Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

turn overdrive on for the flats 65mph?

Howdy,

I'm going to get a FR 5th wheel trailer out of state with my stock 04 3500 Silverado dually 4x4. Trailer dry weight is about 14,000 lbs. Should I turn overdrive on the flat portions of the trip home to save fuel at 65mph?

Is there a trade off between fuel economy and transmission life?

Thank you.

stew
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

I guess it depends on if your vehicle can hold overdrive on flat ground at 65mph while towing 14k. If you find the transmission hunting around and not staying in one gear it would be better shift it down a notch. You didn't say gas or diesel or how many gears your tranny has but that also will make a difference. My six speed can get into six gear while towing but drops to fifth at the slightest grade. I just leave it in fifth all the time while towing and save it the trouble.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post

Thank you.

stew
Forgot this part. For me, I would always choose transmission life over fuel economy, bad fuel economy won't leave you stranded on the side of the road. Unless you run the tank dry that is
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Howdy,

I'm going to get a FR 5th wheel trailer out of state with my stock 04 3500 Silverado dually 4x4. Trailer dry weight is about 14,000 lbs. Should I turn overdrive on the flat portions of the trip home to save fuel at 65mph?

Thank you.

stew
If it's a diesel (2004 GM is a five speed), put in drive with tow/haul button engaged and forget about it...Allison tranny will take care of it self.

If it's a gasser, yes, on flats you can use overdrive and take advantage of some fuel savings BUT with the slightest inclines towing 14K, better get out of OD and also think about dropping to at least 4th gear to manage slopes to save tranny.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Anacortesians

Let the transmission computer do it's thing and quit worrying about it. The only time you should over-ride the computer is if it keeps shifting up and down with minor changes in load.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #6

Okay thank you everybody. I just got back from the 16 hour round trip. (Tallahassee). I did not buy the trailer because of substantial undisclosed roof damage and water intrusion with delamination. I asked the seller specifically beforehand if there had been any damage to the trailer. Oh well. Thank you for the information. Yes my truck is an 04 Silverado LLY with the 6.6 duramax and Allison transmission 4x4 long bed. I used to have a'99 Ram V10 and overdrive was an issue. I had to replace a transmission due to towing in overdrive in the Rockies. From what you say and others, I believe that the Allision transmission has made this a non issue. Thank you Forest River folks.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #7

Dang, I'll bet that was a huge disappointment. 16 hours is a long way to go to find out someone lied to you.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Dang, I'll bet that was a huge disappointment. 16 hours is a long way to go to find out someone lied to you.
Yep. Oh well. Before going down there I had maybe 6 or 7 phone conversations with the guy and numerous texts, and he did pinbox measurements for me and everything. I really had a very, very good feeling about the guy. But I asked him AGAIN on the phone just as I was getting on the road, "okay, now I gotta ask again, you're sure there's been no damage to the trailer?" Nope none at all.

Well, I'm glad I got on the roof. When I came down the ladder, his excuse for not telling me was that since it had been "repaired" he thought it was a "non issue," and that he had rubbed the trailer against a palm tree. Well, the "repair" was completely substandard and looked and felt like it was done way after the initial damage and lots of water got in. Warping and bubbles radiating from the paper mache "repair." I could feel it was all rotten and crackling sounding everywhere in the general area. As I told him, a small child's foot would go right through the "repair." And there's ample siding delamination on the opposite (non pictured) side of the trailer. Oh, and on the phone he told me he bought it new which turned out not to be true.

Thanks for letting me vent. Sorry to do so just before Xmas. I shoulda known. It's another example of "if a deal appears to good to be true it probably is." The best I can say is that the guy is evidently in some kind of financial bind and needs the money bad.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #9

Good job in examining it carefully before plunking any dinero down. Worse than an ignorant seller is a lying bast**d.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry to do so just before Xmas. I shoulda known. It's another example of "if a deal appears to good to be true it probably is." The best I can say is that the guy is evidently in some kind of financial bind and needs the money bad.
Sorry it didn't work out and that you had to drive 16 hr. round trip to be disappointed. There's lots of resales out there but unfortunately, there's diamonds and total duds.

Good luck with you search...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Sorry it didn't work out and that you had to drive 16 hr. round trip to be disappointed. There's lots of resales out there but unfortunately, there's diamonds and total duds.

Good luck with you search...

Dave
Thanks Dave and I appreciate all your help.