Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Senior Senior Member

TV needs new shoes

The tires on my 2013 RAM are down to their last few 32nds so it's time to buy new ones. Anyway I do it, I'm figuring on spending around $1k for the size I need which is LT245/70R/17.
The truck came with Firestone TransForce and they have worn evenly and rode comfortably while being reasonably quiet. They are worn out at 43K miles. Which is pretty good to me.
So I am wondering what others have gone to for their 3/4 ton trucks.

Any advice?.... TIA
Old 10-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

I've got exactly the same tires on my 2016 RAM 2500 and don't care for them, but that's just because of living in the north country. Had Goodyear Wrangler AT's on my RAM 1500 and on several other vehicles in the past. Good for year round running, very aggressive tire off road (mud & snow), not overly loud on the asphalt and loved them. Always got around 45K on a set. Will try to find right size of Wranglers for the 2500 when these wear out. Let us know what you find to change over to.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Put a set of Yokahama Geolanders on my dually last year after an OE tread seperation. Extremely quiet, decent ride. Fair price.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

Cooper AT3's have worked well for me. And they have a 50K mileage warranty!
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphillips52 View Post
Cooper AT3's have worked well for me. And they have a 50K mileage warranty!
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

I have Hankook DynaPro AT-M tires on my 4x4 Ram 3500 Dually. Love the quiet ride, fairly aggressive tread and the overall price. Generally around $170 each fully installed, balanced, etc.
I have 22k on the fronts and they still look like new.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

I'm running Michelin LTX A/T size LT275/65R20 on my Ford F250 Platinum 4X4 6.7L Turbo diesel. Good ride, good handling, good ware. Also they are quiet! I pull a 41' 5th wheel without any problems. That's my 2 cents worth.
Semi-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

Put a set of Cooper AT3s on my 2010. Really like them. Had the Yokohomas before that and also liked them. Ill stick with the Coopers.
dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #9

Lots of choices for that tire size. Heard good things about the Cooper, Hankook and Nitto DuraGrappler. Whatever you pick be sure it's an E-load. I like the Nitto because of the really stiff sidewall for stability, but I think they ride a little firmer when not loaded. I'll put up with that.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Lots of choices for that tire size. Heard good things about the Cooper, Hankook and Nitto DuraGrappler. Whatever you pick be sure it's an E-load. I like the Nitto because of the really stiff sidewall for stability, but I think they ride a little firmer when not loaded. I'll put up with that.
Thanks to all who have replied so far. I should have mentioned that 95% of this trucks usage is towing our camper on pavement usually at highway speeds, say 65mph. So recognizing that we will probably be living with our decision for the next 3 years or so, we have set QUIET as the most important factor then ride... after all it is a 3/4 ton 4WD so it won't ride like a sedan.

BTW... we spend most of the winter in Florida so traction in snow is not an issue

TIA
Old 10-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Thanks to all who have replied so far. I should have mentioned that 95% of this trucks usage is towing our camper on pavement usually at highway speeds, say 65mph. So recognizing that we will probably be living with our decision for the next 3 years or so, we have set QUIET as the most important factor then ride... after all it is a 3/4 ton 4WD so it won't ride like a sedan.

TIA
I guess everyone has their own idea of quiet. With the Nitto tires I hear some noise if I open a window. It's more noticeable than the OEM Goodyear junk but definitely not what I consider noisy. At least compared to some of the countryboy trucks going past my house.

I think most of the recommendations in this thread will be good for you.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #12
Newly Retired

Michelin tires wear like iron and are also very quiet.
The BF Goodrich tire with Kevlar in side walls are a tough tire also, won't last like a Michelin though.
Happy motoring.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

Did you have Transforce AT or HT tires on the RAM ?
I just put the HT series on my RAM 1500 and so far I have been pleased with them.
Towed 3-times so far, very quiet. If you are not going off road or driving in mud/snow the HT version is a better choice.
Even though I live in New England I still buy the HT series and have never had issues in snow. Seeing how 99% of the time it is used on dry pavement I don't worry about it.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #14

If you liked the performance of the transforce HT why not buy them again? Otherwise, as someone said, michelin tires are excellent. They cost a bit more but will last much longer. Also, michelins usually have a very low rolling resistance which may slightly improve diesel mileage.

I just bought a ram 2500 which has the transforce HT tires which seem pretty good to me. Unfortunately, I do me off roading so I will be looking for some michelin all terrain tires.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
Did you have Transforce AT or HT tires on the RAM ?
I just put the HT series on my RAM 1500 and so far I have been pleased with them.
Towed 3-times so far, very quiet. If you are not going off road or driving in mud/snow the HT version is a better choice.
Even though I live in New England I still buy the HT series and have never had issues in snow. Seeing how 99% of the time it is used on dry pavement I don't worry about it.
My tires are the HTs and we are leaning toward just going back to them but still thinking it over. I've had Michelins on other trucks and they were great. We don't really need them until December so there's time for rumination. Be nice to run into a great sale so we'll be looking.
BTW... my buddies can't figure out why I don't get nicer looking taller tires but I had a time getting a hitch with enough drop as it was. No tall tires for this TV. Kind of like the Matchbox look anyway. Ha-Ha
Old 10-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #16
Senior Senior Member

Well after checking out tires and prices at 2 Firestone stores, Sam's Club. NTB, Sears and Costco, I ended up going with the Michelins from Costco. They beat NTB and Sears by $200 and Sam's by $50. Firestone wants over a thousand for the TransForce HTs so it's Costco for $889 out the door w lifetime road hazard, rotation and balancing.

Thanks to all for your comments.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #17

Be careful with Costco tires. I bought new tires form them about 3 years ago and all four were 4 years old. Make sure you check the dates.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:03 AM   #18
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Be careful with Costco tires. I bought new tires form them about 3 years ago and all four were 4 years old. Make sure you check the dates.
Thanks, I never gave a second thought about the age of the tires I bought until I got my camper and started hanging around here. I will be sure to check.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #19

I have had 4 sets of Cooper AT3s on various trucks... really had no problems. Will be getting 6 AT3s put on the dually tomorrow

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #20
BMullins46

Smile

By now you know you've gotten numerous responses, The biggest item is to be sure the replacement has at least the same capacity as the original tires. That said you'll find lots of brands out there, I grew up thinking that Goodyears were the best, now as an adult I've found several other brands that will do a good job. My personal choice these days is the Michelin LTS-MS, although I have found that the new tread design does tend to pick rocks rather easily. Second piece of advice is have the dealer put the screw in metal valve stems in, you tires will hold air much better, and have ALL tires balanced.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote