Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #31
Incheon, S. Korea

That's crazy. Why all the white smoke?
It always seems like they hit these peak HP numbers for just a second and then back off. Why? Is that normal? I have to presume they haven't done much to the bottom end, or have they?

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
as long as it doesn't catch on fire. Big$$$$$ to play like that with those trucks.

But like they say "if you cant run with the big dogs, stay on the porch" It is comfortable up here though.

A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
That's crazy. Why all the white smoke?
It always seems like they hit these peak HP numbers for just a second and then back off. Why? Is that normal? I have to presume they haven't done much to the bottom end, or have they?
that motor blew up, hence the white smoke and fluid running out of the bottom end, and yes the bottom ends are fully built, 4 bolt,cross drilled,girdled,half filled, rods, pistons, everything is 10X stronger then stock, and cost upwards of 20k just for the lower end

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #34

Wow always thought the rewards were given for -sustained horsepower delivery- eh. From the 1/4 mile to the 24 hours at Le Mans?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Wow always thought the rewards were given for -sustained horsepower delivery- eh. From the 1/4 mile to the 24 hours at Le Mans?
improvements are incremental and costly, the truck had no more than 397 bhp (296 kW) @3000 stock, and likely not that much because it is an older one. dunno the details of his build. So IMHO it is the cost of progress. BUT not in my budget.. I like stock, to slightly modified. i played around with gas engines enough in the past that i am content with a strong stock setup. like i have mentioned before I just wanna pull my camper with no dramma. And that is exactly what my dirty max does. But i cant help but watch these guys play with the diesels. i remember 20 years ago, people starting to play with diesels and thinking WHAAAAT, they will never get anywhere, now they are ridiculously strong and durable, but not when you push it like these tip of the sword guys do.
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
improvements are incremental and costly, the truck had no more than 397 bhp (296 kW) @3000 stock, and likely not that much because it is an older one. dunno the details of his build.
his block is a LB7, factory rated 235hp@3100 model year 2001. Most LB7 guys make the most HP levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
you never been to any dyno event have you?? all power attained is at peak, never sitting at max rpm for any length of time, the manuf`s test the same way, my buddy used to work in the engine shop and dyno room at Roush.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #37
Incheon, S. Korea

jevanb - So that guy is out $20K+ for one dyno run?
Genius, pure genius... LOL
I wonder what let go. It would be fun to see pics of the aftermath!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #38

Most of us aren't like those guys. Most of us like to use our trucks for everything so we build them to do the work for years.

This is the way I like to go. Hook it to a sled one weekend, take the family camping the next then run it down to the drags the following weekend...........

2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
Most of us aren't like those guys. Most of us like to use our trucks for everything so we build them to do the work for years.

This is the way I like to go. Hook it to a sled one weekend, take the family camping the next then run it down to the drags the following weekend...........

true so true... never been down a dirt track but would like to, but if the truck broke doing that I would be pissed at myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
jevanb - So that guy is out $20K+ for one dyno run?
Genius, pure genius... LOL
I wonder what let go. It would be fun to see pics of the aftermath!
he is a professional racer and puller, I bet he has put many motors in that truck, most of them guys get their parts for free. no different then pro motorcycle, drag car, just doing it for the prize money and bragging rites

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
LOL! You say that....... I started out running mine on the 50 hp tune. I'm now running on the 140 hp tune. As soon as I get the coin to get my trans built I will probably turn it up a little more. You don't have to use it, but if you can make the max hp that you have now at half the RPM then it makes towing that muck more relaxing.
Well SCT flat out says they do not recommend towing heavy on any higher tunes. I know some guys that have, but really I dont see the point. He spent a lot of money to make sure the truck can handle the stresses of the higher power under tow, but in the end we both go down the highway at the same speed, I get 2mpg more then him and the right front of my trailer is not covered in soot when I arrive.