Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Tuners and Engine Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve09 View Post
nice upgrade, just make sure you add a filter to the coolant and or delete the entire EGR system, if these things have not been done please do not come back and say you wasted your money on this piece.....

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post

nice upgrade, just make sure you add a filter to the coolant and or delete the entire EGR system, if these things have not been done please do not come back and say you wasted your money on this piece.....
Yep, that's something I still need to do to mine as well.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Incheon, S. Korea

Someone on another forum talked about sneaking in freeze plugs to block off the EGR coolant. It looks stock and eliminates the chance of coolant getting in the mix... He's a 6.0 expert of sorts, and very good with 7.3s too. Any of you ever look at that option?

@wilem - that is one sweet rig! I like!!! You have good taste in toys, too.

@Steve09 - that engine in that small truck? Yikes! You'll be able to pull buildings off of their foundations!

@LSUTiger - Shiny!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsfla View Post
Great Tow Rig for the 5r
I just traded my 6.4L but loved the daylights out of the truck. They are "beasts" at towing. Mine wasn't tuned as it had lots of warranty left, but rode in several tuned trucks! They ROCK! Enjoy!!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
I just traded my 6.4L but loved the daylights out of the truck. They are "beasts" at towing. Mine wasn't tuned as it had lots of warranty left, but rode in several tuned trucks! They ROCK! Enjoy!!

yeah the tuned trucks have so much power its almost stupid. if you ever do tune one watch out, they can flow enough fuel to liquid lock and break rods. sounds unbelievable i know but i witnessed it a few weeks ago.
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
yeah the tuned trucks have so much power its almost stupid. if you ever do tune one watch out, they can flow enough fuel to liquid lock and break rods. sounds unbelievable i know but i witnessed it a few weeks ago.
never heard that one.. been around tuned trucks for the last 7 years, did many myself, even worked a pulling truck with 1800hp and many 1000hp p pumped dodges with 13mm P7100 putting out 800+ccs of fuel at any rpm. more then any ECM tuned could ever dump even with a hung injector

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #7

For some reason some of the Fords have been known to have an injector stick and hydro-lock the cylinder, bending the rods. We've had a couple in the EMS field around here do exactly that.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
never heard that one.. been around tuned trucks for the last 7 years, did many myself, even worked a pulling truck with 1800hp and many 1000hp p pumped dodges with 13mm P7100 putting out 800+ccs of fuel at any rpm. more then any ECM tuned could ever dump even with a hung injector
I am not a diesel guy at all, I do have a new GMC duramax and was thinking of a programmer. So i was discussing it at lunch with the service manager at the dealership because we have been friends for 12 years or so. They have actually installed aftermarket hop ups for customers.The vehicle in question was a duramax,(2007 or 8) that had some repairs made. I don't know to what extent the repairs were, pretty sure It did get and injection pump and had some timing issue. repairs were made, test drive completed but on the last leg of the drive the technician floored the truck from a dead stop and it broke rods from what i was told. I could find out more details I suppose but that is somewhat irrelevant. We will never know exactly what happened, I would tend to think that if it were a programmer induced problem we would see a lot more of them.I do know that programmer in question had three different modes, one just for making a lot of smoke. when tech assist was called the Manufacturer requested a download from the computer to view "programmer history" which I should say has permanently changed any aftermarket mods done there now.
A&P
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Thats rough for that guy.
I know that at our dealership if any programs are shown in the history, warranty will cover nothing.
Besides epa cracking down on non epa approved modifications ( even on gas engines converted to cng) we have even seen some ecms and other modules getting fried from incorrect programer installs/downloads and or the backing out or removal of the program install. Ive had one tech tell me he cooked an ecm on a factory re-flash when the internet connection had an interruption. One guy was going to be out about $2300-2800+ labor and programming to replace an ecm he lost in a programmer install.
-u wont hear this stuff from the programmer guys.
--sorry for continuing the hijack
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Thats rough for that guy.
I know that at our dealership if any programs are shown in the history, warranty will cover nothing.
Besides epa cracking down on non epa approved modifications ( even on gas engines converted to cng) we have even seen some ecms and other modules getting fried from incorrect programer installs/downloads and or the backing out or removal of the program install. Ive had one tech tell me he cooked an ecm on a factory re-flash when the internet connection had an interruption. One guy was going to be out about $2300-2800+ labor and programming to replace an ecm he lost in a programmer install.
If Your going to tune a 6.4L Ford, go the Spartan Tuner route. & get a mod friendly dealer. The Sparten Tuner ( Ford Racing) does not leave a footprint. Do not go crazy on the tune for towing, I use the 210 tow tune with great results, gets you close to 500hp at the rear wheel.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

@wilem - do you mind if I use your rig for my home page pic?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
One guy was going to be out about $2300-2800+ labor and programming to replace an ecm he lost in a programmer install.
I can get factory ECM`s for $350.00 plus 150 core all day, with tunes or with factory tuning. dealership are a rip off and they know nothing about how a tuned truck should run. they might have factory training, but most know nothing about performance. where do you think the engineers get their data from when they keep on raising the levels of our trucks??? surely not from their experience on breaking parts and making them last on the track. Just ask any 6.0 owner that had the factory fix their issues. LOL .

Quote:
thinking of a programmer.
the only safe programing for the duramax is EFI live, period, from a tuner that know what he is doing. IMO. because I have ran both and have lots of friends with tuned ECM`s

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 10-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
I can get factory ECM`s for $350.00 plus 150 core all day, with tunes or with factory tuning. dealership are a rip off and they know nothing about how a tuned truck should run. they might have factory training, but most know nothing about performance. where do you think the engineers get their data from when they keep on raising the levels of our trucks??? surely not from their experience on breaking parts and making them last on the track. Just ask any 6.0 owner that had the factory fix their issues. LOL .

the only safe programing for the duramax is EFI live, period, from a tuner that know what he is doing. IMO. because I have ran both and have lots of friends with tuned ECM`s
X2...big difference in a Factory Tech & Performance Tech information...as I have found during my great ride with EFI Live & my discussions with Diesel Performance shop Owners who are current & past sled/race track competitors ,)

Old 10-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

It was on a 1st gen d-max. 01-03 I believe. I believe those are a bit pricier than later models.
- on new oe ecms there is no core at least from the gm dealers ive worked for.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #15

I'm thinking a cold air intake will be enough for now, I might go with a chip if I find I need it with a bigger trailer than what I have.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
@wilem - do you mind if I use your rig for my home page pic?
Not at all, go right ahead.
A&P
Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I'm thinking a cold air intake will be enough for now, I might go with a chip if I find I need it with a bigger trailer than what I have.
You'll be plenty fine stock for what you're doing now...but as you get the itch for a little performance, the list is endless...enjoy!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:

I have ridden In a few and driven one duramax with a programmer.. All I can say is holy crap that's a lot of power. Not sure what brand it is but I'll see the next time my buddy comes over. Truck felt like my 426 hp camaro. But then torque does that doesn't it? :-))
A&P
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
I have ridden In a few and driven one duramax with a programmer.. All I can say is holy crap that's a lot of power. Not sure what brand it is but I'll see the next time my buddy comes over. Truck felt like my 426 hp camaro. But then torque does that doesn't it? :-))
I have 540/1033 at my wheels and yes it can push you back pretty far, I am running out of fuel and as soon as I get that taken care of I should be at 700HP. just hope the lower end can hold out. buddy at work has a 24v p-pumped dodge twined putting out 900hp runs the 1/4 in 11.3 . now that is fast, he is thinking about n20 to hit 1200 and put his times into the low 10`s

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 10-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Camper Less Camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2092247574.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	42113