Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

TV bed length for Fifth Wheel?

Newbie question: as I look at truck specs for towing, etc, I read that there might be bed length requirements for 5ers. I currently have a conventional TT, but if I'm going to buy a truck, I want to make it "future proof" in case I move into a Fifth Wheel eventually. Not a huge one. Probably something small enough to be pulled by a hefty half-ton (although I'm looking at F250's). So do I "need" an 8" long bed? I'd much rather stick with the shorter 6" beds. Thanks!
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
"On the road again"

For years we pulled fifth wheels with a "short bed" F-250. I believe they are 6 3/4 feet. Never had an issue even without a sliding hitch. The half-ton bed is somewhat shorter - so I can't address that. If your checkbook will allow - I'm a firm believer in at least 3/4 ton over a half-ton.

Currently we pull with an 8' bed on an F-350 dually.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 AM   #3

I started pulling our fiver with a short bed truck and had a slider hitch. When I moved to the long bed dually, I moved my slider hitch over but should never have to use it. If you want to stay short bed--invest in a slider type hitch. You'll appreciate it in tight situations.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLMRPh View Post
Newbie question: as I look at truck specs for towing, etc, I read that there might be bed length requirements for 5ers. I currently have a conventional TT, but if I'm going to buy a truck, I want to make it "future proof" in case I move into a Fifth Wheel eventually. Not a huge one. Probably something small enough to be pulled by a hefty half-ton (although I'm looking at F250's). So do I "need" an 8" long bed? I'd much rather stick with the shorter 6" beds. Thanks!
My camper has a rounded nose and I believe was designed for a short bed truck. Never had to use the slider on my shortbed.

But I'd advise a slider just to be 100 percent sure.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #5

If you really want to look at a 5er in the future, dont get a half ton truck!
I had the same thoughts and went with a one ton. Glad i did, wife wants a larger 5th wheel now.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

Just to clarify from everyone's comments: I assume "short bed" means the 6"+ beds? Not the real "short beds" Ike 5"? And long means the 8"? (It's hard to keep it straight for me since I'm looking at both F150's and 250's and the lengths are different.).
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #7

If you don't want a slider hitch just make sure you buy a 5er with a Revolution pin box.

I also suggest at least a 3/4 ton truck if you are buying. It simply gives you more options.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Big boys (edit:and Big Girls ) want big toys, go with a 3/4 ton and don't worry about not having enough truck to pull your camper.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #9

i love that you are trying to future proof your purchase

With that said, bed length is not really an issue anymore, with new pin boxes or slider hitches, this situation is no longer a problem. If you have the opportunity, get a puck system where where you don't have to bolt rails to your bed.

I can't stress this enough, if you are looking at fifth wheels, go Big on your truck. Some of the eco boost f150 with special built packages such as max payload and HD towing will work, but you are basically ordering a F250 at that point with a 150 badge.

Buy the 250 now and save the hassle.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #10

TV bed length for Fifth Wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
Big boys want big toys, go with a 3/4 ton and don't worry about not having enough truck to pull your camper.

And big girls! (want big toys, too, that is! LOL)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #11

So I'm betting all of you would also say, "Go diesel or go home!," right?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #12

Not me on diesel over gas, between the cost of diesel fuel over gas and regular maintenance cost over a gas vehicle. If you should need to replace an engine the cost of a diesel will buy you a new coach as compared to a gas engine.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
Site Team

I'm also on the gas side of that argument. I just traded in a diesel for a gasser and am happy with the decision. I couldn't justify the cost of the engine for towing less than 10k lbs.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
Not me on diesel over gas, between the cost of diesel fuel over gas and regular maintenance cost over a gas vehicle. If you should need to replace an engine the cost of a diesel will buy you a new coach as compared to a gas engine.
Myths......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #15

Agree, gas does fine and I do have a 5.5 ft bed. It does everything that I need for a fifth wheel. I also agree with the other person as to knowing when you buy a fifth wheel what the front cap is like. I did get a slider hitch in the event I trade and the new 5r doesn't have a curved front cap won't make me have to buy a new hitch kinda thing. Maintenance is cheaper on gas but longevity could be a desire on diesel. I personally don't keep vehicles long so I don't desire a last purchase vehicle. Sometimes it's just man I like that new body style and boom..

I do tow heavy, don't get me wrong and yes if you get an f150 max tow package might as well look at the f250.

Currently I use an iforce 5.7 by Toyota to move my 337Bar fifth wheel and I love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2968.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	146118
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLMRPh View Post
So I'm betting all of you would also say, "Go diesel or go home!," right?
If you want to shell out that extra cost for a diesel- nothing less than 1 ton- 3/4 diesel for the most part have a dismal payload. Our 31' 5er is 9K loaded and we are more than satisfied with our 2016 Chevrolet HD 4x4, dbl cab, gas . It would take 100k to 150k miles to break even if you bought a diesel. I have always liked the Ford but the new 250's are higher (about 4") that would cause a issue with leveling the 5er and would not fit in our garage whereas the Chevrolet fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017 FW.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	146123  
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #17

You should also factor in the fuel tank size. You can't beat having 48 gallons of fuel with the 8 foot box.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #18

Personally, I would never buy a truck with a bed shorter than 6'. And I don't like 8' beds either. Been using a sidewinder pin box to pull fifth wheels for years with a 6' bed. The sidewinder is a much cheaper, more reliable, and lighter solution than a slider hitch.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Agree, gas does fine and I do have a 5.5 ft bed. It does everything that I need for a fifth wheel. I also agree with the other person as to knowing when you buy a fifth wheel what the front cap is like. I did get a slider hitch in the event I trade and the new 5r doesn't have a curved front cap won't make me have to buy a new hitch kinda thing. Maintenance is cheaper on gas but longevity could be a desire on diesel. I personally don't keep vehicles long so I don't desire a last purchase vehicle. Sometimes it's just man I like that new body style and boom..

I do tow heavy, don't get me wrong and yes if you get an f150 max tow package might as well look at the f250.

Currently I use an iforce 5.7 by Toyota to move my 337Bar fifth wheel and I love it.

Attachment 146118

Name:	IMG_2980.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	146124just. Realized I sent the interior and not the rig!
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #20

An F150 isn't going to pull much of a fifth wheel. Most fivers will max out the payload before they get close to maxing the trailer weight. Do the math carefully before you buy anything. Lots of threads about what a half-ton can pull. They may pull a fiver, but can they stop it and what's it like to drive it all day?

If you think you'll be looking at relatively new fifth wheels when you start shopping, I think you'll find that the cutaway front caps are pretty standard. Those a pretty much no-brainers to me.

Most people probably put more miles on their TV running errands than they do towing, and I guarantee you'll wish your wheelbase was a little shorter no matter what you get. I have a '16 F250 CCSB with an Andersen Ultimate hitch and I can do a full 90 degree cut with plenty of clearance. Sometimes it takes more than one try to get in to a parking space, though.

My truck is a gasser and, while there are times I'd like the extra torque and mileage of a diesel, it does everything I'd expect from a diesel. I just don't drive enough miles to justify in my mind the extra purchase and service cost of a diesel.

Not that much of a price delta between the F150 and F250 and an even smaller gap to go to an F350. Huge difference in capability, though.
Springer Spaniel Furkids - (the late) Molly & Mea the Monster Puppy
Blogs BataanMissing.com & Airsafety.info
JohnNJean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, fifth wheel, wheel