Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #21
Site Team

The bumper rating is straight down weight. This option has a large torque component so the bumper capacity is significantly reduced. If you search you will see that people that carry bikes on bumper mounts claim they get bounced around badly or even lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesNY View Post
Stumbled on this....

Swagman 4 Bike Carrier RV Mounted Bike Rack

Product weight 41 lbs, plus 4 bikes (say 30lbs ea) = around 160 lbs. Also looks much more stable on the bumper with the 4 bumper attach points. Hummm

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #22

That's a good point, I would NOT carry any bike worth anything on a bumper mount rack. Even though I think I am "OK" with the Mount-n-Lock arms and straps, the bikes move on the rack and bang each other. Significant scratch damage.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #23

Curt receiver for RV Bumper

Quote:
Well we have only had our TT a little over 2 weeks now and have been to 2 campgrounds and love it! We would, however, like to make better use of space for additional items like 4 mountain bikes, a cooler, our fire pit and possibly a moped or two. We pack up the bed of my Dodge which along with the TT sags my rear pretty bad.

My question... has anyone had a hitch welded to the frame of their TT and if so, how much weight can you put in a cargo carrier? OR added a bolt on bumper hitch receiver and a bike rack? OR ...... any other options....

Thanks!
I have a Curt Class 3 bumper hitch to attach to the rear bumper (4" square) of your TT. It will allow you to attach a trailer behind if your state allows triple towing. I will let it go for $25.00 plus shipping (about 1/2 cost of new unit)

You can review the specs here:
http://www.carid.com/curt/curt-bumpe...8pnBoCVb7w_wcB

Let e know vis Private message if you need it.
Thanks
Douglas
Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #24

If you have enough space in your truck bed a Tail Gate Mat works well for me. I have a Thule Gate Mate Tailgate Pad and carry 4 bikes, so far frm the west coast to the east coast it has worked well. The bikes are off it now and I can't find a good pic of it but you can kind of see how it looks on my truck. The other pic is a stock pic from Thule.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	113990   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThuleTailGateMat.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	113991  

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #25

Quote:
I guess I can load the other goodies in the TT, maybe even in the bathroom to put a little weight towards the back of the TT.
Be careful with putting stuff in the back of the trailer. You need to maintain a tongue weight of 10 - 15% of trailer weight.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #26

Just another truck option, warning it is a bit pricey. I liked this to secure bike from harm and was able to use the truck bed for other items. (could do four bikes or with two bikes was still able to carry canoe on a roof rack.
I had a tonneau cover but rack fit outside of it on rails.Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-2010 Sony 185.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	674.4 KB
ID:	113994 This was a Yakima setup, believe Thule has the same. Using Roof rack rails mounted at top bed rail then roof rack and bike racks to fit the rails. Photo of rail style from Yakima catalog. Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal-Tracks.png
Views:	108
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	113995Good luck with whatever route you choose.

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:07 PM   #27

A bike mount on the front of truck may be your best bet
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:02 AM   #28

If ever a thread needs deleted immediately on this and other RV/Camping boards its these fear mongering rear attached rack threads.

Despite thousands upon thousands of people adding things to their rigs such as asked in this thread, most of whom never even visit a forum, it's always it can't be done. This forum is especially guilty of it. When I read through this thread I read a substantial amount of personal opinions and a lot of it is not based on any facts whatsoever. The fact is there are as many ways bumpers are attached to frames, and receivers and racks can be attached to frames, as there are opinions on these threads. The naysayers lump everything into the "it can't be done category"!
Well it can be done.

When someone posts up how they accomplished what is asked, with real proof including pictures, they are simply ignored by the naysayers on the boards and not acknowledged. Its actually very amusing to watch. I guess it's human nature and people just refuse to admit when they're wrong.

I for one do not believe in things that "cant be done". I look at things and figure out how it can be done. I get paid for it. The thing that I always get a good laugh out of is when the "ultralight" BS and welded together frame gets mentioned. Welded together frame rails, or manufactured beams, are the norm on just about every towable made today except some of the largest. Hardly anyone uses a true rolled structural member anymore and when one is used its usually a partial reinforcement. Ultralight is nothing more that a marketing term on a brochure and website, and I challenge anyone to provide verifiable proof otherwise. Most of the frames are made shoddily by LCI, with the least amount of material possible. Funny a quick web search will turn up multitudes of cracked and bent frames on supposed "heavyweight" 5ers, but few on trailers named "ultralight". Also the warranty statements that always come up is nothing more than a load of BS. Its the frame supplier and RV manufacturer attempting to cover their collective rear ends for the cruddy things they produce. All I have with my 2017 Rockwood even mentioning the frame is a small CYA sticker inside a cabinet. It says "Warning, attaching anything to the rear "BUMPER" "MAY" void your warranty. Nothing is mentioned about attaching to the frame and "may" has a broad meaning. Try and get a written warranty document from F.R. or LCI relating to the frame and spelling out the exact terms, you won't.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #29

i have the answer for the weight problems
been there done that

2016 Ram 3500 - Heavy Duty Pickup Trucks

and then you can buy a bigger TT

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #30

Yes

I wanted a little extra space, so I added a folding rack. It sits on the bumper, but it is connected to the back of the trailer. I just put light weight things on it. It eliminates the torsion element of something just attached to the bumper. My frame extends under the bumper and is welded. Seems very strong to me. I also carry two spares on the bumper. My spare came with a fold down carrier. I could never figure out what that feature was for, but it allowed a lot of movement of the spare. A large weight on the end of an 18" arm bouncing around in the middle of a bumper is a receipe for metal fatigue. I bolted it so it no longer moves.

If you're new here take a close look at your tires and their weight and speed ratings. Most are right at the weight limit with an empty trailer and only rated for 65 mph. I've upgraded mine with higher ratings for both.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:26 AM   #31
Engineer of Crazy Train

This is how I carry my bikes on my Ram Crew Cab.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...au-112229.html
You may want to look into a set of Timber Grove air bags. Great customer service, and easy to install.
Air Suspensions, Compressors, Springs and Motorcycle Jacks for Trucks Jim Falls WI | Timber Grove Enterprises, LLC
I see you have listed a 2014 Ram Truck 1500 with a Mega Cab? Is this custom? Or did you make a mistake. As far as I am aware, they only made the 1500 mega cabs for a few years in the previous generation.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
It says "Warning, attaching anything to the rear "BUMPER" "MAY" void your warranty. Nothing is mentioned about attaching to the frame and "may" has a broad meaning. Try and get a written warranty document from F.R. or LCI relating to the frame and spelling out the exact terms, you won't.

Which side of the "MAY" would you like to be on? The "MAY" be covered or the "MAY" not be covered? Especially when it's "THEY" who will be deciding the "MAY". 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
This is how I carry my bikes on my Ram Crew Cab.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...au-112229.html
You may want to look into a set of Timber Grove air bags. Great customer service, and easy to install.
Air Suspensions, Compressors, Springs and Motorcycle Jacks for Trucks Jim Falls WI | Timber Grove Enterprises, LLC
I see you have listed a 2014 Ram Truck 1500 with a Mega Cab? Is this custom? Or did you make a mistake. As far as I am aware, they only made the 1500 mega cabs for a few years in the previous generation.
Yes my truck is a 2014 Black Express Mega Cab 1500. I have heard great things about the Summitt Racing air bag kits. I will look into this other system, thanks.

I really like how you used that rack above the bed. How to you fasten the side rails to the truck bed?
GoodTimesNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Which side of the "MAY" would you like to be on? The "MAY" be covered or the "MAY" not be covered? Especially when it's "THEY" who will be deciding the "MAY". ��

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Doesn't matter what side of the "May". "They" will need to prove that whatever alteration I made was the cause of the failure which I was turning in for warranty. I "May" need to prove that what alteration I made did not cause the issue which can be done but if I post how you go about that it will be a violation of the forum rules. Its all covered under the Magnusson Moss act.

If I know the modification I made caused the failure I would not be trying to get it done under the warranty to begin with.

In regards to a failure we had with the water tank on our Rockwood, I have requested, via certified and registered mail, a copy of the written frame warranty from both LCI and Rockwood with no response whatsoever 3 times in the last 10 weeks. I know they received the request. Still none has been provided.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #35

There have been many great suggestions people have posted here for bike mounts in the truck bed. I think at this point I will put the bikes in or on top of my bed and focus on where to put the very light but cumbersome fire pit and perhaps some wood. We may pickup a portable waste tank to bring with us when boon docking so this I would need a place for as well. Again, big and cumbersome but light weight. I could fit the genny and 5 gal fuel can in the bed of my truck along with the 4 bikes.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #36
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Yes my truck is a 2014 Black Express Mega Cab 1500. I have heard great things about the Summitt Racing air bag kits. I will look into this other system, thanks.

I really like how you used that rack above the bed. How to you fasten the side rails to the truck bed?
How did you get a Mega Cab 1500? That is my interest. I was looking into the EcoDiesels since before they made and they only offered a Crew, Quad and Std cab. I love the Megas, but they were only available in the 2500 and 3500s.

The Bike racks are mounted to the rails of my Tonneau Cover. I feel, no matter which Tonneau I picked, I would have to compromise something. When purchasing, I had 3 options.

1) What I have. Pace Edwards Tonneau with explorer rails. Uses regular roof hardware inside the 'T' slots. Drawback is losing a little space for the box that holds the retractable tonneau.

2) Bakflip Tonneau Cover with Ladder Rack. I would have to fabricate something high enough to be able to flip open the tonneau. But, I would lose 0 bed space. More complex

3) Cap with rack. I like this option, but I would need a pretty tall ladder to put the bikes on top of the cap. Very doable.

It seems that the Timber Grove air bags are beginning to be the choice of helpers for the Ram1500Diesel community. One person had an issue. The owner came and FIXED IT HIMSELF. When I need a little help with a saggy butt, I will be installing these.
Timber Grove customer support
Locomotive Engineer
Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #37

ChoChoo this is my rig. The offered a limited production of the 1500 Black Express in Mega Cab for 2014. I got one of a few in the north east that I know of.

I just left a local custom truck shop and am having the Airlift 5000 lb air bag kit installed in my truck next Tuesday.

I really dig the above bed bike rack you've got going. I am going to research that now and see how much it is going to run me.

edit: it doesn't look like I can go with your set up as I already have a tonneau cover. It is the soft roll up type so it attaches via velcro the the side rails. No area to drill into for the rack side rails to mount to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160713_090557.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	114022  
Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #38
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
ChoChoo this is my rig. The offered a limited production of the 1500 Black Express in Mega Cab for 2014. I got one of a few in the north east that I know of.

I just left a local custom truck shop and am having the Airlift 5000 lb air bag kit installed in my truck next Tuesday.

I really dig the above bed bike rack you've got going. I am going to research that now and see how much it is going to run me.
Bike rack above the bed is great, as this is often an underutilized area. I tried getting as many parts used as possible.

Nice looking truck.

Here is my Crew Cab 1500 with 6' bed.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 07-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
If ever a thread needs deleted immediately on this and other RV/Camping boards its these fear mongering rear attached rack threads.

Despite thousands upon thousands of people adding things to their rigs such as asked in this thread, most of whom never even visit a forum, it's always it can't be done. This forum is especially guilty of it. When I read through this thread I read a substantial amount of personal opinions and a lot of it is not based on any facts whatsoever. The fact is there are as many ways bumpers are attached to frames, and receivers and racks can be attached to frames, as there are opinions on these threads. The naysayers lump everything into the "it can't be done category"!
Well it can be done.

When someone posts up how they accomplished what is asked, with real proof including pictures, they are simply ignored by the naysayers on the boards and not acknowledged. Its actually very amusing to watch. I guess it's human nature and people just refuse to admit when they're wrong.

I for one do not believe in things that "cant be done". I look at things and figure out how it can be done. I get paid for it. The thing that I always get a good laugh out of is when the "ultralight" BS and welded together frame gets mentioned. Welded together frame rails, or manufactured beams, are the norm on just about every towable made today except some of the largest. Hardly anyone uses a true rolled structural member anymore and when one is used its usually a partial reinforcement. Ultralight is nothing more that a marketing term on a brochure and website, and I challenge anyone to provide verifiable proof otherwise. Most of the frames are made shoddily by LCI, with the least amount of material possible. Funny a quick web search will turn up multitudes of cracked and bent frames on supposed "heavyweight" 5ers, but few on trailers named "ultralight". Also the warranty statements that always come up is nothing more than a load of BS. Its the frame supplier and RV manufacturer attempting to cover their collective rear ends for the cruddy things they produce. All I have with my 2017 Rockwood even mentioning the frame is a small CYA sticker inside a cabinet. It says "Warning, attaching anything to the rear "BUMPER" "MAY" void your warranty. Nothing is mentioned about attaching to the frame and "may" has a broad meaning. Try and get a written warranty document from F.R. or LCI relating to the frame and spelling out the exact terms, you won't.

Totally agree. Especially when you can get a rear mounted receiver hitch that mounts to the frame.

Here is how I roll:

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	114045

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Bike rack above the bed is great, as this is often an underutilized area. I tried getting as many parts used as possible.

Nice looking truck.

Here is my Crew Cab 1500 with 6' bed.
Nice! Are those aftermarket or factory extended tow mirrors? They look longer then mine. On my list of add ons.

Tags
frame, hitch, towing