Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #1

Two inch hitch for bike rack on 317rl

My 2014 317rl bumper states to not install any non factory equipment to the bumper. I have a two inch hitch made to bolt to the 4inch bumper. The hitch states to be used with continuous welded bumper. The bumper attaches to frame with what looks like 1 1/2 inch fillet welds. Should I have the frame attachment continuously welded? Only want to carry two bicycles.
Ejwitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

Odds have your bumper is not strong enough. Do a search on bike carriers and or carry bike and you so find numerous threads on this subject and alternatives. If your trailer did not cone with a factory hitch unless you have one welded on you should not carry them. I am not sure why they even sell those bolt on hitches. Their use is very limited
Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

If you have a welded I beam frame, I would suggest NOT doing it. The 4" bumpers are not made of thick enough metal to support anything other than what the factory puts on them.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #4

There are many posts on carrying bikes on a bumper. My personal experiences maybe different than others. If you choose to do it, secure the bikes well as the forces the bikes will receive while in motion is amazing. Yes, i lost a bike. The forces the frame sees because the bikes are out beyond the bumper may damage the frame of some trailers. Good luck.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #5

Thank you. Lots of things I did not consider. After a lot of research I am going with a curt front hitch and a rack made only for a two inch hitch and supports bikes from bottom. Never did like me yak, fold down. Much to much play in all the fit ups.
Ejwitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejwitman View Post
Thank you. Lots of things I did not consider. After a lot of research I am going with a curt front hitch and a rack made only for a two inch hitch and supports bikes from bottom. Never did like me yak, fold down. Much to much play in all the fit ups.
Good choice. After many failed attempts, it was how I transported my bikes until we got so we did not bring them at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 020.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	63349  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, hitch