Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Oh yea.

The real question is how you use the truck. If its your back and forth to work truck; it can pull what you currently have; and you never intend to "full time". Gas is the only way to go.

If its a dedicated Tow Vehicle and you camp more than 45 days a year (or take very long trips); plan on getting something bigger within 5 years; or want to full time it; Diesel will pay for itself over time since you won't need to replace the TV when you replace the camper.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Oh yea.

The real question is how you use the truck. If its your back and forth to work truck; it can pull what you currently have; and you never intend to "full time". Gas is the only way to go.

If its a dedicated Tow Vehicle and you camp more than 45 days a year (or take very long trips); plan on getting something bigger within 5 years; or want to full time it; Diesel will pay for itself over time since you won't need to replace the TV when you replace the camper.
herk7769, you hit the nail on the head.......
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
All of your comments are valid as long as you are towing under about 10K. However there are lots of folks who tow way heavier than that. What current gas motor is there that can tow my 13,350 pound fiver and get 10 MPG in the process? When towing up near the limits, there is nothing like a diesel motor for torque and economy. Now for the weekend thing? So what? My 8000 pound dually is getting 13.5-14.5 as a daily driver on my 10 mile commute. Maintenance costs? I have to install three gallons of oil once a year instead of 5 quarts. That is not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things at the end of the year if you look at the total maintenance costs. Your gas motor has spark plugs, my diesel does not. I just don't see where you get your comments except maybe from an uneducated internet prospective and not real life.
donn, like i said, this has been talked about on this forum before, and these points have been brought out. I have talk to Mechanics about this at a GM dealer on a few occations i also have a camping friend that has a 2004 Chevy Duramx and his Son-in-law works on diesels as well, this is where i get my info, so uneducated i don't think so.

As far as your fuel milage on your dually that's great if you like then i love it. On my 6.0 gas engine on a regular commute i have gotten as much as 21.3 miles to the gallon, you see my truck will run on 4 cylinders until i need more power, them i jump to 8 cylinders and i average 10 miles to the gallon when i tow my camper.

Must be nice to travel only 10 miles to work, is that round trip? I travel 80 miles one way.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #24

Rockwood,
Hitch your gas motor to my fiver and see if you can even get it out of my driveway. See it won't happen, let along get up the hill out of my neighborhood. Now if my truck had a 3.54 rear end instead of a 4.10 I could easily get the same sorts of numbers. Like I said, a diesel is the only possible solution to towing heavy. If my RV was only 7000 pounds, I would still have a diesel. Better fuel economy than a comparable gas motor, longer life span, and all round more fun to drive. But to each his own.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #25
Infractee

So, Ford vs chevy vs dodge vs toyota vs nissan anybody?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Rockwood,
Hitch your gas motor to my fiver and see if you can even get it out of my driveway. See it won't happen, let along get up the hill out of my neighborhood. Now if my truck had a 3.54 rear end instead of a 4.10 I could easily get the same sorts of numbers. Like I said, a diesel is the only possible solution to towing heavy. If my RV was only 7000 pounds, I would still have a diesel. Better fuel economy than a comparable gas motor, longer life span, and all round more fun to drive. But to each his own.

You are right, to each is own and i enjoyed the chat and