Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Tundra Chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMDOWN View Post
Great story you'll love your 8289WS we do and pull it with a 2013 Tundra with absolutely no problems
HAMMDOWN and anyone else. We bought a 2013 Wildwood Heritage Glen fiver, new. At the time, supposed to be half ton towable (so my dealer claimed) by my 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 double cab short bed. Yup, hook line and sinker they got me. Long story, but anyway, ended up adding an 04 F-350 diesel dually TV to the fleet for the HG, before I even brought the fiver home. We still love that floor plan. I saw your quote about the 8289ws (and the Tundra TV) and checked it out on line. Looks perfect. Are considering bailing out of the HG and F-350 for the 8289ws with my Tundra as TV. 8289ws Looks "pretty iffy" on weights though. I heard Toyota de-rated 2010 tundra down from 10,300 lbs to ???lbs. My dually is a major PITA and would simplify my life if the Tundra can do the job pulling the 8289ws. Do you tow full time, hills, mountains, etc? We do less than 10K miles / year but might do more with a reliable simplified rig. Thanks.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

Well first off I still have to work so
#1 no full to full time RVing
#2 My very first trip with my camper we went to the Cleveland area in Early April woke up on Sunday morning to 3" snow and looking at a 35mph head wind let me tell you I was worried but just kept it a steady 65
#3 My 2nd trip out in late April was from NW Ohio to the Fl. Pan Handle and back in 10 days with a stop over in the Smokies on the way back. My 5.7 380HP Tundra had no problem mind you having the brake controller set properly is the key to a perfect trip.
The only modification that I have done is add Firestone air bags but that was not truly necessary. I love it. I wish for two things.
1) Bigger fuel tank in the Tundra
2) Better gas mileage 9 towing -14 regular driving.
Now if Toyota would bring out a 3/4 or a 1 ton in a diesel I would probably buy one but then I would just buy a bigger 5th wheel. Wished a Hino looked better. Going to Detroit auto show this weekend maybe they have something working Nissan did. Long story short your Tundra will pull a 8289WS.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Thanks HAMMDOWN and all.
Good feedback on the Tundra and 8289ws. I was getting 11 to 12 mpg pulling my previous 8000 lb TT, 17 mpg highway, empty. So your right on, about the gas tank size/range. 9 mpg seems to indicate your Tundra was working hard to pull the fiver (sounds right), but they are workhorses. We will be taking a second hard look at making the switch to the 8289ws but Rockwood website now indicates combined UVW 8866 lbs and CCC 1554 lbs puts the total at 10,400 lbs. I need to look at one of these guy's yellow weight stickers.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
Thanks HAMMDOWN and all.
Good feedback on the Tundra and 8289ws. I was getting 11 to 12 mpg pulling my previous 8000 lb TT, 17 mpg highway, empty. So your right on, about the gas tank size/range. 9 mpg seems to indicate your Tundra was working hard to pull the fiver (sounds right), but they are workhorses. We will be taking a second hard look at making the switch to the 8289ws but Rockwood website now indicates combined UVW 8866 lbs and CCC 1554 lbs puts the total at 10,400 lbs. I need to look at one of these guy's yellow weight stickers.
Probably going to have to move this but I gotta say the Tundra payload is around 1495 lbs.. You're right it will pull it but you're probably going to be over on payload. That's the only reason I traded my 2015 Toyota Tundra. Loved that truck.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cle-12052.html
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote