Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

TV prep recommendations?

All, as mentioned in a different post, I plan to tow a hybrid <5000# with a 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7L Hemi Limited equipped with the heavy-duty tow package.

I'm due to replace the tires and plan to find some having load rating 110 or 112. The OEM tires are 245/70 LR 108 but it looks like I can find a broader variety of LR 110 or 112 tires by switching to 265/65. As my only "off-road" use would be campground roads, I don't need full A/T tires and would rather not listen to the road noise, if avoidable without sacrificing the load rating.

In addition, I'm considering replacing the shocks with air-adjustable shocks, if that would be advantageous. I recognize that air shocks do not change the GAWR and do not intend it for that purpose. But they might improve the ride under load or the angle of the headlights.

I definitely need tow mirrors but have been unsuccessful in my search for extendable mirrors that can be retrofitted. A discussion with the parts department suggests that the extendable version I saw somewhere online is intended for a later model. If somebody knows differently, I'd appreciate your sharing a part number.

I'm open to suggestions for all of the above, plus any other change you might suggest.

Thanks

PS: If you read web forums elsewhere, you may see this same message. Different people participate in different places. I hope to benefit from them all.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
All, as mentioned in a different post, I plan to tow a hybrid <5000# with a 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7L Hemi Limited equipped with the heavy-duty tow package.

I'm due to replace the tires and plan to find some having load rating 110 or 112. The OEM tires are 245/70 LR 108 but it looks like I can find a broader variety of LR 110 or 112 tires by switching to 265/65. As my only "off-road" use would be campground roads, I don't need full A/T tires and would rather not listen to the road noise, if avoidable without sacrificing the load rating.
Load rating 110 or 112 tires should be fine. I just replaced my OEM tires with a 108 load rating with 113 load rating, and those tires exceed my axle ratings by 1000 lbs. per axle. I also went with road tires.

Quote:
In addition, I'm considering replacing the shocks with air-adjustable shocks, if that would be advantageous. I recognize that air shocks do not change the GAWR and do not intend it for that purpose. But they might improve the ride under load or the angle of the headlights.
If your WDH is adjusted correctly there should not be a problem with headlight angle. Heavy duty shocks might be nice, but I don't see a need for air shocks.

BTW, a high quality WDH with integrated sway control would be your best bet, instead of a WDH with a friction bar.

Quote:

I definitely need tow mirrors but have been unsuccessful in my search for extendable mirrors that can be retrofitted. A discussion with the parts department suggests that the extendable version I saw somewhere online is intended for a later model. If somebody knows differently, I'd appreciate your sharing a part number.
Have you checked out CIPA mirrors ??

Quote:
I'm open to suggestions for all of the above, plus any other change you might suggest.
You will need a brake controller. A proportional unit is much better than a time delay type.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Load rating 110 or 112 tires should be fine. I just replaced my OEM tires with a 108 load rating with 113 load rating, and those tires exceed my axle ratings by 1000 lbs. per axle. I also went with road tires.

If your WDH is adjusted correctly there should not be a problem with headlight angle. Heavy duty shocks might be nice, but I don't see a need for air shocks.

BTW, a high quality WDH with integrated sway control would be your best bet, instead of a WDH with a friction bar.

Have you checked out CIPA mirrors ??

You will need a brake controller. A proportional unit is much better than a time delay type.
I plan to get a WDH with integrated sway control. Am considering an Andersen but get a sense that it might not shift weight sufficiently for my Durango's needs. I'd hate to fork over the money, then find that out. Alternatively, am considering BlueOx. Yes, it's a more expensive than some others but more convenient, too.

I scanned through CIPA offerings but didn't find anything specific to my vehicle. I may end up with something generic.

I have a Tekonsha Envoy dating back to my pop-up days. It's rated for 2 axles (at least) so I planned to start out using that and let experience determine whether an upgrade is warranted.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #4

http://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/K-Source/KS3891.html

Check the above site for mirrors. There is nothing made specific for that vehicle. I have an 07 Chrysler aspen. I know. Those mirrors work well. If the shocks are stock from when it was new in 05 get rid of them. They are junk. I put bilsteins on my aspen. Huge difference. I also put timbren ses on the back. I just changed my stock tires to a 116 load range tire in an xl tire. I would have wet lt but there isn't a 20" tire that would fit under in an lt. I you have 17" or 18" rims go lt tires.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
Check the above site for mirrors. There is nothing made specific for that vehicle. I have an 07 Chrysler aspen. I know. Those mirrors work well. If the shocks are stock from when it was new in 05 get rid of them. They are junk. I put bilsteins on my aspen. Huge difference. I also put timbren ses on the back. I just changed my stock tires to a 116 load range tire in an xl tire. I would have wet lt but there isn't a 20" tire that would fit under in an lt. I you have 17" or 18" rims go lt tires.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What tire are you using?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
What tires are you using?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What tires are you using?
Goodyear SR-As, 165/70R17s. My intention was to replace my OEM Hankook ATs with C rated LT tires, but those tires are rare......seems like most (all ??) manufacturers skip the C and D rated tires and go straight to E rated LT tires. IMHO, E rated tires are overkill on a 1/2 ton truck.

Those Hankooks were great tires, and never had a problem with them. At 44,000 miles, I still had 6/32 tread left, with about 18,000 miles of trailer towing. But, they were getting old (manufactured 9/2005), and I thought new tires would be a nice safety upgrade.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

E-rated LT tires would be really rough compared to the current setup.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #9

I bought cooper discoverer ht plus tires.

285/50/20 116 load

Nice tire and they look great. Helps that they are almost 12" wide.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #10

Check out these tires.

Cooper discoverer at3. 112 load
General grabber at2

My buddy has the generals nice tires.