Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Cutty

TT Hitch Ball wear

I hope this is the right place to ask this question if not let me know.
We made our first long trip that took about three weeks and about 3,000 miles from Al to Penn last month. About 3/4 through the trip I noticed the hitch making noises that it never made before. When we stopped and set up I inspected the ball and it seemed to be wearing some with visible signs of brass showing through the chrome ball. I looked under the hitch where the ball rides and it seems to be wearing a grove in the back side of the hitch. I kept it lubed with silicone the rest of the trip and that seemed to help but it continued to make noise after a long day. Any ideas What would caused this and how should it be fixed or avoided or is this normal wear and tear? (as in tearing it up).......
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

I put a clean smear of wheel bearing grease on the ball before trips.
Not only does it lube things but the layer of grease inside the tongue keeps the bare metal from rusting. Rusting on the inside of the tongue is what causes wear.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

I do not understand why people are hesitant to grease their hitch ball.

Over on TheHullTruth.com, a boating forum, there are HUGE arguments about it.

This is a metal on metal moving joint - Of COURSE it needs to be greased.

Don't be shy, or only give it a little silicone grease. Before every trip, I take a can of wheel bearing grease, flip it upside down and put my hitch ball in it. Get that thing covered!
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
We made our first long trip that took about three weeks and about 3,000 miles from Al to Penn last month. About 3/4 through the trip I noticed the hitch making noises that it never made before. When we stopped and set up I inspected the ball and it seemed to be wearing some with visible signs of brass showing through the chrome ball. I looked under the hitch where the ball rides and it seems to be wearing a grove in the back side of the hitch. I kept it lubed with silicone the rest of the trip and that seemed to help but it continued to make noise after a long day. Any ideas What would caused this and how should it be fixed or avoided or is this normal wear and tear? (as in tearing it up).......
Hitch Type? Pic.even Better! Youroo!!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

This is probably not the best application for silicone spray. Bearing grease is the better choice, this is a high load application. Put a plastic grocery bag over the ball when you park
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

First off, you want to have a forged ball, not a cheap one. That ball is the only thing between you and your trailer, or fifth wheel parting company going down the road...

It's 2 metal surfaces sliding against each other under load so it need to have a boundary lubricant applied. Chassis grease, spray grease or any grease for that matter (even KY will work)....lol

If you are wearing the plating off the ball (and plating tells me is't a cheap, not forged ball), that indicates a dry surface and the 'wearing' is not really wearing, but the coupler is seizing to the ball itself (that is what you hear, the noise).

I know, no one likes a greasy ball (gets on your clothes if you rub against it).

Myself, I cover my hitch ball when not in use, with a tennis ball with a split in it to fit over the ball. I use a bright green tennis ball that is readily seen.

A lubricated ball will also improve handling as it will allow the trailer to track truer behind the tow vehicle....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

By reading some of the replies we don't want the O.P. to think that all metal to metal surfaces should be greased. If you are using a weight distribution type hitch that has swaybars that ride on cams or a L-bracket DO NOT grease those areas. You need friction for the sway bars to operate properly.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Coachman 312BHDS

You're scaring us with a brass loiking ball. Brass is relatively soft. Pkease pist a picture but i highly suspect you need to invest in a higher-end ball.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
CJ2

He's most likely seeing the substrate that the chrome was applied to. Chrome doesn't stick to steel very well, so plating involves a coat of copper then nickel before the chrome.
CJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #10

My hitch was making all kinds of noise and showing some wear. I tried lithium grease on the ball and it helped some. Until it rained and then it went right back to grinding and squeaking again. The cure was bearing grease on the ball and the pivot points on my trunnion bars. With the occasional cam pop it's very quiet and no more signs of wear.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
Coachman 312BHDS

Right - they are probably all forged with different finishes but the quality seems to vary widely with so much import stuff available. The name brand raw heat treated balls can get a bit pricy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
He's most likely seeing the substrate that the chrome was applied to. Chrome doesn't stick to steel very well, so plating involves a coat of copper then nickel before the chrome.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Just A Member

Yes check your ball. Make sure it is rated for the weight you are pulling. If I remember correctly chrome plated balls are only good for 6000 lbs. Mine is rated for 10000 lbs. and is not plated. Not sure what the highest rated
2 1/4 inch ball you can get is.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
Just A Member

Just checked e-trailer wow - had no idea 30,000 lbs

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	122268
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
You're scaring us with a brass loiking ball. Brass is relatively soft. Pkease pist a picture but i highly suspect you need to invest in a higher-end ball.
Brass is the base metal used to coat steel before chroming.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #15

Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I do not understand why people are hesitant to grease their hitch ball.

Over on TheHullTruth.com, a boating forum, there are HUGE arguments about it.

This is a metal on metal moving joint - Of COURSE it needs to be greased.

Don't be shy, or only give it a little silicone grease. Before every trip, I take a can of wheel bearing grease, flip it upside down and put my hitch ball in it. Get that thing covered!
I use teflon ball grease expensive but no sign of wear
thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
The first thing that I would verify is the ball-mount spring bar angle is correct for your loaded combination. If it's wearing like you say it is you have an interference angle problem when coupled. You need to correct that right away. As for lubricant, I use molybdenum disulphide grease. Worried about getting grease on your pants? Cover the ball with sliced tennis ball.
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
code.org

Reese Ball Lube

I keep a jar of Reese Ball Lube in my "camping stuff" toolbox which goes in the bed of the truck on every trip. Every time I hook up the ball gets lubed with an even covering. When not hitched, I put a rubber cap over the ball to keep the lube from getting on everything. You can get both on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0008...7TL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...tch+ball+cover
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #18

I'm on a 4-5 month trip holding up here Nashville waiting out Matthew before heading home to South Florida. About 2 weeks ago in Michigan I heard a clunking noise. Upon inspection I discovered the ball nut was coming unscrewed. Kinda freaked me out what could have happened. I found out I didn't have a 1 7/8" socket but was able tighten it up with channel locks. Since the bolt threads were somewhat chewed up so I when to a hitch shop and had it replaced with a new one. So word to the wise is to check this nut but all your nuts. LOL. But seriously could have been a dangerous mess.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
By reading some of the replies we don't want the O.P. to think that all metal to metal surfaces should be greased. If you are using a weight distribution type hitch that has swaybars that ride on cams or a L-bracket DO NOT grease those areas. You need friction for the sway bars to operate properly.
Happy trails,

Our WDH requires greasing the "L" brackets where the bars sit on.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #20

What I do with my balls (no pun intended) is, I install them, crank the nut down with an impact wrench (the nut is against a lockwasher) and then I take my wire welder and put a weld spot or 2 between the threads and the nut.

If you have to remove the ball, you can still break the nut free, but it won't come loose by itself.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch