) and they were ordered within 48 hours. Try and find one on a local dealer lot. You would have an easier time getting warranty work done on a 20 year old FR unit from a dealer who did not sell it.
4 of them sitting in one dealer lot here. I see no reason to get wrapped around the axle over what I said. People like diesels and will buy them, it just annoys me to no end when manufacturers spew anything to impress people. Just like GM comparing their 5.3 ECO TEc v8 to an Eco Boost humm.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
2 sitting here on the lot here in d port.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
4 of them sitting in one dealer lot here.
Hmm, Canada thing?

Local dealer ordered 2 - both sold before he got them. Have a buddy who sells at another dealer, they ordered 4. All gone before they arrived.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

In Korea, they are starting to put diesels in passenger cars. I was fortunate to meet the head of GM's diesel engine division in Seoul a few years ago. He expressed that the diesel would dominate the market here. I can now see that he was correct.
Our Hyundai H1 van has a 2.5L Mitsubishi diesel engine. It is fantastic. 24 MPG, and I don't tow slowly, either... LOL
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #14

GM had plans to produce a "baby" v6 duramax, it got put on hold when the crap hit the fan, maybe it will get revived with all this.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #15

I have heard some arguments that the coyote engines in the new fords are not as good for towing as the old 5.4 liter gas engines. Our 2010 F-150 5.4 (seems to pull our 2014 24 foot Wild Cat (T24RG) with no issues.
Anyone out there have a different opinion on this ??
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
GM had plans to produce a "baby" v6 duramax, it got put on hold when the crap hit the fan, maybe it will get revived with all this.
saw a duramax equipped traverse in a parking lot at bronners christmas store awhile back with manuf plates

Chevrolet rolls out diesel-powered dream team | Community Bulletin Board | GMA News Online

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
Disney camper

If they could ecoboost the 5.0L they would have a wonder...
Old 04-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #18
Disney camper

Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
I have heard some arguments that the coyote engines in the new fords are not as good for towing as the old 5.4 liter gas engines. Our 2010 F-150 5.4 (seems to pull our 2014 24 foot Wild Cat (T24RG) with no issues.
Anyone out there have a different opinion on this ??

I had a 06 F150 5.4L 3.73 rear end super crew and it just seed to run out of power. I pulled a 295BHS Springdale.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper67 View Post
If they could ecoboost the 5.0L they would have a wonder...
I'd like to see a twin turbo GM 6.2...talk about a torque beast on your hands ,)

Old 04-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
Disney camper

That would be a beast

Tags
truck