Old 04-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
TV Tire Advice

I have a 2013 Ford F150 Supercrew and I'm looking to replace the factory tires in the next couple of months. I've already decided after my initial research that I'm going to go up a size to 275/60-18 LT tires. I know this will definitely be a better tire size for pulling my TT. My question is does anyone have a recommendation on brands? I went to the local Discount Tire and they were very helpful however they kept steering me to the most expensive tire they had and just not sure that was necessary. It was a Nitto all terrain light truck tire. This is probably a great tire but again, just looking to see what others have put on their trucks. I'm looking for something that will be great while towing my trailer (2016 Vibe 250BHs that weights about 5,000 lbs) but also ride great for daily driving without the trailer. I want to make sure I do enough research to feel good about spending over $1,000 on tires. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2016 Vibe 250BHS
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew
Husky Center Line TS Hitch.
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
I recently put Michelin LTX Defender's on my 2015 Ram 1500. We tow a 33' Wildcat Max 28RKX @ about 7,500 lbs empty weight. I put the load range E tires on the Ram because of the trailer weight. I can say they are a much superior tires in every respect to the Goodyears that came with the truck. The Michelin's ride great, steer and stop well, and the truck has a much more "solid feeling".
'Give them a good hard look, you wouldn't be sorry.

PS- they are NOT cheap!

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Usually Confused Member
I'm sure you'll get all sorts of opinions. I like the Nitto. Been using them on my HD diesel truck for years and consistently get 50,000 miles. Just put them on my Ram 1500 and used the E-load 10 ply Dura Grappler. Amazing increase in stability compared to the factory suppled Goodyear SRA junk tires. Paid $1208 for four, installed, balanced and taxed, at my local independent tire store. Cheaper than Discount and anywhere else I found them on the internet.

Get the 10-ply if it's available in your size. Better than the LT.
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
I just installed a set of the Defender LTX M/S in a Load range E. I was going on a little faith from internet reading.

We've had them on one week and I've done a 30 mile tow with our 7k pound trailer. First, I am surprised, but it seems my highway mileage has increased about 1mpg. It is a heavier tire, but maybe less rolling resistance? Second, the stability and tracking with the trailer is immediately noticeable. I may have lost .5mpg towing, but so hard to tell still.

IMO, these tires look terrible. I put that aside to go with what many say are the market leaders. So far, I'm impressed.

Oh...Discount Tire put 38 pounds in them and the ride was hardly different. I put 52 pounds in them for this short camping trip, and they did ride firmer...but nothing harsh.
2013 F150, EBoost,4x4,CC, MaxTow
2015 Surveyor 245BHS

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote