Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #1

TV advice needed

I'm a newbie who just ordered a roo 23ss (due to arrive in March). In the meantime I'm shopping for a tow vehicle. Looking at suvs over trucks due to needed cargo room and additional seats needed for my girls (and their friends). I'm looking at the '09-'12 range of Suburbans/Tahoes/Armadas under 100,000 miles. Most important to me is safety and muscle to pull with dependability to last. Open to any opinions/reccomendations of these models and what i need to make them most equipped. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:24 AM   #2

I tow my Salem 29RLSS with a 97 Suburban K2500HD and couldn't be happier The 454 (7.4) has plenty of power and nice big brakes. The 3/4 ton heavy duty has the same axles as the 1 ton pickup. 305, 530 miles and still runs good (all synthetic fluids). Yes I know, more MPG with a diesel, but higher priced fuel and, mostly I don't know how to work on diesels. Suburbans have been towing favorites for many years.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:42 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

a Suburban would be perfect for towing the 23SS.
make sure it has the factory tow package.
IMHO the Tahoe shorter wheelbase is a disadvantage.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #4

Ok. thanks. many of the Suburbans I'm looking at on Auto Trader have a hitch on them. If it has the hitch can I conclude it has the "tow package" your referring to? besides the hitch what all does the tow package consist of? thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpennington70 View Post
Ok. thanks. many of the Suburbans I'm looking at on Auto Trader have a hitch on them. If it has the hitch can I conclude it has the "tow package" your referring to? besides the hitch what all does the tow package consist of? thanks.
NO, doesn't necessarily mean it has the tow package. that receiver could be an aftermarket addition.
and it's a hitch receiver, not a hitch.
i do seem to remember that, for the years you're looking at, GM made the factory tow package as a standard item but i could be wrong.

a typical factory tow package has: 2" hitch receiver, trans cooler, towing rear end ratio, 7-pin trailer connector and pre-wiring for a brake controller.
some other additions could be factory tow mirrors or auxiliary trans cooler or a tow/haul button feature.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-31-2015, 01:27 AM   #6

Thanks a bunch. That info really helps. I'm learning on the fly right now.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:40 AM   #7

Would I also need a weight distribution/anti sway package? Thanks again for the education.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:33 AM   #8

In my opinion a weight distribution hitch with anti sway bar is always a good idea. Your trailer may not have a tendency to wag its tail going down the road but it helps when it is windy or when a semi passes you. When a semi goes down the road at 60 or 70 MPH it is pushing a cushion of air in front of it. When that cushion of air rushing around the front of that semi hits the back of your trailer it pushes it toward the shoulder a little. When the back of the trailer goes toward the shoulder the front goes toward the semi, that is to your left, for just about half a second. It makes it feel as though your trailer is being sucked towards the semi. You will instinctively steer to the right and that will bring your trailer back into the proper orientation. Just be careful not to over react. The anti sway bar on your hitch will minimize this swaying as well as that caused by wind gusts. Another thing to keep in mind since you're new to this is that the speed limit is a maximum speed not a required speed. So until you get some road time under your belt don't drive faster than you feel comfortable with. The people behind you will pass you when they get a chance and you will soon get more comfortable towing your trailer. Stay safe and enjoy your new trailer.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 AM   #9

Thanks for that explanation, J W. I've always felt that happen, but never really understood why.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:55 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpennington70 View Post
Would I also need a weight distribution/anti sway package? Thanks again for the education.
YES!
for example, my Avalanche's owners manual had the trailer minimum weights that required using a WDH.
my 23SS were above those minimums, so i got an Equal-i-zer 1,000/10,000lbs. model and it's been great for over 8 years now.
you're also required to have a brake controller, Prodigy is the best for the price and is the most popular brand out there.