Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #1

Tundra

Just FYI for 2006 Toyota Tundra w/4.7 V8 owners. I have that vehicle and used it to tow our new Flagstaff 26 RLS on our maiden voyage. Although the trip was not that far, approx. 70 each way........the truck pulled just fine!

The trip did include both rural roads and Interstate (approx. 40 miles on the Interstate each way). I drove at 65 mph with a RPM of 2800. In drive w/ OD off. Again no problems and things felt smooth.

We use the Equalizer brand hitch and the prodigy brake control.

We are in Florida (flat lands) But the truck / trailer combo worked well together!

Just wanted to share our experience with those who might be looking at similiar TV / TT combos!
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #2

06 dc

I use to tow a 08 21ss towed great.I just towed my 2011 rockwood 2304s back from ohio tows this trailer fine to.06 toyota dc.
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #3

Mine is also the DC.......you have a 2011 ??? So my 2010 is old already ?? JK

Where are you towing (State) ?

I'm pretty sure I'll keep my current set-up here in the south (flat lands).
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

Do these truck have a transmission temp gauge or a trans cooler if not may be a good idea to add these to your truck
Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #5

06 toyota tundra dc

Mine has tow package includes transmission cooler.I tow in nh. vt .ny and ma.in the moutains. No problem at all.I just towed it back from ohio rv wholesalers 900 miles one way.Yes my rockwood 2304s ultra lite is a 2011.
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #6

Ohio RV Wholesalers

Who is this?
Old 05-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Who is who?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #8

My 07 Tundra 4X4 DC LB 5.7V8 W/ARE MX Cap

My 07 Tundra had no problem towing the new Surveyor which weighs around 5 to 6k [I haven't weighed it yet]. Towed from Hamilton Ohio through KY and TN back to Charlotte area of NC. Averaged 10.5 MPG. Power was never an issue. I use 5th gear while towing [s-mode] - easy to downshift going down old fort mountain.
I've towed with a F350 4X4 Lariat 6.0 and the Tundra tows as well or better, rides much better, uses lower price fuel and gets equal MPGs. The Tundra got 19 MPG loaded with camping gear on the trip up to Ohio.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #9

I'm getting ready to tow my 2010 Rockwood 2701SS for the first time this weekend with my 2004 Tundra Double Cab. I wish I had the 5.4 instead of the 4.7, but I think it will do just fine. We will have a few long, steep grades along the way that my be a little tough, but we'll just take it slow and easy! Steeljag appears to have a similar situp (with similar weight trailer), so reading that you didn't have any problems makes me feel much better!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #10

I use my 2004 Tundra with 4.7 engine to tow my 2006 2701SS and it does a GREAT job...Same set-up...in drive with OD off. I routinely pull it through the mountains of WV and Western Virginia (near Luray) with no problem whatsoever.

Vehicle rated at 7300 pounds, trailer fully loaded (but dry) at 6900. No sweat.
masonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #11

Thanks Masonga.
I've received a great deal of information on this forum concerning the purchase of our trailer as well as with my towing concerns. I'm looking forward to getting on the road this weekend and seeing exactly how it goes!
I assume with the 7300 pound rating you have, that you have the access cab?? I have the Double Cab which is rated anywhere between 6800 and 7000 lbs, depending on what you read! I'm going with what is in the manual, so 7000 lbs it is! I'll be weighing the trailer on the way out of town, but I think we are going to be in the 5800 lb range. No problem getting near the maximum tow rating. Where I'm getting close is the gross combined weight!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #12

Yes, access cab, AND also depends on where you read. My owners manual says 7300, and it DOES come close on the gross combined weight. I have never stopped to weigh the set-up...always in a hurry to GET CAMPING...lol. Do I just stop at a truck weigh station for weighing, and do I include the truck on the scale?
masonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #13

I have a CAT scale just down the road from me, so it's pretty easy for me to stop for a weigh. Around here, it costs $9 to weigh. I'm pretty picky when it comes to the numbers, so I have done a lot of weighing. At first I weighed the truck with a full tank of gas and me, then I added to that the weight of the rest of the family and what stuff would be put in the back for a camping trip. That got me my GVW. That also determined, based on what was left from my GCVW, how much trailer I should be looking for. After that decision was made and we picked it up last week, I went back and did a combined weighing, putting the trailer axles on one scale and the front and back axles of the truck on the other two scales. That gave me my combined weight as well as my axle weights with the WD hitch attached.
This next time I think that I will get the combined weight again with the camper loaded for camping and us in the truck, then I'll go back around and get the trailer weight by itself by unhooking the trailer on the scale. If you do a re-weigh within 24 hours they only charge a dollar.
For me, it is money well spent to know that I fall within my tow limits. In case of an accident I want to do as much as I can, and document it, to keep as much liability off of me as I can. It's kind of that 'measure twice, cut once' mentality!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #14

Well we returned from our first trip pulling the 2701SS with the Tundra and things went pretty good. I stopped by the CAT scales on the way out of town since we loaded it with everything we think we will have for each trip we take. All of the numbers came in a little closer to the max numbers than I would have liked, but at least they were all below!
With the WD Hitch in place, my truck GVW was 6380 (Max. 6600); steer axle: 2880 (max. 3500); drive axle: 3500 (max. 3760); Gross Combined Weight: 11720 (max. 11800). I would prefer a larger margin on all of those!
But that being said, the 04 Tundra Dbl Cab w/4.7 iForce engine and 4.10 rear did a pretty good job of pulling. Ran about 3200 rpm's running 65mph most of the way, jumping to 4300 rpm going up about five long, steep grades and dropping down to about 55mph. I averaged about 9.2 mpg, which is much better than I was expecting!
Although I couldn't see it in the mirror, there was definite sway when being passed by vehicles. Not even big trucks...all vehicles in general! I think part of the problem is that I didn't have the sway control tightened down enough. I adjusted it during a fuel-up and it seemed to do better. I read somewhere on this forum that a trailer this long probably should have two friction sway control bars. I think I will opt for getting another. Luckily we didn't have much wind to deal with. Of course, all of that 'sway' feeling could have been in my head since this was the first time pulling something this long and heavy and me thinking that every little 'thing' was because of the truck/trailer combo!!
I know most of this info probably doesn't excite most of you, but I thought that I'd include it in case someone out there has a similar setup. I know Masonga and Steeljag are similar.

Tags
tundra