Old 07-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #41

My TV auto levels (not actually sure if it's bags or air shocks..haven't looked). I can also say from personal experience that it does affect hitch settings. To dial mine in, I had to hook it up and let the compressor lift the back end and then remeasure and make adjustments. With air bags, I'd hook it up and air it up to the desired level, then readjust from there.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
Youroo, if i let anymore air out the TV to make the TT level im going to sacrifice something else somewhere. The Truck will no longer be level.

Perhaps i should have the tow hitch lowered to compensate for the air suspension lifting the truck backside up? I dont know. But so you`re saying its as simple as my setup not being level and nothing to do with the bikes on the back perhaps agitating the sway or perhaps even the stock tires on the TT?
Haven't read all the posts . don't need to your to high in the front of TT for one . not enough TW . and i would run the tires at max PSI sonce you can't get a good reading once driven i would check again in the am . level TV is no as important as a level TT . plus you need a bigger TV

Old 07-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #43

Move bicycles to the front of the trailer. (or bed of the truck)
Level the trailer (or slightly nose down) at tow loads.
Probably all you need.

Except since I am the weight police so I would really advise a larger truck.
Still need to weight the tongue properly.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #44

Sway Control??

I didn't read all 5 pages (did skim through) and while there was a lot of talk about leveling/load balancing the trailer, I didn't see anything about sway control. I saw the friction plate mounts on the WDH but are they being used?

I had a Dodge 1500 when we first got our 28DBUD and it swayed like crazy with our WDH. I added a Reese Dual Cam sway control and it made a MAJOR difference. Passing trucks and wind no longer affected just the trailer, the truck and camper moved together.

I have since moved a (much) heavier truck and that made a great deal of improvement as well. With the Dual Cam set-up and F-350, I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere
Old 07-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Just my $.02 as well... What is the levels of your tanks? With a big old trailer comes (sometimes) bigger tanks... If they are somewhat filled they slosh and that is another several hundreds lbs goign from side to side and resonating with your already loosey goosey travels.
I checked before i left town and my tanks were empty. Its a brand new TT so i was kinda hoping there was nothing in there but tested to confirm anyhows!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It is tough to come up with a solution over the internet.. Like my tank levels comment, the other thing I found is the better the WDH the happier one will be.. When running at / close or dare I say over weights the cheap WDH just did not please me. I started with a cheap ($200 maybe) curt set up that looks similar (not saying it is) WDH. It was loose and the friction sway controllers just never impressed me. I switch to a much better (IMO) setup with integrated sway control.
You could very well be right - the WDH i got from my old RV, that RV was 10yrs old already so the tech i guess too might be old. I have been looking at the newer WDH with integrated sway control too - some of those products look really great!! Im going to try and get mysetup correct as other have stated, measuring the TV, setting up the WDH so that the TT runs level is my top priority right now. I also want to get to a point where as others have mentioned that i can simply pump the bags prior to hitching, hitch the RV and know that my settings are going to be correct. I`ll get there, just need to mess around with the variables a little.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick_PSD View Post
I didn't read all 5 pages (did skim through) and while there was a lot of talk about leveling/load balancing the trailer, I didn't see anything about sway control. I saw the friction plate mounts on the WDH but are they being used?

I had a Dodge 1500 when we first got our 28DBUD and it swayed like crazy with our WDH. I added a Reese Dual Cam sway control and it made a MAJOR difference. Passing trucks and wind no longer affected just the trailer, the truck and camper moved together.

I have since moved a (much) heavier truck and that made a great deal of improvement as well. With the Dual Cam set-up and F-350, I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere
I have 2 x Sway Control Bars on my TT and tried tightening them as much as they would go, to the point where they groan and squeel alot at lower speeds specially while turning. Actually wondered if i wasn't tightening them too much. It is the Husky product, so i`m not sure how well that product really works but i know for a fact that it makes a difference, for the better.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #48

Move the bikes from the back of the trailer to the bed of the truck.
I suspect your problems will go away.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #49

44 psi in TV tires also indicates they are 'P' tires; get you a good set of at least 6 ply 'LT' tire, that will make a big difference too
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #50

I have the same TV and a similar sized trailer with WDH. I turned off the Sway Control on the TV because it was working against the WDH. Much better now in X-winds. You do not need a bigger TV. I usually carry only 20-30 pounds of air in the air bags. You need to air up the TT and TV to max PSI and readjust the WDH so the trailer is traveling level. Rear TV should be 1-2' lower than front. Measure at the bottom of fenders. Make sure that 10-15% of the trailer GW is on the hitch.

Jack

Tags
sway