Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 05:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmillermtsu View Post
With a dry weight of 8720 and a tongue weight of 1390 on your trailer, I'm just wondering what your trailer actually weighed when you loaded it and reweighed it. My 8300# advertised dry weight grew to nearly 9600# when I lightly loaded mine and weighed it on the CAT scales. It's amazing that you could tow what you are towing without exceeding at least one of your weight ratings. If you are not, my hat is off to you.
I will not question the effectiveness of the Hensley/Propride hitch, it works. But using it or any other WDH hitch to fix a sway condition at normal highway speeds should be avoided if possible. You will always be safer fixing the problem that is causing the sway to happen in the first place. There are ways to raise the critical speed when sway occurs from both sides of truck and trailer. Sometimes when trailer issues can’t be resolved easily the best solution is too increase the TV unladen mass.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
I will not question the effectiveness of the Hensley/Propride hitch, it works. But using it or any other WDH hitch to fix a sway condition at normal highway speeds should be avoided if possible. You will always be safer fixing the problem that is causing the sway to happen in the first place. There are ways to raise the critical speed when sway occurs from both sides of truck and trailer. Sometimes when trailer issues can’t be resolved easily the best solution is too increase the TV unladen mass.
As I suggested, what needs to happen is that the weight on the trailer needs to be shifted forward as too little tongue weight is what generally causes a sway problem. Now you can do this by adding weight to the front, removing it from the back, or in most cases simply adjust the ball height thereby automatically shifting the weight from the pivot point. Also he may be putting too much tension on the bars and not allowing the trailer to put any weight on the tow vehicle. It's all about tongue weight. I once had a snowmobile trailer and if I didn't pull them all the way to the front of the trailer it used to dance all over the road. Just a matter of a few inches made all the difference in the world. I also lowered the ball height and then you never knew it was back there. Somebody who knows what they are doing should take a look at his setup and perhaps make some adjustments. This can be fixed without throwing out the baby. Just sayin.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #43

Even moving weight forward doesn't always help. BTDT. Had a TT that had the axles to far towards the center. I had the TW at 12.5%. Literally could not find enough room or heavy stuff to make it heavier. It still wiggled when towing. Not sway just wandering.
RK's should always have the axles further towards the rear than normal to compensate for the rear loading.

In the case of the OP's, IMO he simply doesn't have enough truck. A Hensley or Pro Pride will be the band-aide to cure all.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Even moving weight forward doesn't always help. BTDT. Had a TT that had the axles to far towards the center. I had the TW at 12.5%. Literally could not find enough room or heavy stuff to make it heavier. It still wiggled when towing. Not sway just wandering.
RK's should always have the axles further towards the rear than normal to compensate for the rear loading.

In the case of the OP's, IMO he simply doesn't have enough truck. A Hensley or Pro Pride will be the band-aide to cure all.
If the problem is with the trailer, why is it others do not have the same problem. I still say his problem is in the hitch setting or the way he is using his leveling bars. When standing away from the trailer, when hitched, it should be dipping down in the front. If not, it will be a problem. Most novices make the mistake of using their "leveling" hitch to "level" the trailer. As most of us know this is a recipe for disaster, particularly if pulling a trailer that is ass heavy. I never had a problem with a rear kitchen and I only owned one, other than trying to keep dishes, etc. from bouncing all over the place.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #45
Site Team

Well, I've been towing our 26'6" rear kitchen TT for some time now and have driven from the Canadian border to Tucson.
I have a F150 3.5 Ecoboost SCREW 4x4 with Max Tow package and 1828lbs of payload. I use a 4pt Equal-i-zer for a WDH.
I've gone over the Cascades, the Siskiyous and the Sierras.
At no time have I had any sway issues. In fact, I have to add weight to the rear of the trailer since the tongue weight is heavy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #46
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, I've been towing our 26'6" rear kitchen TT for some time now and have driven from the Canadian border to Tucson.
I have a F150 3.5 Ecoboost SCREW 4x4 with Max Tow package and 1828lbs of payload. I use a 4pt Equal-i-zer for a WDH.
At no time have I had any sway issues. In fact, I have to add weight to the rear of the trailer since the tongue weight is heavy.
But how much does your trailer weigh when loaded?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #47

Quote:
You TT is 1700 lbs lighter and 7'6" shorter. Your setup is what the OP should be towing.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #48
Site Team

A number of comments about rear kitchen TTs are generalizations.
Mine loaded is around 6500lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #49

Air out the bags. Set the truck up using the front fender measurements per the Ford manual. If you're using a friction base WDH and airing the bags up after hitched then you're reducing the friction thats required to help control sway. You need to weigh your TT as well. You need at a minimum 12%+ for TW. If your TT weighs 8000 lbs loaded then you need 960 lbs for TW.

Bags are only good if you carry a lot of stuff in the bed when towing. You can load the truck with gear, then use the bags to set the rear back to it's OEM height. Only then do you hitch up with the WDH and use the WDH to set the front of the truck up.

In the end I'll stick by my opinion that the trucks too light and short for an 8,000 lb 34' TT.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #50

Quote:
A number of comments about rear kitchen TTs are generalizations.
Mine loaded is around 6500lbs.
Yes they are. Differences between trailers that matter is axle position, rear overhang, and effective tongue length. In general longer trailers will have longer moment arms making them more likely to move around then shorter ones.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #51
Multi-Slacker

I fear the OP has been scared off.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
I fear the OP has been scared off.
He'll be back with a 3/4 ton truck and tell us how great his RK tows.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
He'll be back with a 3/4 ton truck and tell us how great his RK tows.
You guys never quit do you even though there is anecdotical examples of others doing just fine with their half ton trucks. I think you must work for the 3/4 ton industry. LOL
Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #54
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
You guys never quit do you even though there is anecdotical examples of others doing just fine with their half ton trucks. I think you must work for the 3/4 ton industry. LOL
I guess the same could be said for you...

Giving advice for someone to do something that is not safe, just because you can get away with it...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #55

Went from a 30' bunk house to a 32' rear kitchen. Really cant see any difference in the way they tow. No sway issues, no rear cabinets flying open. Water tank is in back and I have towed with that full on occasion.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #56

I tow the same trailer, But I had a Tundra 5.7 with air bags, I carry no water and about 150lbs in the nose storage and added bedroom AC, tongue weight on this trailer with propane is about 950 lbs as configured above, tundra tongue weight limit was 1025lb. i use a Equalizer WD hitch
Only drove in Florida and even though i could pull it, it was a load on truck, I just stepped up to a F-250 Gas, 12500 lb on bumper pull with 1200 lb tongue weight. Tomorrow 1/18 I will pull trailer for 1st time with new truck, re adjusted WD hitch
Bottom line in my opinion is The F150 and tundra 5.7 are too small for this trailer, istill wont tow with water that is just an added 400 lbs that is not needed, can always find water close to where Im going.
fairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairpilot View Post
I tow the same trailer, But I had a Tundra 5.7 with air bags, I carry no water and about 150lbs in the nose storage and added bedroom AC, tongue weight on this trailer with propane is about 950 lbs as configured above, tundra tongue weight limit was 1025lb. i use a Equalizer WD hitch
Only drove in Florida and even though i could pull it, it was a load on truck, I just stepped up to a F-250 Gas, 12500 lb on bumper pull with 1200 lb tongue weight. Tomorrow 1/18 I will pull trailer for 1st time with new truck, re adjusted WD hitch
Bottom line in my opinion is The F150 and tundra 5.7 are too small for this trailer, istill wont tow with water that is just an added 400 lbs that is not needed, can always find water close to where Im going.
With all due respect you can hardly compare a Tundra to the newer F150s. I respect your choice to go to an F250 but it is a long cry from a Tundra to a well equipped Ford F150. Enjoy your travels. BTW for whatever it's worth, I never keep much more than a couple of gallons in my fresh tank. As you say why lug 400 lbs of water around with you when you are going to hook it to a hose when you get there.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 AM   #58

Quote:
Enjoy your travels. BTW for whatever it's worth, I never keep much more than a couple of gallons in my fresh tank. As you say why lug 400 lbs of water around with you when you are going to hook it to a hose when you get there.
Boondocking where there is no hose may require towing with the tank full, at least some distance.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #59

Quote:
With all due respect you can hardly compare a Tundra to the newer F150s. I respect your choice to go to an F250 but it is a long cry from a Tundra to a well equipped Ford F150. Enjoy your travels. BTW for whatever it's worth, I never keep much more than a couple of gallons in my fresh tank. As you say why lug 400 lbs of water around with you when you are going to hook it to a hose when you get there.
What exactly makes the Tundra a “long cry” from a f150 when it comes to towing stability and handling?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #60

Quote:
Anecdotal: -Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis.
-Based on incidental observations or reports rather than systematic evaluation.

You're right, that is LOL compare to your stance earlier...
So...

Tags
towing