Old 07-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips View Post
You need to turn your whole hitch setup around so you can adjust your ball lower.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Is that safe guys? I notice it has an additional support welded onto the top of the shank assisting with downward force, it will now be at the bottom not providing as much support. Is this ok?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #22

Perfectly ok. They're designed to be flipped. That support is more for front to back than up and down.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #23

Your trailer from the pic appears to be sitting high in front, that is usually not the perfect set-up, and in my mind not enough tongue weight may cause the sway. X2 on raspivey. Unhook your TT on level ground and level. At rear of TT measure ground to bumper. Put max 10 lbs in each bag for this measurement (normal riding lbs with no trailer). Measure front of truck ground to bumper(or any point on front end). Back truck up to trailer receiver. The top of the ball should be level with top of trailer receiver (not lower) but agree up to a inch higher is not off. If the ball does not sit this way you are not off to a good start. Once this is satisfied Hook up the trailer and use your weight distribution kit to level as best possible (chains or steel slide). Your goal is to get the front of your truck and back of your trailer as close as possible to original measurement with the weight distribution set-up. You can add air pressure in your bags and I would guess 25 to 35 lbs should get it level, at which time it should look level from back of trailer to front of truck. Fords do sag, but with 25 to 30 lbs in bags that should be enough lift the ass end. The bags are a good thing for Fords, but do not add or change your any of your weight ratio's, they do assist to level. Personally nothing on bumper. Yes x2 on the flip I have a ford and mine is flipped from your pic
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #24

Ok awesome - thanks everyone for your assistance. I`m traveling from West to East FL on Sunday but will have the shank turned prior and ball dropped 1 hole to start off with to see if i can get the TT level while keeping enough air in the bags - i`ll also put more weight in the front of the TT instead of leaving it semi empty. Will report back my findings on Monday - you guys are awesome!
Old 07-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #25

Let me also suggest that you get ahold of the install directions to your hitch and really go through them. I don't know if this is your case, but a lot of people I've talked to let the dealership set them up assuming they're done right and I've seen some pretty poor jobs come from a dealership. There's no substitute for being able to tweak these things yourself when so much depends on them being right. Not only for ride comfort, but for safety.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #26

From the pic you are nose high and you have 200 lbs hanging out the back.

Nose high and weight behind the axles accentuates/causes sway.

You need to flip that whole hitch shank upside down (which will make it right side up, currently it is upside down in the pic) to get more adjustment range. Drop it lower and it will level out your trailer. Also you need to shoot for around 15 percent tongue weight. Get it weighed ready to camp.
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
Ok awesome - thanks everyone for your assistance. I`m traveling from West to East FL on Sunday but will have the shank turned prior and ball dropped 1 hole to start off with to see if i can get the TT level while keeping enough air in the bags - i`ll also put more weight in the front of the TT instead of leaving it semi empty. Will report back my findings on Monday - you guys are awesome!
You must only have normal riding preasure in your air bags for initial set-up. 5 to 10 lbs. The air should be used to take sag out of rear end after. If you set-up with 30lbs your truck is way to high.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Let me also suggest that you get ahold of the install directions to your hitch and really go through them. I don't know if this is your case, but a lot of people I've talked to let the dealership set them up assuming they're done right and I've seen some pretty poor jobs come from a dealership. There's no substitute for being able to tweak these things yourself when so much depends on them being right. Not only for ride comfort, but for safety.
I purchased my previous RV with the WDH (it has bars and chains) - a tornado destroyed my rv leaving me with the WDH. Anycase, when purchasing the new RV i took the old WDH incl bars etc to the dealership, they then set it up. I told the technician that i use the air suspension when RV`ing and that he needs to take that into consideration when setting it up.

a) i dont have the doucmentation/information for the WDH

b) technician didnt install/setup the WDH correctly in the first place. If i recall it was nose in the air from day one. I should have realised something was off then already.

Some of the stuff mentioned comes with years of RV`ing experience - one would look at my setup and realize immediately i have a problem, i didnt see it although it was staring me in the face. It`ll get better with though!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
You must only have normal riding preasure in your air bags for initial set-up. 5 to 10 lbs. The air should be used to take sag out of rear end after. If you set-up with 30lbs your truck is way to high.
OK, got it!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
From the pic you are nose high and you have 200 lbs hanging out the back.

Nose high and weight behind the axles accentuates/causes sway.

You need to flip that whole hitch shank upside down (which will make it right side up, currently it is upside down in the pic) to get more adjustment range. Drop it lower and it will level out your trailer. Also you need to shoot for around 15 percent tongue weight. Get it weighed ready to camp.
You`re right - i noticed now while looking for another shank online that mine is already upside down and not the right way up ;-)

Tags
sway