Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

I recently got a nail in my passenger rear tire ( dual axels) and was wondering what it the best / safest place for a tire jack. Behind the tire on the frame or under the suspension/ axle connection.
Turtle people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle people View Post
I recently got a nail in my passenger rear tire ( dual axels) and was wondering what it the best / safest place for a tire jack. Behind the tire on the frame or under the suspension/ axle connection.
Between the tires on the suspension framework. DO NOT JACK ON THE AXLES. OR get a trailer tire ramp and forget the jack.

This one I made, but you can buy them at CW.
Trailer-Aid - Camco RV TRAILER AID - Towing Accessories - Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00294.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	33554  
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:

I jack on the frame, not sure if you can.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Always Learning

I asked this same question a month or two ago and here's the summary of the long thread:

Quote:
- Don't ever jack on the frame - you can damage it. You should jack on the axle.

- Don't ever jack on the axle - you can damage it. You should jack on the frame.
No, seriously - that's essentially what the thread came down to.

I finally chose to jack on the axle as close to the u-bolts as possible. I was at home and bought/used a floor jack for it.

My reasoning was that there is 25" between the ground and the bottom of the frame on my fifth wheel. To get a jack up that high, it would have to be on a rickety pile of wood stacked 10" high. I just didn't feel confident in that.

I did try a ramp out of Lynx blocks with marginal success:
Tire Woes blog entry

It worked for the first tire that I had to change, but after that one - I tried it on the other side and my blocks kept slipping. The ramp that OldCoot made (very similar to a ready-made product) should work pretty well.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I asked this same question a month or two ago and here's the summary of the long thread:

No, seriously - that's essentially what the thread came down to.

I finally chose to jack on the axle as close to the u-bolts as possible. I was at home and bought/used a floor jack for it.

My reasoning was that there is 25" between the ground and the bottom of the frame on my fifth wheel. To get a jack up that high, it would have to be on a rickety pile of wood stacked 10" high. I just didn't feel confident in that.

I did try a ramp out of Lynx blocks with marginal success:
Tire Woes blog entry

It worked for the first tire that I had to change, but after that one - I tried it on the other side and my blocks kept slipping. The ramp that OldCoot made (very similar to a ready-made product) should work pretty well.
I agree there are mixed reviews on how to do this. I think it comes down to distributing weight. When I use the frame I use two bottle jack one in front of the front axle and one behind the rear axle and jack each slowly. Have been doing it this way for 20 years and on 3 trailers. Using only one jack especially on the axle components can over load the axle part. But if you use two jacks under each axle and jack them equally you do not run risk of over loading the axle. Using the frame has to be done if you need to change shackles or other axle components. But I still believe it comes down to distributing the weight as much as possible.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
I agree there are mixed reviews on how to do this. I think it comes down to distributing weight. When I use the frame I use two bottle jack one in front of the front axle and one behind the rear axle and jack each slowly. Have been doing it this way for 20 years and on 3 trailers. Using only one jack especially on the axle components can over load the axle part. But if you use two jacks under each axle and jack them equally you do not run risk of over loading the axle. Using the frame has to be done if you need to change shackles or other axle components. But I still believe it comes down to distributing the weight as much as possible.
If it has torsion axles, it is bad to jack on the axles regardless of how many jacks you use. The tubes are thin and contain rubber cords that will be damaged. If you insist on jacking up a trailer with torsion axles, you must jack on the suspension framework and not the trailer frame itself or the axles. Spring suspension is a whole different ballgame.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it has torsion axles, it is bad to jack on the axles regardless of how many jacks you use. The tubes are thin and contain rubber cords that will be damaged. If you insist on jacking up a trailer with torsion axles, you must jack on the suspension framework and not the trailer frame itself or the axles. Spring suspension is a whole different ballgame.

totally agree that is what complicates these discussions everyone has different trailers.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Between the tires on the suspension framework. DO NOT JACK ON THE AXLES. OR get a trailer tire ramp and forget the jack.

This one I made, but you can buy them at CW.
Trailer-Aid - Camco RV TRAILER AID - Towing Accessories - Camping World
I'm planning of making one of these as well. Just wondering what the height is at the back and in the center of the wheel well.....
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #9

I do have spring suspension ( leafs )

So no to the I beam frame the trailer rides on? I like the idea of using 2 jacks to distribute the weight.
Pictures of where to place would be Great. I am still new to this and the last thing I want is a bent frame.
Turtle people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman7 View Post
I'm planning of making one of these as well. Just wondering what the height is at the back and in the center of the wheel well.....
Here's a set of posts where he took pictures and whatnot:
Posts of OldCoot's TrailerAid knock-off
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Here's a sketch of what I made. BTW, I took the measurements from one at a trailer parts dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Tire Ramp.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	33559  
Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

Quote:
I do have spring suspension ( leafs )

So no to the I beam frame the trailer rides on? I like the idea of using 2 jacks to distribute the weight.
Pictures of where to place would be Great. I am still new to this and the last thing I want is a bent frame.
Here is how I do it one jack in the back and one in the front of the front axle. This picture is not my trailer but shows two in the back. I usually do one side of the trailer at a time

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Here is how I do it one jack in the back and one in the front of the front axle. This picture is not my trailer but shows two in the back. I usually do one side of the trailer at a time...
Big difference, that trailer has a structural I beam, not a flimsy fabricated one like the lite wt trailers have.