Old 05-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefussells View Post
We are considering purchasing a Tundra to tow an r-pod 177. Do any of you know if that requires a sway/control hitch?
Depends on the tundra model, engine, capabilities, and the weights on the rpod.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by howshow View Post
well i have p2 Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90885

i have a WDH and i am adding a TRD sway bar next week, i was also thinking of adding some new front and rear shocks

Bilstein HD Shocks - Best Price on Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty Shocks
You'll be ok with the P2, but the P3 is far superior. There will be a difference in stoping control.

You'll like the TRD sway. Noticeable cornering and sway control.

I put Bilstein rear shocks on mine after I blew a stock shock. That happened while towing over a "bouncy" highway. I always take it easy on that particular stretch as a weird "resonance frequency" bounce starts if over 45 mph. Only happens when pulling the trailer. Funny thing is that it won't stop until my speed drops below 35 mph but won't start unless over 45. Anyway, I forgot about it and hit it about 65 mph and couldn't get slowed down fast enough. Thought I was gonna break the frame or hitch. Saw the leaky shock a little later when we stopped for fuel. The Bilstein shocks help a little with that bounce. They really make the truck ride stiff.

One other thing that you might consider is getting a LT type tires for your Tundra. I used the stock P tires until they were shot then upgraded. That made a huge stability/control improvement.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #33

hey rpaspey, wow that doesn't sound like it would be fun having the thought you might have cracked the frame/hitch!

I am currently running after market XD monster rims, with Toyo open country MTs @ 35"-12.50-R18 with a +18 off set so i think the tires are going to be ok even though they are on there last few months now, i am looking at getting the Toyo Open Country A/T II Xtreme in a size 33" now.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by howshow View Post
hey rpaspey, wow that doesn't sound like it would be fun having the thought you might have cracked the frame/hitch!

I am currently running after market XD monster rims, with Toyo open country MTs @ 35"-12.50-R18 with a +18 off set so i think the tires are going to be ok even though they are on there last few months now, i am looking at getting the Toyo Open Country A/T II Xtreme in a size 33" now.
I'm not an expert, even remotely, on tires. But those sound like big tires!

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.

Tags
towing, tundra