Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #21

LOL @ Brother Les...it's brand new buddy, don't want to hurt it.

Asquared...didn't like the fact that the gasser down shifted at every little incline. When crusin at about 63 mph rpm running at about 2300 and always trying to find a gear. In tow mode also. My diesel settles in at around 1700 and just purrrrrs along. Haven't been to the scales yet but will soon.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. And yes you will love diesel towing on the inclines. I will miss that but after the issues I've had just not sure that extra power is worth the expense.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
brother les... yes I've been to FTE. Not much help. the ford has been in and out of the shop at least half dozen times since I bought it a year and a half ago. Now it is back in the shop with a possible stuck turbo or fuel injector problem (still waiting on diagnosis). Tired of the issues with it. That's why I want to bail on it. Not looking for truck advice other than the OP experience with his previous truck towing same or similar 5er to what I'm looking at for my next trailer.
Sorry asquared about your experience with your Ford. On the 7.3 threads the main motto is that The Brotherhood does not let a Brother take their truck to a sDealer or mechanic unless all avenues have been 'exhausted' ()... Many Brothers will come to another Brothers aid with an 'AE' program. A Ford tech should easily find out if your problem is a stuck (??) turbo or an injector problem. But, it is what it is. There seems to come a time sometimes when enough is enough and to look for a change.

Blessings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
LOL @ Brother Les...it's brand new buddy, don't want to hurt it.

Anaro...didn't like the fact that the gasser down shifted at every little incline. When crusin at about 63 mph rpm running at about 2300 and always trying to find a gear. In tow mode also. My diesel settles in at around 1700 and just purrrrrs along. Haven't been to the scales yet but will soon.
God forbid to hurt your new baby

I was thinking about a brush guard in the front (with winch), full width running boards from front to back. Nice solid mud flaps...... this is to protect your investment.

'Next month'.... will start looking at chippen it up.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #25

just had too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ornery.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	39130  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #26

a gas engine will work but once you have a diesel you will never go back. Mine tows like I have no trailer behind me. Stopping for fuel at trucks make refueling stress free. The better fuel economy you cant beat it. I had to practically do a presentation to sell the wife on buying a diesel. But now she even loves the truck. First truck I have heard her say that she loved! lol
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #27

Only thing better than a "diesel" is a Cummins!!!

Congrats! Glad you joined the dark side, you wont ever regret it. As I've said my only complaint is that the fuel tank is so large that I can't hold it long enough to fill the truck back up! Stopping almost every 1/4 tank for the wife and myself!

Congrats though!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Only thing better than a "diesel" is a Cummins!!!

!
I bet you drive around with your mirrors flipped up , a big C sticker in the back window, and a 10 inch tailpipe or 12inch stacks...lol

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I bet you drive around with your mirrors flipped up , a big C sticker in the back window, and a 10 inch tailpipe or 12inch stacks...lol

Wrong... that actually irritates the heck out of me... and I was "warned" on the cummins forum for voicing my opinion on the style you mentioned...

You may notice below, No mirrors flipped up, no C sticker and only 4" straight pipe to stock location on the tail pipe...

Good try... I don't fit many stereo types...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duke1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	39147  

Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
Always Learning

Oh! I drive around with my mirrors flipped up from spring to fall because they FLIP and not slide out. It's too much hassle to reset them when I want to change them when we're not towing.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Oh! I drive around with my mirrors flipped up from spring to fall because they FLIP and not slide out. It's too much hassle to reset them when I want to change them when we're not towing.

This to me actually isn't a big deal being that you drive a dually. To me it is easier to see out of the mirrors with the dually due to the width... So no complaint there...

Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #32

I am about a month into being a diesel owner and loving it. I had a 6.0 Chevy and it worked its butt off to pull our 8500lb tt, throw in a strong wind or a good hill and I thought she might blow. It took me just just biting the bullet and hoping the wife wouldn't kill me, but I love my duramax. Went on our first trip this past weekend and I am still amazed at how easy a diesel makes pulling a 36 ft tt. It is a pricey truck but so worth it. Good luck!
Hamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
This to me actually isn't a big deal being that you drive a dually. To me it is easier to see out of the mirrors with the dually due to the width... So no complaint there...
Truthfully, neither way really makes a big difference when it's just the truck. It really is what I first said- my pure laziness.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #34

When you guys get ready to pull out and head to your next stop, how many of you let your rig get to optimum temp before you head out?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #35

Quote:
When you guys get ready to pull out and head to your next stop, how many of you let your rig get to optimum temp before you head out?

Not I.

I take it easy till it is up to temp.

Do over the road truck drivers un hook from their trailers to warm up first?

Some may suggest letting it idle. DO NOT DO THIS!!! Idling, especially on the newer models is just about the worst thing you can do! Idling doesn't create enough air flow in and out of the cylinders nor enough PSI from the injector to distribute the fuel in the cylinder. Ultimately the injector ends ups squirting it onto the side walls of the cylinder and not getting a very clean burn of the fuel pushing soot/unburnt fuel out the exhaust. With the new exhausts having all the new regulations this plays havoc on them. This will screw up sensors. plug the cat and particulate filters and and end up causing more harm than good.

Also, diesel is a very efficient fuel. meaning the majority of the energy is used for combustion. Thus not producing the high heat that gasoline does at an idle. This is why you see the bras on fronts of diesels during the winter time to help keep them warm as they use most of the heat to turn the motor and send the majority of whats left out the exhaust. This being said, Idling is fairly useless anyways as it wont produce much heat anyways...

Old 09-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #36

Quote:

I will let my warm up a minute or two only if I have to use the glow plugs. If it is not cold enough to use them..... slow and steady until I get up to cruising speed.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Wrong... that actually irritates the heck out of me... and I was "warned" on the cummins forum for voicing my opinion on the style you mentioned...

You may notice below, No mirrors flipped up, no C sticker and only 4" straight pipe to stock location on the tail pipe...

Poor truck is neutered

Just jok'en.......

Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #38

Thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #39

At least it wasen't like the guy I saw yesterday that put the "Cummins" logo on his gasser!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #40

Quote:

you did buy a dodge...lol

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide

Tags
gas