Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

Tune Programmer or not?

I know this is a touchy subject...but I have been encouraged to procure a tow vehicle programmer for my 2008 Ford F-250 (5.4L/TorqShift/3.73).

I tow a Rockwood 2608WS (6,000lb) and it handles well. When I complain to my colleagues about the frequent highway gear shifting (In Tow/Haul) , I am told to let it rev or get a programmer to improve the torque (and therefore the shifting).

My Ford cohort says the DiabloSport I-1000 would do wonders for my performance.

I know y'all are purists and will express much concern about my warranty, but the warranty is about to end.

So, beat me up and tell me like it is...TacBear
TacBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

I think the word wonders and a programmer should not be used together with a gas engined vehicle. On a turbo diesel they work very well. I know I have a Hemi dodge 2500 and purchased a Superchip programmer and IMO it was a complete waste of $335.00 as yes it did make the truck a bit better power wise and shift firmer but when towing this summer on our 4000 mile road trip my mileage went down and I had to use 91 octane vs the 89 I can usually burn and when the cruise is on the truck has a much larger range the computer allowed the speed to drop before the tranny would downshift which I think is actually harder on the tranny than more shifting as it will cause the tranny to heat up when it is dragged down like that and heat is what kills auto trannys. I would say go put 4.10's in your truck and you will be much happier. That is just my opinion based on my programmer experience and I will never waste that money again on any brand of tuner.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

Yeah, I think I've already seen how this will go. For the record I'm very happy with my Edge tuner both from a power standpoint and instrumentation. It's nice to be able to get alerts for customized settings.

I am also sorry for whoever I've offended:-)
n2_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

ran an edge cts on my old 5.4 150.....it was nice...gave all the engine operating parameters and such...it did help but when i was towing about 6700lbs it was WORKING!! especially in the hills or into headwind...it would try and upshift, but keep downshifting ....tuner or not.....and also my tranny temp warning would keep going off with a tune even on the lowest setting while towing...

i run the diablosport tuner on my 03 cobra with a custom tune..598rwhp....has 60k on the clock and not a single issue to speak of...

i run the minimaxx tuner on my 250 with the dpf/def ON tune...nice little bump there too....no issues so far....

in the end they all the diff tuners i have used were good...i preferr the ones with a color screen now.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #5

I would check out 5 Star Tunes...the SCT tuner worked wonders for my V-10. Mike @ 5 Star is a great guy to work with.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote