Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #61
Camp Bartender

The 28dubuds are pretty heavy pigs to begin with, I know my 2015 has a stock 805 LB tongue weight. I just have load bars, no sway control, slow down in the winds, stay alert for passing big rigs, and I keep it 60 or under, so far (knock on wood) I've had no trouble with sway when towing. How tight do you snap up your load bars? Maybe they are not tight enough?

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Haven't read all the posts . don't need to your to high in the front of TT for one . not enough TW . and i would run the tires at max PSI sonce you can't get a good reading once driven i would check again in the am . level TV is no as important as a level TT . plus you need a bigger TV
I would love a bigger TV - that would solve all my problems, it would however make the hole in my pocket alot bigger! One day when im big i`ll get a bigger TV!!
GeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
The 28dubuds are pretty heavy pigs to begin with, I know my 2015 has a stock 805 LB tongue weight. I just have load bars, no sway control, slow down in the winds, stay alert for passing big rigs, and I keep it 60 or under, so far (knock on wood) I've had no trouble with sway when towing. How tight do you snap up your load bars? Maybe they are not tight enough?
The Tech told me to lift the tongue of the TT while connected to the TV as high as possible so i could snap the load bars on - its pretty tight, i cant get them off if i dont raise it up.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #64

Thank you to everyone who has responded with valuable input. Im trying my best to wing it while out and about - im in a foreign place travelling, have to work in the TT during the week and dont have time to get to a scale. I understand from the detailed explanations that i need to have the TT and TV weighed, do the measurements and set it up correctly else i`m always going to be guessing. Ive also gather that a proper WDH incl anti sway is a solution, albeit an expensive one. I feel however that the "old school" method of getting everything measured and weighed is the right way to do things before i start messing with expensive WDH systems.

Travelled 120 miles on Sunday - flipped the hitch right side up and lowered the hitch by 2". I pre filled the air bags with 30psi. After travelling 30 miles i stopped where i could find what seemed to be a level area at the gas station and dropped the air bag to 20 psi - making the TV close to level. I think i could probably go another 5psi?

I also left the bikes on the bike because i wanted to check if doing the above would work and, i didnt really have space to put the bikes on the back of the truck - i will however on the long trek back home as the bed will be empty.

What i can say is we had some serious wind, some trucks passed and although i could feel them i must say that there has been some good improvement. I still have sway but its not the fish tail sway of before, its almost acceptable. I also slowed down to 65. I travel again on Sunday - going to drop the air in the bags a little more and pack more "stuff" on the axle and forward of the axle.

PS : I have another issue now thats crept in and thats when i`m towing the TT my steering (TV) is pulling to one side, almost as if my alignment needs to be done. It was done prior to me leaving on vacation. This is a new issue and only happened since the changes i made to the WDH etc. When i remove the TT the TV runs straight, no more "pulling to one side".

Here is a pic of the TT after my last set of adjustments.

So - wha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	114680  
Old 07-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #65

Looks pretty dang straight now. Your bars are pointed a little more upward than is recommended (generally should be in line with the frame or slightly downward), but not much. Of course, that may just be the angle of the camera. If they're actually pointed upward, I'd tilt the head back one more notch and lower the brackets one notch and remeasure. It takes a little playing with it to get it right.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #66

This is probably a dumb question, however, I'll take a chance an throw it out. Are you sure that since you were traveling with a strong wind, that the wind blowing against the side of the trailer didn't cause the steering issue with your TV? I find that when the winds hitting me from the side, the steering in my truck needs to compensate for the 'torque" being placed on the trailer since it's being pushed to one side.
I also agree, from the picture, your bars look to be too tight. The general rule is parallel with the tongue. Mine are a bit less than totally parallel, however, I'm using a different WDH than you. Good luck, keep after it, your getting there!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Looks pretty dang straight now. Your bars are pointed a little more upward than is recommended (generally should be in line with the frame or slightly downward), but not much. Of course, that may just be the angle of the camera. If they're actually pointed upward, I'd tilt the head back one more notch and lower the brackets one notch and remeasure. It takes a little playing with it to get it right.

^ This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
^ This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+2
Looks alot better and agree on the bars being too high

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #69

Wow, there should be enough conflicting advice here to confuse anyone!

Just look up the setup instructions for your WDH on the internet and work through the process. If you're not happy with the results then consider an alternative. But I suspect you will like what you have once it is set up properly.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
PS : I have another issue now thats crept in and thats when i`m towing the TT my steering (TV) is pulling to one side, almost as if my alignment needs to be done. It was done prior to me leaving on vacation. This is a new issue and only happened since the changes i made to the WDH etc. When i remove the TT the TV runs straight, no more "pulling to one side".
I missed this earlier. What I suspect is happening is that, now that you're closer to being adjusted properly, truck and trailer are acting more as one unit. A constant wind on the side of a trailer that isn't swaying will tend to push you to one side. What may feel like sway at this point may be wind gusts pushing your whole rig to the side. Flex in the rear tires could amplify that feeling, which can be minimized by going to a heavier tire...not something that HAS to be done, just something to think about the next time you change tires. I think that, before, your trailer was swaying and absorbing the wind. Now, it's not swaying and you're feeling it up front. Just takes some getting used to.

What'll really surprise you is getting used to a strong crosswind and having a big rig pass you in the other direction breaking the wind. I had a 20 mph wind directly on my side when that happened to me. Whole rig shifted about a foot suddenly and the turbulence nearly knocked off a tow mirror....not fun.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post

a
You had the alignment with no weight in the truck.
You need to have it aligned by someone that knows RV setups.
Tell him that you usually tow with "X" weight on the rear and load equalizers putting "X" weight on the front.
Weighing it when you get it set up correctly will help.
He can set you caster accordingly.

The load bars are putting more weight on the ft axle changing the caster most likely. You probably need less caster in the right front (or more in the left ft) to accommodate the loads.
Also check tire pressures.
If it is a minor "pull" sometimes just adding a few lbs more pressure to the rt ft will help- the road crown also exagerates the issues. Weight is shifting more with the load and the road crown.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #72

Prob alignment roads in Pa have a crown for water run off so much my bike tires wear more on the left side vs right. Check to make sure trailer wheels are all free turning.
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #73

My buddy dealt with this crap for a year, using one then 2 friction anti sways and still white knuckled on the trips.

He finally went to the new Husky Centerline TS WDH. WORLDS BETTER. You don't need any extra away control. It is all built in and I'm amazed how well it works. That 32ft trailer is rock solid now in 99% of all situations. He went with the 1200lb bars/12k setup even though his trailer is about 8500lbs. Room to grow. Found it on amazon for $367 shipped. Worth every penny. May want to look into it.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #74

The Equal-I-Zer hitch does a great job.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470353019.438819.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	116321