Old 10-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #21
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Guess I'll have to 'chip up', just to show you what 'ol Barney' can do.....been to a tractor pull lately?

Old 10-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #22

There is a OC west style Ram here. Sounds the same noisy oil burner. I think it just the age and time they didn't care as much about these things with a work truck.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #23
Left Coast

As Turns would say, Sweeeeet!
Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would say Saaaaweeet! Lol
Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #25

LLY? Glad I got rid of mine 7 years ago after overheating for the fourth or fifth time with GMs refusal to acknowledge any problem. Yea there was a supposed cure, but,by that time I had lost all faith in GM. Two bad ones in a row was enough. Good luck with your repairs
Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My lmm is tuned and sitting @ 150k on the digital Rollin aroundy thing.
I'd check ebay for low mileage units.

Reman llys are in the 8k range with warranty
Old 10-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #27

Just talked to a guy last night that got a 6.0 ford say it is the hardest thing to get started but once it starts runs ok not great it is one of the harley edition truck but has some wiring problems tail lights dont work now the mechanic say motor needs new injectors and about 4,000 worh of motor work

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
Left Coast

Just find it really hard to understand today's prices for auto type repairs.... was in the trans business for 35 years, and nothing I see in today's o/h kits costs what their gett'n... electronic solenoids, speed sensors and the like, all can be had for under $100.00....labor, has gone out of sight as every one wants to charge big bucks for diagnosis, which was part of just doing the job.....shops should have some responsibility to purchase their own dia. equipment, part of being in business.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Black is fuel, white is water....head gskt, crack.

White smoke isn't always water. Retarded timing can also cause it. And some diesels will blow white smoke when it is doing a regen.

To the OP......

Did they tell you why it was going to be $7k? A friend of mine just replaced his heads, head gaskets, and ARP studs. The total bill was less than $4k.

Also, when going back together, you need to install an LBZ turbo mouthpiece. Your heads are most likely cracked because it has been overheated before. The factory LLY mouthpiece was choked down and would cause the LLY's to overheat.

Do you have aftermarket gauges? If not, I would highly recommend you get some. IMO the Edge CTS2 is the best one on the market. The factory temp gauge on these trucks aren't very accurate. I know mine is off by 25 degrees. The CTS2 will show you exact temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
White smoke isn't always water. Retarded timing can also cause it. And some diesels will blow white smoke when it is doing a regen.

To the OP......

Did they tell you why it was going to be $7k? A friend of mine just replaced his heads, head gaskets, and ARP studs. The total bill was less than $4k.

Also, when going back together, you need to install an LBZ turbo mouthpiece. Your heads are most likely cracked because it has been overheated before. The factory LLY mouthpiece was choked down and would cause the LLY's to overheat.

Do you have aftermarket gauges? If not, I would highly recommend you get some. IMO the Edge CTS2 is the best one on the market. The factory temp gauge on these trucks aren't very accurate. I know mine is off by 25 degrees. The CTS2 will show you exact temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks everyone for the responses.

4 grand would be about right for what you listed. my original estimate was about 4600 due to opting to upgrade a couple other weak factory items with replacements. but then I ran into a couple other issues and some may-as-wells... trans cooler fitting disintegrated when taking it apart, replacement lines about 360. power steering hoses leaking, may as well replace that, another 300-something. 125k miles, may as well do new injectors while it's apart. sent heads to machine shop to get them checked, both cracked but repairable, 500 each.

I do not have aftermarket gauges, just the stock factory in the dash... neither the engine temp nor the turbo temp have ever registered anything over normal. I have aftermarket exhaust and k&n filter on it but that's all... no chips or anything. I do tow 10k lb trailers for my business, but that should not stress it that much. I don't abuse the truck but I bought it used tho and I don't know how it was treated in it's previous life, although it was owned by a horse farm and their trailers aren't that heave. It was in great shape and didn't look abused. I take care of my vehicles and it's been maintained since I have owned it. I am getting over my initial shock. Hopefully doing these repairs will ensure me many happy, carefree miles in the future...