Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Turning

I have a Chevy with a 6.5 ft box and a tool box. Will I be able to turn my Wildcat 312 without hitting the tool box?
digger81b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Always Learning

How tall is the toolbox? Can you show any pictures of what you have currently? Can you measure how far above the rails it'll sit?

Are you ok with the idea of a sliding hitch? Are you willing to spend the money on an automated slider?

Wow- that was a lot (all) questions! Sorry about that!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab. The tool box is 20 inches wide front to back and sits 7.5 inches above the box sides. We have a drawtite hitch and didn't want to purchase a slider. The fifth wheel is a Wildcat 312 BHX-OK. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most hitches are adjustable up and down as well as the pin box to clear ......
Now if you go through a dip while turning I would be more concerned !
When I have my gennie in the box in front of the hitch it sits about 4 inches above and I have not had a problem.
I also have a 6.5 box with a slider .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger81b View Post
I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab. The tool box is 20 inches wide front to back and sits 7.5 inches above the box sides. We have a drawtite hitch and didn't want to purchase a slider. The fifth wheel is a Wildcat 312 BHX-OK. Thanks.
How high does the 5ver overhang sit above the truck's bed rails? If it's less than 7.5", it's pretty much a sure thing that you'll hit the toolbox in a tight turn.

I have a tri-fold hard cover that's 5" high and 29" front to back when folded. For clearance between overhang and truck, I have 7" at the front of the overhang. I've never had any issues but need to watch if backing into a tight spot that's uphill. I also have a manual slider though I almost never use it.

You could check by doing some careful mall parking lot maneuvering to check the limits.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

Thank you. I have just purchased the camper and was wondering if I need to take my tool box out before going to the dealer to pick it up.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

as I stated before ...........
the camper may clear the tool box when normal turning occurs .

but turning while going up a steep driveway grade may be an issue !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger81b View Post
Thank you. I have just purchased the camper and was wondering if I need to take my tool box out before going to the dealer to pick it up.
IMO, the safest thing is to take it out temporarily until you can check the lay of the land, so to speak.