Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

TT wheel bearing temps

We tow a 2011 Mini-Lite 2304 with a 2011 Ram and the combination seems to be well suited. We are well with in all the weight limits (except maybe the trucks payload limit that we "might" push a tad). The question we have is about TT wheel bearing temps. We have noted that the left bearings/hubs seem to run about 10 degrees hotter than the right ones. We haven't weighed the left/right side individually but because most of the major appliances are on the left side it stands to reason the left side will be significantly heavier. The run temps after each 2 hour highway leg averaged left side 110 & 112 degrees and the right side 100 & 95 degrees. The ambient temp was in the low 70's with not a lot of sun concentrated on one side or the other, so there fore the sun would not be a factor. The tires are 205/75-14 ST's (c rated) at 50 psi cold, our speed was constant through-out at 60 MPH with cruise ON.
Because of the 2304's floor plan, there is little we can do to get any significant weight to the right side to balance the port/starb'd load. So, is running 10ish degrees hotter going to be a problem.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

I assume you are using point and shoot heat gun to get these numbers?

What are you aiming at? Sure you are getting the bearing temp?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I assume you are using point and shoot heat gun to get these numbers?

What are you aiming at? Sure you are getting the bearing temp?
using one of those laser temp guns and aiming at the hub through the gaps in the aluminum wheels.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

so what you are really getting is the hub temp, which is probably mostly brake heat anyway.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #5

Take my word for it, I'm no expert or claim to be one. I bought one of the red dot temp meters as people recommended on this site. Every time I stop I shoot the tires on my TV and the hub and also tires and hubs on my TT. If I'm in 10 degree's different I call it good. Saying that I still had a blow out, but it was not from heating up. The only thing that I can think of is that your break shoe might be a little tighter on that side. I also shoot the asphalt temp. I have asked many times what should the temps of the tires be, what should the hub temp be? The dealer who I really likes and bends over backwards to help me with my stupid question says they really have no idea but said if you are with in the 10 degrees as stated they do not see a problem. I really do not think anyone can tell you what the temps should be. So I just use the 10 degrees between the the 2 and call it good. Now with that said let's see what info maybe some others on the forum say. I have always wondered that myself........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

I was just talking to my rv mechanic about this same subject. Here's what I told him: I use my laser temp gun to measure the bearing temps, on the actual hub, where it sticks thru the wheel. Generally I'll get a reading within 8-10 degrees of each other, and a rise of 20-30 above ambient. What do you think.

His reply: I just walk around and feel the hubs with the back of my hand. if one feels a lot hotter than the others, its gonna be a problem. Usually it's only one bearing at a time that fails.

My take, I'm still gonna use the laser gun to keep my hands clean. If one bearing is significantly hotter, time for a phone call to the mechanic.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

Re: tt bearing temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
I was just talking to my rv mechanic about this same subject. Here's what I told him: I use my laser temp gun to measure the bearing temps, on the actual hub, where it sticks thru the wheel. Generally I'll get a reading within 8-10 degrees of each other, and a rise of 20-30 above ambient. What do you think.

His reply: I just walk around and feel the hubs with the back of my hand. if one feels a lot hotter than the others, its gonna be a problem. Usually it's only one bearing at a time that fails.

My take, I'm still gonna use the laser gun to keep my hands clean. If one bearing is significantly hotter, time for a phone call to the mechanic.
I use to use the back of the hand also, then with the aluminum wheels I progressed to the stretch the finger through the wheel slots. Seemed to work but hated the dirt. That's why the laser gun's in the truck. Anyway, the comments seem to lean to "not to worry too much about it", I'm inclined to just leave things alone and worry about important things like why dealers don't balance or rotate the tires on tt's when they service them in the spring. When I get the tv serviced it's part of the service, or whether it is best to lube the torsion bar sockets or just clean them up and leave dry. I guess I have too much time waiting for the snow to leave to get the season started.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post

As has been noted in this thread as well, one hub being significantly hotter could just as easily be a misadjusted brake. We had that situation on the way to Indiana last summer, a quick readjustment in the parking lot of the gas station we were at and all was good. Brake heat does not take long to soak through a hub after stopping.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #9

re: bearing temps

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to the question. I always had that nagging thing in the back of the mind that wondered, "what if!!!".
When the trailer makes it's way to the dealer for it's spring "spruce-up" the bearings and brakes will be "tended to" and we'll take another set of readings when we head off to explore some more places. With luck things will improve or at worst stay the same.
Again, thanks to all.