Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
PINTO

TV Air Bags for 5th Wheels....Moved from parallel thread

I have them on my truck 2010 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. Pull a 5er. Truck sits level without bags. Roads in Louisisana suck and the bags help to keep the suspension from bottoming out. I only run 10-15psi with camper on truck loaded. I bought ride-rite firestone bags, ordered them online. Bought the "no drill kit" installed them myself. Kit with everything needed including air lines and fittings was just under 300 bucks.
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
HOLIDAY ROAD

That's a good price. The roads in canada are quite rough and the air bags would work just fine. I find they keep things level. Pulling my 5th I'm about 1500 lbs under gvwr. But if I fill the water tank the truck sags a few inches. I'd rather pull level I tryed moving cargo but doesn't make that much difference. I pull my 5th with a 1/2 ton 09 sierra crew cab short box using a pull rite sliding hitch that works great. The truck is rated for 9500lbs and the 5th empty is a little more then 7000lbs.
Holiday Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Road View Post
Pulling my 5th I'm about 1500 lbs under gvwr. I pull my 5th with a 1/2 ton 09 sierra crew cab short box using a pull rite sliding hitch that works great.
Huh ??? Chevy must have some hefty payloads on their 1/2 ton pickups, is all that I can say. If you can hook up a 5th wheel, and still have 1500 lbs. to go before maxing out the GVWR, I need to switch brands. My F150 weighs right around 6000 lbs. with me sitting in the seat, and my GVWR is 7200 lbs........only a 1200 lb. payload before hitching up my trailer.

I haven't seen many 1/2 ton pickups with over a 7200 lb. GVWR. What is that on your truck ???

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

This thread was a combination of posts from a parallel thread that got off the main topic.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
HOLIDAY ROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Huh ??? Chevy must have some hefty payloads on their 1/2 ton pickups, is all that I can say. If you can hook up a 5th wheel, and still have 1500 lbs. to go before maxing out the GVWR, I need to switch brands. My F150 weighs right around 6000 lbs. with me sitting in the seat, and my GVWR is 7200 lbs........only a 1200 lb. payload before hitching up my trailer.

I haven't seen many 1/2 ton pickups with over a 7200 lb. GVWR. What is that on your truck ???
My Truck is a 1/2ton 09 sierra with H.D. trailering, cooling package known as K5L rated for 9500lbs max trailer WT with 3.42 axle ratio, GCWR 15000lbs. My 5th WT is 7043 lbs empty. I estimate 1000lbs of gear, including hitch and occupents, gas full and 2/3 in the water tank. With a totel of 8000lbs that leaves 1500lbs under max trailer WT. On the scale weight at steer axle 3460lbs, 7780lbs on the rear axle of the truck and 3220lbs on the trailer with a gross wt of 14460lbs. That is with truck and 5th attached.

I'm sure not many people have a clue of there WT and yet they seem to travel the speed limit or more. 15 to 20 KM/hr LESS seems pritty safe to me plus extra spacing for stop distance.

Yes this did stray from the origenal subject but it is all still relative wouldn't you think.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Holiday Road, maybe we are getting some of the weight ratings confused. In your post #2 you stated that you are 1500 lbs. under your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). That is what your truck only is rated at.....weight of the truck, passengers, gear, and payload. That should be listed on a sticker on your door.

The 14460 lb. weight is your GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). If you have a 15000 lb. limit, then you are indeed under that figure.

The 7780 lb. figure sitting your rear axle is scary. I don't even think 3/4 ton trucks have that kind of rating for the rear axles. Most 1/2 ton trucks have a RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) under 4000 lbs.

Along with the GVWR, the RAWR, and FAWR (front) should be listed on the drivers side door sticker.

It is great that you have weighed your rig....that is something that everyone should do. But the figures should be within the limits of your tow vehicle.

What model 5th wheel are you towing ???

Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
HOLIDAY ROAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Holiday Road, maybe we are getting some of the weight ratings confused. In your post #2 you stated that you are 1500 lbs. under your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). That is what your truck only is rated at.....weight of the truck, passengers, gear, and payload. That should be listed on a sticker on your door.

The 14460 lb. weight is your GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). If you have a 15000 lb. limit, then you are indeed under that figure.

The 7780 lb. figure sitting your rear axle is scary. I don't even think 3/4 ton trucks have that kind of rating for the rear axles. Most 1/2 ton trucks have a RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) under 4000 lbs.

Along with the GVWR, the RAWR, and FAWR (front) should be listed on the drivers side door sticker.

It is great that you have weighed your rig....that is something that everyone should do. But the figures should be within the limits of your tow vehicle.

What model 5th wheel are you towing ???

2012 crossroads zinger 25bh
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
HOLIDAY ROAD

How is it possible that i can be over gawr by 3700lbs. I think I will pull into a different scale and reweigh the two. If this 5th is 1/2ton towable then why is it so heavy over the rear axle.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #9

Make sure you have your wheels on the scale platforms in the right place. The scale I used had one platform for the TV front axle, one platform for the TV rear axle and one larger platform for the trailer axles. First time I weighed I got one of the wheels across two platforms and that gave me some really bad weights similar to yours.

Good luck, Patrick
PatrickCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
HOLIDAY ROAD

Thumbs up

Thanks, I think that is exactly what has happened when I pulled on to the scale the guy was hard to understand and all I got was green lights and no red lights. when they printed it out I asked them about the weights and they didn't seem to know. they said I could redo it but it would cost another $12. I figure I will go to a DOT scale next time. I appreciate you giving me your input have a good evening!

Tags
5th wheel, air bags